Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #1

Antenna replacement

We are having our old concorde antenna replaced in may with a new one called
"the jack". Has anyone else had the jack put on and how does it perform? Our old concorde fell apart and no antenna is available.
Full timers
2004 TraVel Supreme /harley/jeep

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

I have heard good things about the jack as long as you're in close to a city. Now if you boon dock and want to get station 30 miles or greater you need an antennae that is directional and has some gain. Such an antennae is like the wingard bat wing that is aim-able and has an amplifier inside to increase the weak distant signal. Also by aiming the antennae you eliminate competing reflected signals that cause ghosts or other interference.

Never the less you get into a canyon or the wrong side of a mountain then all that works is your own video player of some sort or satellite. But on the whole I find my wingard bat wing does a great job in many distant locations.,as well as in the city.
Loren

Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #3

We replaced our Winegard with "The Jack" and really cannot tell the difference. Which is good, I guess, cuz it's not worse nor better...just the same
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The best antenna for distance on an RV is the Winegard Sensar IV which has the Wingman already on it. It will consistently out perform a Jack antenna.

Ken
Old 04-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The best antenna for distance on an RV is the Winegard Sensar IV which has the Wingman already on it. It will consistently out perform a Jack antenna.

Ken
The Ice Man Speaketh the truth. Only thing that beats a Sensar IV is a Sensar IV with Sensar Pro inside the RV.

I run a full blown Sensar II (With Wingman added and Sensar Pro,, Amazing how well it works. Now my problem is So much Television, So little time.

You have seen those cable/satellite ads about Record in one room, watch in another, 2 shows at one time and so on.

Well, I can record two shows while watching a 3rd This usually happens on Fri and Sat evenings when there are 3 on at one time I want to watch,, This is over the air.

Not only can I watch from the "Other room" but on my computer, My cell phone, My Android tablet, So long as I'm in range of MY router. If fact, there is a remote log in method so i can use the cell, computer or tablet from most anywhere but I'm not good enough at Internet addressing to pull that one off.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They perform well. I have dealt with four of them and have had excellent reception. You will not be disappointed.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My '14 Itasca came with the Jack instead of the Winegard. So far, I'm getting far better performance than I did with the Winegard with the Wingman.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #8

My 2y/o JACK seems to have failed. Checked all connections and even replaced the amp.

Too bad, liked it. In my driveway I used get MANY channels, now none. I moved the RV and no better.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
My 2y/o JACK seems to have failed. Checked all connections and even replaced the amp.

Too bad, liked it. In my driveway I used get MANY channels, now none. I moved the RV and no better.
I had to replace mine as well. Opened it up and nothing smelled of smoke. Could have taken a lightening surge. Current one working fine.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Jack that came on our new MH far outperforms our batwing we had on the last MH. Many more channels and crisp clear tv.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One additional point: Where I am now the Jack might well outperform the Winegard due to the fact that it's not as good. SAY WHAT? yup.

I rate an antenna by how far away I can see, Nothing made for RV's outperforms a full blown Winegard system at this time.

HOWEVER: the Jack, has a greater "Beam width" (how far off center can a station be and still get pulled in) this means less gain (Cause the tighter the beam the farther it shines, or sees in this case). and where I am just now the transmitters are a bit, scattered, per Antenna Helpwer (About a 75-80 degree arc)

Where I'll be next week that's a 45 degree arc.. Same transmitters I might add

Where I'd normally park is 60 miles from tightly grouped transmitters (Perhaps 15 degree arc) and Id not believe the jack would let me watch TV.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I had to replace mine as well. Opened it up and nothing smelled of smoke. Could have taken a lightening surge. Current one working fine.
I am in email contact with King and they say I can get just the head unit. Waiting for ordering instructions.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, antenna, replace