Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Another MH Accident Makes the News!

A Freightliner Toter Home headed home from Texas crashes off a bridge in SE Kansas. 18 people on board, 5 killed
Motor home crash kills 5 in northeast Kansas - Welcome to Charter.net
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Tragic. 18 people in the MH could sure be a distraction to the driver, but where in the world did they put all thos people??
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
It was like a semi truck, the driver was in front, motor bikes and people in back. Large family deal. They still don't know if the folks in back had seat belts on. They were young children through young adult ages. Might have been 2 families combined... hard to get the complete story yet.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #4

Accident

Sad as it may be, everybody jumping to conclusions doesn't help anyone nor the RV industry. The vehicle involved was towing a large trailer with motorcycles and the like in the trailer. As to the number of people in the RV and did they have proper seating and restraint systems for them is yet to be decided.
2 or 3 years ago we had a couple of truck chassis RV's in the shop that had triple bunks down both sides inside the unit. Sleeping capacity was 29 on each and they were used to transport semi pro hockey and baseball teams aroung the country. They were licensed as trucks, were clasified as commercial vehicles and comformed to the same rules of the road as a semi has to. These vehicles exist and some are better built than others. i am sure that given the ravine that this coach would up in, no coach would have survived well.
I hope that all the truth will come out in the end. Even thought the driver is "just" 17, doesn't point to his experience in the unit. Some farm kids from the rural areas grew up in big units and can handle them better than most pros can. The truth will come out in time. In the meantime, just keep all those involved in your prayers.

Precision Frame & Alignment
Dick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
The driver was a 17 yr old with a provisional license. Only 2 of the 18 were in seat belts. It was described as a "Freightliner cab and Haulmark trailer" with no seat belts in the trailer, only in the truck cab, a Minnesota loophole in the law. According to MN laws, a private motorhome could be driven by 17 yr old, if everyone was seat belted.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #6

What it comes down to is there are no special licenses required for anybody to drive a vehicle licensed as an RV. I believe anyone wanting to buy and drive there RV over 26,000lbs should have to take a drivers course. I've met and also seen a lot of people who had never driven anything bigger than an SUV Get in and take off with a 40 foot coach with no experience.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardan1 View Post
What it comes down to is there are no special licenses required for anybody to drive a vehicle licensed as an RV. I believe anyone wanting to buy and drive there RV over 26,000lbs should have to take a drivers course. I've met and also seen a lot of people who had never driven anything bigger than an SUV Get in and take off with a 40 foot coach with no experience.
I couldn't agree more about the need to require special license to operate big rigs. Some states DO require special non-commercial licenses to operate large vehicles but not enough IMO.

BTW, I was one of those you mention who had never driven anything larger than an SUV pulling a ski boat when I drove my new 40DP off the lot. It's turned out fine so far (I now have my Texas Class B) but I'm sure others have not been so fortunate.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #8

This accident, like all others, is indeed unfortunate, especially given they are almost always preventable. What we don’t need is a knee jerk reaction suggesting more regulations and/or licensing. Having been a boater for a number of years this topic leads to spirited discussion.

Licensing typically is established to make sure those licensed understand the rules of the road and the fundamentals of driving. They can’t teach experience and experience can’t be evaluated if you aren’t given the opportunity to gain experience.

What is it that we must understand before we operate an RV? I would support written testing of the unique requirements of RV operation if they would really reduce the risk of RV operation, which I’m not convinced they would. I could care less if they do a practical driving test and even less if the test involves anything not directly related to the safe operation of an RV.

I have said RV and not Class A, B, or C or travel trailer or 5th wheel intentionally. Anyone that thinks a self powered RV presents more of a risk than a trailer being towed is simply wrong. Is an RV any less of a risk if it weighs less than 26,000 pounds than one that weighs more? Of course not. The damage that could result from a 40,000 pound vehicle is certainly more than that from a lighter RV, but the education and licensing should be the same. BTW, are we talking about a 26,000 RV or a combined weight of 26,000? At a combined weight of 26,000 pounds we’ll be including a lot of trailer towers.

My first trailer was a 20 something foot Airstream and my first motor home is the one I have, a 43-footer with tag axle pulling a SUV. I didn’t have practical experience with either before I bought them. I did study up on the unique driving considerations for both. Frankly, the motor home is easier to drive. I suggest the motor home also less risky to others.

Okay, I’ll get off my soap box now and hope our legislators aren’t compelled to over react to this accident or others.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I have said RV and not Class A, B, or C or travel trailer or 5th wheel intentionally. Anyone that thinks a self powered RV presents more of a risk than a trailer being towed is simply wrong. Is an RV any less of a risk if it weighs less than 26,000 pounds than one that weighs more? Of course not. The damage that could result from a 40,000 pound vehicle is certainly more than that from a lighter RV, but the education and licensing should be the same. BTW, are we talking about a 26,000 RV or a combined weight of 26,000? At a combined weight of 26,000 pounds we’ll be including a lot of trailer towers.
Thanks for your views Gil. I too intentionally didn't specify Class A, B, or C when sharing my opinion. I feel that towing large trailers may well even require more special skills than driving a Class A. My intention was to include all "big rigs" without specifying a particular weight. That's for the experts to decide.

I do, however, see a significant difference in the skill requirements and the threat to public safety when comparing a Class B van conversion to a 45' tag axle Class A DP with air brakes.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
How many motor homes do have you seen being driven by a very young person. Besides this was not a motor home by any stretch of the imagination. This whole thread is completely senseless. [Sarcastic remark removed by moderator]
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where to put 18 people in a Motor home I can't guess, However I once made a short low speed trip in a Dodge B-250 Maxi Van which was partially converted,, I had 13 passangers (14 total) in the van, Yes, it was very 'Friendly" in fact one rather happy young lady was sitting on the movie star/producer/author/director's lap. But as I said, it was a very short trip,, Basiclly one parking lot (Very big) to the next (Rather small) and no streets save the one I crossed.

So you can pack 'em in.. For a short trip.

NOTE: The movie star was supposed to have ridden with someone else, but his ride left without him and mine was the "last train to Clarksville" as it wre.

(Actually the "Whatever are they calling it this week inn" but that's a joke too).
Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #12

When I had mentioned 26,000 lbs, it was only that most class C licenses allow the operator to drive any non commercial vehicle up to said weight. So any weights above this would need different licensing. I have seen a few states that require the different licensing for the non-commercial heavier vehicles, but there is no enforcement. Law enforcement isn't going to pull every RV over just to check licenses.
All commercial drivers have to have endorsements for whatever they carry, including and endorsement for AIR Brakes. But as mentioined before, most people have never driven anything larger than an SUV then add one with Air Brakes. SCARY
Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L
Sad as it may be, everybody jumping to conclusions doesn't help anyone nor the RV industry. The vehicle involved was towing a large trailer with motorcycles and the like in the trailer. As to the number of people in the RV and did they have proper seating and restraint systems for them is yet to be decided.
2 or 3 years ago we had a couple of truck chassis RV's in the shop that had triple bunks down both sides inside the unit. Sleeping capacity was 29 on each and they were used to transport semi pro hockey and baseball teams aroung the country. They were licensed as trucks, were clasified as commercial vehicles and comformed to the same rules of the road as a semi has to. These vehicles exist and some are better built than others. i am sure that given the ravine that this coach would up in, no coach would have survived well.
I hope that all the truth will come out in the end. Even thought the driver is "just" 17, doesn't point to his experience in the unit. Some farm kids from the rural areas grew up in big units and can handle them better than most pros can. The truth will come out in time. In the meantime, just keep all those involved in your prayers.
Well said!
NuB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L View Post
I hope that all the truth will come out in the end. Even thought the driver is "just" 17, doesn't point to his experience in the unit. Some farm kids from the rural areas grew up in big units and can handle them better than most pros can.
Maybe, but I have some serious doubts in that comparison. The 'Provisional License' this teen held speaks volumes that doesn't exactly exude experience. Even the state's 'graduated licensing system' puts him in their 'second tier' of experience in obtaining a full license. The State of Minnesota Graduated License System

The NTSB is now going to look into the circumstances of the accident that will include the laws allowing the 17 year old to drive the 57,000 pound unit. NTSB Looking Into Kan. RV Crash That Killed 5 - ABC News

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote