Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Another Newbie Question-Water Tanks

We have a Fleetwood Bounder 33C. The water tank is mounted in the center of the chassis and holds 80 gallons. The manufacturer recommends that all of the tanks be empty during travel whenever possible to save weight, and fuel. I've read in some older posts that 2/3 full tank for handling is recommended.

I am looking for some seasoned advice from the wise folks that frequent this forum.

Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
I own a Bounder with a 100. Gallon tank and I travel full all the time and really can't tell thee difference either way. If I lived in the mountains that would be different. I could have you drive and let you guess if was full or not and you couldn't tell. Been driving Motorhomes for over 30 years

TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
640(+/-) pounds sounds like a lot but not that big of a deal to haul unless of course it's all uphill. I used to carry just enough water with me to get to the next campsite until I ran into a campground where the water was just awful. Smelled bad and tasted worse. So now if I have not been to a particular campground before, I will load up on water. May not be a full tank, but enough to last the length of the stay.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
We fill the fresh water tanks to the top and empty the black and grey tanks at every reasonable opportunity. We rarely use commercial campgrounds and rarely pay to dump so smartest to assume it might be many days between access to facilities.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
National RV Owners Club
I would say that it does not hurt to carry some fresh water enough for a few days.
And if you don't dump your tanks for one reasion or another you might dump your unused ice cubs in your black water tank while you are travaling just to keep things broken up.
Another thing to keep in mine is if your going to have to drive on a windy day keep plenty of water in your tank for ballistics it may keep the wind from blowing your rig around while your driving.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We usually travel with full water tank, ran out one time and that won't happen again. It does seem to handle wind better when traveling.
Randy, Cindy and Mickey (Our Rat Terrier)
2009 American Tradition 42C
Cadillac SRX/Blue Ox/Air Force One
Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We carry about half a tank (100 gal tank) most of the time, just so we are prepared. That's about 400 lbs, which we don't even notice in a rig that weighs in at 37,700 (with toad). For lighter rigs its a larger percentage, but really only an effect when climbing hills (or braking on the downhill side).

With the tank mounted in the center, it won't affect handling at all.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Here's my thoughts. With all the great apps for phones and sites for computers it's pretty easy to plan a trip and know where you're going to overnight and what hook ups will be available where you stop. If the first leg of a trip is say 500 miles or so and the first overnight spot has full hook ups, we would fill the water tank with enough water for a few flushes and wash ups. If the next leg ended up somewhere where there were no hook ups, like some campgrounds or boondocking in a parking area of some sort, we would fill with more water for flushes, wash ups and morning showers.

For us it all boils down to what we need. At 8 lbs a gallon our 90 gallon tank can possibly be an extra 720 lbs. If we need it we'll fill it, otherwise we'll fill up with just what we need.

As far as estimating how much water you're adding to the tank. We purchased a inline meter off of ebay for $20. It shows exactly how many gallons you've pumped through it. A lot more accurate than the lights on the panel inside.
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
If the amount of water is going to affect trailer handling it will be with a partial full tank (like 1/2 full. If you make a sudden move to the side, the water will slosh to the side and back. You may not feel it but it is doing it. A full or empty tank can't do that. I have driven water tankers on fire depts and a truck with 1/2 of a 3K gal. tank is no fun. If we had a long trip back to water, we would dump the tank.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #10

We usually carry a lot of what since we may not know the water quality of the next stop. Have you ever filled your tank with sulfur smelling water? Not easy to get rid of all the smell & taste.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is online now   Reply With Quote