Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 03:14 AM   #1

Another Reason Not To Go To Camping World

Had to order a new CO2/Propane detector, and knowing better, ordered it from Camping World. Took 2 weeks to get it. In this internet day and age, 2 weeks is a long time. But that's okay. What really gets me is they charged sales tax. I live in Missouri. The part was shipped from Bakersfield. Not even processed in Missouri. Not a lot of money, but the point is that they are such a crummy outfit to deal with, even just ordering parts.

RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 03:24 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree two weeks is a long time in today's age. As for tbe sales tax if a company has any locations in your state they have To charge sales tax.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #3

If Amazon doesn't have it; you don't need it.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Had to order a new CO2/Propane detector, and knowing better, ordered it from Camping World. Took 2 weeks to get it. In this internet day and age, 2 weeks is a long time. But that's okay. What really gets me is they charged sales tax. I live in Missouri. The part was shipped from Bakersfield. Not even processed in Missouri. Not a lot of money, but the point is that they are such a crummy outfit to deal with, even just ordering parts.
The sales tax is something that will be charged regardless of where you live. The tax law uses something called Nexus. If Camping World has any employees or locations within the state of Missouri they are required to collect the tax. The days of "I'll buy it online and not pay the sales tax" are going to fewer and farther between.

I'm not as big of a believer in the on-line shopping experience as many are. Every sale that happens on-line when the same product is available locally hurts the local businesses. Then when you need something in a hurry you won't be able to get it.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #5

You said you knew better and ordered anyway. Well done As far as the tax, what are the odds the money was spent on something that actually benefits us taxpayers?
Old 09-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The sales tax is something that will be charged regardless of where you live. The tax law uses something called Nexus. If Camping World has any employees or locations within the state of Missouri they are required to collect the tax. The days of "I'll buy it online and not pay the sales tax" are going to fewer and farther between.

I'm not as big of a believer in the on-line shopping experience as many are. Every sale that happens on-line when the same product is available locally hurts the local businesses. Then when you need something in a hurry you won't be able to get it.
X2....I don't buy on line for a lot of reasons, like you said it hurts the local businesses. Pretty soon you won't have the local businesses to run to when you need something in a hurry, or need some advice. If you look at a lot of the local businesses that have went out of business, it is because they can't compete with people who buy on line just so they don't have to do anything, even drive to a store, even when they aren't saving money. I like to see what I'm buying/paying for and appreciate some of the experience that those local shops have to add. As for taxes, it's a part of life, if nobody paid any taxes, we'd be in an even bigger mess than we are now.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:

I totally agree- to a point. The part I needed (CO2/Propane Detector) was such a difference in price at the local dealer that I had to order online. Get me within 5-10 dollars, and I'll buy locally. But when you're 20 bucks higher than online, I gotta go with the cheap price. It gets kind of frustrating, doesn't it? At least now I understand the tax part. There's probably a Camping World in every state.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I only go to Camping World to see and hold the part or item I intend to purchase to make sure it's what I want. Once I am satisfied I go home and order it from Amazon for 10 to 20% less.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #9

a couple of years ago.. laws were added for Tax and the internet....

A year ago after purchasing a product over the internet and had it delivered to a campground in South Carolina. months later I received a letter saying I owed a TAX on that purchase.. and it was thru Amazon..

not CW,, but local dealer, I wanted vent covers.. (3).. went to local RV store.. they had a sale on them... and I saved 8 dollars over Amazon price.
they most have had 50 of them....
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Hammer View Post
a couple of years ago.. laws were added for Tax and the internet....

A year ago after purchasing a product over the internet and had it delivered to a campground in South Carolina. months later I received a letter saying I owed a TAX on that purchase.. and it was thru Amazon..

not CW,, but local dealer, I wanted vent covers.. (3).. went to local RV store.. they had a sale on them... and I saved 8 dollars over Amazon price.
they most have had 50 of them....

Actually the law regarding sales tax and the Internet never passed. What probably happened is that after the sale someone realized that the company selling you the product had Nexus in South Carolina. To give you an example, most of the work being done by NYS sales tax auditors is being done outside of NY State. That is a huge generator of sales tax for them.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Actually the law regarding sales tax and the Internet never passed. What probably happened is that after the sale someone realized that the company selling you the product had Nexus in South Carolina. To give you an example, most of the work being done by NYS sales tax auditors is being done outside of NY State. That is a huge generator of sales tax for them.
I am sure you are correct...

as I have trouble just doing my 1040.. every year. and I purchase a on-line service.

my local tax preparer Retired. She was good, and helpful.

Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping