Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #1

Oh boy...just when you think you've got something sold, you get one of these...

>From: mr Martin <globemotors212@yahoo.com>
>Date: Fri May 20 12:49:38 CDT 2005
>To: [Me]
>Subject: payment information

> Thank you for your response,after discussing with my client who really commended your vehicle has instructed to move on with the deal at the price of $24,800 ,he said he will be going on a vacation soon and will rest virtually all the transaction on my shoulder and assign a shipper like wise that i will work with and stressed that he will be issuing out a cashier check of ($32,000) which was a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by him but will be filed in your name,you are only required to deduct the cost of your vehicle($24,800) and send the differece ($7,200) when payment gets to you to a shipping agent whoose information will be given to you as at when due, he will be needing the fund to offset shipping charges, taxes and other cosmetic repairs/touches,the agent will be responsible for signing and transfering of title paper and also pick-up.
>So i require of you to send me your NAME,ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER for payme! nt to be delivered to you via fedex courier services .All other information needed in completion of this transaction will be given to you in due time.
>Best Regard
[original signed by a "williams"]

My reply:

"No thank you...know this scam way too much...cash only, for the amount of $24,800 usd, in person, then it'll be a done deal-that way I can screw you before you screw me".

I betcha, after seeing quite a few of these in our business, that they would want me to ship it to Nigeria...

I just feel so sorry for the people who have fallen for this, hence, the warning!

Sean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #2

Oh boy...just when you think you've got something sold, you get one of these...

>From: mr Martin <globemotors212@yahoo.com>
>Date: Fri May 20 12:49:38 CDT 2005
>To: [Me]
>Subject: payment information

> Thank you for your response,after discussing with my client who really commended your vehicle has instructed to move on with the deal at the price of $24,800 ,he said he will be going on a vacation soon and will rest virtually all the transaction on my shoulder and assign a shipper like wise that i will work with and stressed that he will be issuing out a cashier check of ($32,000) which was a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by him but will be filed in your name,you are only required to deduct the cost of your vehicle($24,800) and send the differece ($7,200) when payment gets to you to a shipping agent whoose information will be given to you as at when due, he will be needing the fund to offset shipping charges, taxes and other cosmetic repairs/touches,the agent will be responsible for signing and transfering of title paper and also pick-up.
>So i require of you to send me your NAME,ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER for payme! nt to be delivered to you via fedex courier services .All other information needed in completion of this transaction will be given to you in due time.
>Best Regard
[original signed by a "williams"]

My reply:

"No thank you...know this scam way too much...cash only, for the amount of $24,800 usd, in person, then it'll be a done deal-that way I can screw you before you screw me".

I betcha, after seeing quite a few of these in our business, that they would want me to ship it to Nigeria...

I just feel so sorry for the people who have fallen for this, hence, the warning!

Sean

Old 05-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yep ,I still get them and I sold my 5th wheel over a year ago.
Some guy in British Guiana wanted me to "launder" some money for him as well.
Then there was the prince in Nigeria who needed some place to live!
Chet
Old 05-21-2005, 12:25 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
hey guys, thanks for passing this opportunity to me
seems like a good deal !
i just mailed the Prince of Nigeria the $7000
looks like my troubles will be over very soon
FatDog
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:11 AM   #5

Read more on the CASHIER CHECK SCAM. It is an old one still in the works.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/carsale.asp

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:34 AM   #6

We recently sold our 5th wheel. We had it listed on 5 different internet sites. We had 9 different replies from scam-scum, all with the same scheme "I have a client who really likes your whatever....". Luckily we were aware of the scheme before hand. We finally sold it thru a local newspaper.

Wilson(Maltese)
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
I was approached with the same scam in Florida in 2001. I had listed our Sunnybrook TT in the St. Pete Times which also runs the classified on the web. That Algerian fellow sure gets around. Did sell it to some folks in Tallahasse about 150 miles north of Crystal River through the web classified. So the web ads work; just be careful out there.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That Algerian fellow sure gets around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His whole family is in on it! And what a family...about 2 billion and counting!

What gets me is someone who would actually buy something sight-unseen...that should be the first red flag, huh?

Fatdog- maybe you could have that gigantic write-off you were looking for- called "gambling debt".
Old 05-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
However, I just met someone recently who bought 2 cars sight unseen from the internet.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:31 AM   #10

Lynnvt:

e-Bay? I guess if there's plenty of pics and documentation, there could be some safety there, but I'd be nervous as all heck!

Sure wish yor contact would buy my '95 WW that way!

Sean
Old 05-24-2005, 03:49 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I don't remember who told me this. I just remember because I too was surprised. I don't usually buy anything on ebay that I can't afford to lose the cash. I never have but that's the amount of risk I'm willing to take. I would never buy a car or rv without seeing it.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:36 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
I bought my current tow vehicle on E-Bay. After much research, I determined that a full size van would give us the most amount of tow vehicle for the least amount of money. I looked around locally but that no one locally sells full size vans (except maybe once a year to a church group). Anyway, after deciding which van I wanted I just started looking on E-Bay. The one I found was from a dealer in Texas that had a 100% feedback rating. The van had 25,000 miles on it so I knew it was still under factory warantee. I figured the dealer would not want to risk his 100% rating by selling me a dog and anything that broke would be covered under warantee.

I met the truck at our local mall, checked it out and signed for it. It was a very positive experience and I'd recommend it to anybody. (As long as you have done your research and know exactly what you want).

I would have been much more hesitant if it was an individual, not a dealer, or if the warantee had expired.

Hope this helps.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:27 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Cordie collects those little Christmas Tree decorations and also is an avid football fan.
The only thing we have ever bought off the Ebay was hard to find or very interesting Cristmas tree decorations. We have only bought a couple dozen times and we have a 100% pay record.

One day in early December we saw a small vintage Joe Montana (Cordie's HERO!!!) Christmas tree decoration, and we sent our money to the Ebay guy ($30). Joe arrived with a broken leg, and it had been amatuerishly glued back on showing total disregard for the grand football player he was . Cordie was saddened and we have never looked at Ebay again.
She stills hangs broken Joe every year on the front of the tree.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
I would think you have to be very astute & cautious using E-Bay. It's the 80/20 rule in play. 80% honest joes 20% charlatans. I have, however, bought a couple of attachments for my food mixer on E-Bay and a few hard to find service manuals at Half.com with good results.

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote