Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route
I read 'Freightliner box truck' that was converted to a RV ...what ever that entails, and the NTSB mentioned a combined weight of 57,000 lbs. that included the large three axle Haulmark trailer. I did wondered why one of the adults were not driving and apparently, it requires a special license with the number of passengers on board. There was a 'loophole' in the law that somehow allowed the 17 year old teen to legally drive the rig...Holy Cow! Bob

Edit: If you click 'loophole', the article describes the combo a little better.
That same 'loophole' allows most of the volunteer firefighters, EMTs and first responders to drive emergency vehicles also. No CDL or airbrake endorsement required.

I see the 17 year old as being the bad choice for the driver (IMHO), the vehicle with to many passengers but we also do not know what happened.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Richard, where did you get your information. The pictures would indicate the unit was a Showhauler, ShowHauler Products.

fred
Fred,

If that Freightliner rig is anywhere close to being a Showhauler Product, I will buy you a brand new one. If it isn't, then you can buy me one, deal?

Here are some links to the photos and news reports of the accident. After you read the stories and look at all of the photos, I will let you decide.

5 killed in RV crash | StarTribune.com

5 from Jordan, Minn., killed in Kansas motor home crash | StarTribune.com

Motor home crash kills 5 in Minn. family - Chicago Sun-Times

Minn. family in fatal crash was on motocross trip | CJOnline.com

Now go back and take a close look at the Showhauler website you had referred to. I believe I saw one photo in the Build Process that clearly shows the Showhauler superstructure. Do you see anything that even closely resembles that same superstructure left on top of the flatbed?

I'd say they took an old Frightliner flatbed truck and built a box onto the top of it that possibly resembled a motor-home but in reality it was not. I would dare guess that it wasn't even CLOSE to being RVIA approved.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Richard, check this out.

Deadly Class C toterhome RV crash kills 5 in Kansas - National RVing | Examiner.com

Toterhomes For Sale

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I don't know that there is a major correlation in needing to know how something works in order to be competent in using it. I really don't know much about how the electricity in my house works, but I do know how to turn the lights and applicances that use it on and off.
Wouldn't you like to be able to recognize a problem before it bites you. There are several things that can go wrong with an air brake system and having a basic knowledge about how they work could save you from an accident. Does not mean you have to fix it yourself.

On the other point, your not driving your house down the road, so not knowing how your electricity works is no threat to you or others on the road.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
I would dare guess that the news article referring to a Toterhome is just another news article that has reported incorrect information as do so many articles that I have read during my lifetime. If fact I have a news article written about myself back when I was a teenager that has incorrect information about exactly what happen during the emergency.

Never believe any news that is ever published as the writers just don't have a clue. Most of the stuff written in newspapers is barely 50% accurate.

Look at the attached photo of the Showhauler RV Superstructure. Now look at the attached photo of the crash scene. Do you see ANY of the steel integrated welded superstructure left on top of that flatbed?

I would find it very hard to believe that the entire welded steel superstructure was severed from the flatbed. if there were even some of the mangled superstructure in any of the photos left on top of the flatbed, I would accept that it may be a RV Showhauler Toterhome, RV, etc. But there isn't one piece.

That was not a RV by anyone's even remote stretch of their imagination or was ever approved by the RVIA.

I rest my case.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.gif
Views:	69
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	19713   Click image for larger version

Name:	4kctv.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	19714  

Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #34

slickest 1, being a retired truck driver I do agree about the brakes,, if you got air brakes you at lest orght to know how to check your breakes..wen you going down the road and find you don't have any is a little late..
Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #35

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The driver was a 17 yr old with a provisional license. Only 2 of the 18 were in seat belts. It was described as a "Freightliner cab and Haulmark trailer" with no seat belts in the trailer, only in the truck cab, a Minnesota loophole in the law.
It's not a "loophole" in the law, it's just not required under the law. Same here in WA, only the driver and front passenger are required to have and use a seat belt. And, again, it's not a "loophole", it's the law.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardan1 View Post
What it comes down to is there are no special licenses required for anybody to drive a vehicle licensed as an RV. I believe anyone wanting to buy and drive there RV over 26,000lbs should have to take a drivers course. I've met and also seen a lot of people who had never driven anything bigger than an SUV Get in and take off with a 40 foot coach with no experience.
There are, in fact, special licenses for people to drive motorhomes in some states. WA is one that has no special requirement, TX is one that does. Each state makes their own laws on drivers requirements for non-commercial drivers licenses, but there is reciprocity on them, unlike some other licenses.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote