Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello everyone. I have searched "Winterization" and "Storage" but have come up with no answers to my particular situation with extreme climates. I have placed our coach into storage for the winter and removed the plasma and LCD TV's. When I was down getting service in Decatur this summer I asked leaving the jacks up or down for the 6-7 months it will be in storage during the cold -40 degree temperatures here in the north and they suggested I leave the jacks up. I have emptied all the tanks and blown out the lines. I have placed the RV antifreeze in all the drains (couple cups full) and left all the taps open. I have not placed anything in the washer/dryer combo unit at the moment, should I? I will place the tires on 2 by 12 pieces of wood and then take out the batteries as there is no electrical plug. It is indoor storage with a concrete floor but no heat. I have left three fans up and removed the fuses. Anything else I could do?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello everyone. I have searched "Winterization" and "Storage" but have come up with no answers to my particular situation with extreme climates. I have placed our coach into storage for the winter and removed the plasma and LCD TV's. When I was down getting service in Decatur this summer I asked leaving the jacks up or down for the 6-7 months it will be in storage during the cold -40 degree temperatures here in the north and they suggested I leave the jacks up. I have emptied all the tanks and blown out the lines. I have placed the RV antifreeze in all the drains (couple cups full) and left all the taps open. I have not placed anything in the washer/dryer combo unit at the moment, should I? I will place the tires on 2 by 12 pieces of wood and then take out the batteries as there is no electrical plug. It is indoor storage with a concrete floor but no heat. I have left three fans up and removed the fuses. Anything else I could do?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The washer needs winterizing too - there are instructions in the Splendide manual. Basically you need to drain its water lines and put some antifreeze in it too.

Another thing that needs winterizing is the ice maker. There is a water supply line and electrically operated valve (solenoid)that must be drained.

You might try searching on "winterize" rather than "winterization" - it should turn up further details on the washer and ice maker.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:21 AM   #4

You need to run the antifreeze through all your water lines, not just the drains. The reason for this is that blowing your lines can still leave water trapped in the curves of the water lines. For the price of the antifreeze you can save your self thousands in water damage. You can bypass the water tank with a kit. Also put some in the hotwater heater. Usually there is a bypass so you do not have to fill it up.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hang the Showerhead down and let RV Antifreeze run through it... very important... I lost 2 Showerheads, when I lived in Alberta, even 1 in BC last winter

Lets have a mild winter
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Here ya go:
Winterizing Your Splendide Washer/Dryer
Icemaker Winterizing

I agree with running RV antifreeze through the lines. I disagree with putting RV antifreeze into the water heater. It will take forever to get it flushed out. Empty then leave the plug out.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
N.C.,

Don't forget the engine! Check the radiator and make sure the other fluid levels are full.

What is the temp there now and when does it start getting cold?

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #8

here in northern mn it still gets up into the low 60's and lows in the 30's last fri high temp of 79 wow last one of those we'll see for lets say 8 months or so

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #9

Do not foreget the out side shower if You have one and water filter also must be removed as it will swell and may break the shell.Just for Your heads up folks...Bushman
Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. I will follow the instructions for the Washer/Dryer and the Ice maker as well. I did drain the water heater and left the plug out. I will also have the engine fluids checked and winterize the showerhead too. Everything cost something to replace right. The weather up here at the moment is 2 Celsius or 35 Fahrenheit. So far this fall the coolest evening has been -6 Celsius or 21 Fahrenheit. After all this is done out come the battery's and then I count the days until we can get the coach out again and start enjoying the time with our children again.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Didn't hear a reply about how cold it gets there in the winter. Potable antifreeze is only good to about -30 deg. F. or something like that. Having a little water in the plastic lines doesn't normally pose a problem as long as it isn't at a fitting or completely fills the line since freezing a little water doesn't hurt anything. We have winterized the house in Wyoming dozens of times where it gets routinely below -30 deg. F or -40 deg. F. We just use air to blow out the water heater and each line individually. Normally it takes about 40 minutes to complete the job. One has to put real antifreeze (ethylene glycol) in the drain traps. Your HDTV is only good to somewhere below freezing, so taking it out is probably a good idea if it gets really cold there. LCD displays also don't like really cold temperatures.

You have got some good advice so far.. Remember to charge the batteries on a regular basis through the winter. You could just hold them about 13.6 volts with some kind of trickle charger.

How cold does it get there?

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am sorry about not replying to how cold it does get here. The coldest without windchill since I have been here for the last 9 years is -42 Celsius or -43.6 Fahrenheit. With the windchill approximately -55 Celsius or -67 Fahrenheit. Today a high of 11 Celsius or 52 Fahrenheit with a chance of more rain.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 AM   #13

One overlooked item to winterize is the windshield washer fluid tank. Had mine freeze up solid last year, but fortunately no damage was done. Its on my list to drain this year.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #14

I use only the "purple" windshield wiper fluid ... it is good to -30 F ... so I never need to drain my tank ... and it costs only dimes more per gallon ... I use it year around ...

I also use it to pour down the drains when I winterize because it is easier to clean than the pink stuff (which leaves a residue) the purple stuff just wipes away ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote