Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

Another Tire Question Post

We were hoping not to have to deal with tires for at least another year but on our way back from Colorado, we noticed a different tire sound and a vibration in the steering wheel. Both front tires have, for lack of a better description, "ridge" on the inside of the tires. From this ridge to the edge of the tire, the tires seems to slant down. The ridge seems to be about an inch from the edge.

They are Goodyear 275/70/22.5 and born in late 2010. We just turned over 21,000 miles. From the 4 corner weighing we had done last fall, the front should have 105lb pressure and the rears 95. The tire pressures were adjusted accordingly.

From reading here and other forums, it looks like Toyo is a decent tire and while still expensive, isn't as expensive as some others. We think we need to replace at least the front tires. The rear tires seem to be okay.

I know there is a lot of weight on the tires so construction is important but we aren't going to put 70,000 miles on a set in 6 or 7 years.

What would cause the "ridging"?

Are there any negatives about the Toyo tires that we need to know?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
So lemme see if I have this right. The tires are sommth, but the inside is wearing faster than the outside -- zat about right? Seems like an alignment problem, or maybe worn steering parts, like tie rod ends. Wither way, and alignment is gonna find any worn parts and, of course, get the rig steering straight is the parts are ok. If the tires aren't too bad, maybe move them to the rear -- but they are 5 years old, maybe throw them away (sell them to a trucker who'll put them on his trailer and wear them out in a month).

I bought some Hercules tires off SimpleTire.com and had them shipped to and mounted at my local Les Schwab. I used balance beads instead of tire weights -- pretty cool tech. Love the ride for the 7000 miles I've had them, and they never have to be rebalanced. But start with the alignment, tires should wear flat and even; if they don't it's usually an alignment problem.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nope, that's the famous GoodYear "rivering" problem. Well known with some GoodYear tires.

Do a search or two on "rivering" and you should find lots of reading here. Here's one to start with: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/goody...ing-75862.html
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

Gary thought alignment too but after reading the rivering thread, that sounds more like what the problem is. I'll try to get pics and post tomorrow.

After researching "rivering" a bit, some say it's only cosmetic and it's safe to use the tire but I have reservations about that, especially on the front tires.

Is Goodyear replacing the tires due to this problem? (One can hope!)
Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #5

Commercial Member

A good, in focus, well lit (full sunlight) picture would help. We only need to see the tread.
Try and get a shot showing the ridge by shoting across the tread surface.

Have you visited a Goodyear Truck tire center>
Old 09-21-2015, 06:38 AM   #6

This is the best pic I was able to get right now:

No, we don't off road except to turn around in a newly mowed yard!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I had Goodyear tires ( 2 sets -G670 275/70 22.5) for about 11 years on a 36' DP with no sign of rivering. Many others were not as fortunate. Goodyear maintains it is cosmetic and does not replace.. If your edge of the tire is worn, it may be alignment.
Good photo of rivering: Corner/edge of the tire is not worn, wear goes toward the groove.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #8

Commercial Member

Yep, that condition is "Rivering". It is primarily cosmetic and I am not aware of tires failing because of this irregular wear condition.

A Goodyear truck tire dealer should be able to address the best action plan, if any, to address this wear issue.

Since you said in the OP that you were hoping for another year on your tires I think that you should be able to go that long on the tires you have, and if the Goodyear truck tire dealer says to just keep driving for another few thousand miles I would be comfortable with that. Now if you want to do something you could rotate the two fronts to one side on the drive axle and move one set of duals to the front position.
Since this condition is well documented as a function of the Goodyear it is even arguable that Goodyear should pay for the tire rotation.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #9

Surprise, Tireman9 gives solid advice!! If the ride is bothering you that much, then go ahead and shift them around as noted above, even paying for it and possibly rebalancing the wheels coming from the rear to the front.

The key, is if Goodyear still feels all your tires are safe. If not, then sure not worth trying to go that extra year or so!

And if you want new tires on the front, Toyo makes a good tire. If you want, you could also check into the FMCA Tire Purchase Program. These would be either Michelin or BG Goodrich (Made by Michelin.). We just lost two tires while on this trip, due to damaged cords via a pot hole the size of the meteor crater in AZ!! (Yeah, slight exaggeration - but it was a big, deep sucker, with a sharp edge. Could not avoid it due to traffic conditions!) Due tot he Michelin tire shortage, now coming back into the tire distribution pipeline, we ended up with 2 BF Goodrich ST230's. With the FMCA tire savings, they were less the the Toyo and Bridgestone's that were also available. We put them on our steers, and like the ride.

Best of luck to you, and travel safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #10

The OP says it creates a vibration in the steering wheel. That, to me, is more than a cosmetic issue.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Agree, a vibration isn't cosmetic. But rivering doesn't cause vibration either, so I think he also has either a tire balance issue or maybe a small alignment problem. Just because rivering is present doesn't mean it is the source of the problem. One of the basic rules of logic, "Correlation is not Causation", applies here.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #12

Experienced this many times on our school buses.It does cause a vibration after awile.
dakratdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #13

We're going to replace the front tires. From my perch on the passenger side, I noticed a different sound from a tire, mentioned it to Gary and he said he could feel a vibration in the steering wheel. Whether it's rivering or something else, neither of us would be comfortable making another trip. In fact, if we can't get new tires within a couple of weeks, we'll cancel our last long weekend of the season.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #14

Commercial Member

Karen & Gary
Sorry to hear things got bad enough that they might affect your RV travels.

I think this points out the need for closer annual inspection of tires for ALL RV owners.

You don't need to be a Tire Engineer to do a basic inspection. Back in Aug 12 2014 I did a post just on the topic of "How to Inspect your tires"

Basically IMO if you spent about 2 minutes, by the clock, on each tire on your RV, looking for anything different that normal uniform tread wear that you would see on all your tires, you would not be "blind-sided" with some problem.
When I say "by the clock" I want to be sure you take your time and look closely at ALL the tread surface and BOTH sidewalls. As shown in the post you need good lighting too.

If you see some condition you have any question about you could snap a picture and post it on this forum with a title such "Is this a tire problem" or you could check with the tire dealer you bought the tire from and ask if you need to bring in the RV for closer inspection by the dealer.