Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Anti Freeze for water system/pipes/tanks

Last year, I saw suggestions of using windshield washing fluid (20+ below version) as a cheaper replacement to the pink stuff you can buy at WalMart, etc.

I used it in my old clunker RV and didn't have any problems.

Any one tried this method also?

See any down sides using it?

Thanks,

Gary
GNHebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #2

I don't trust the watered down antifreeze(washer fluid). Certainly not the same. My luck it would fail at the worst spot in the unit to get to. I say pay the buck and a half extra
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Maybe in the holding tanks, but never in the water system as it's toxic.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #4

windshield washer fluid has warning that drinking it can be fatal. is saving a few bucks worth taking the chance of not flushing it all out. my life and health are worth the extra cost to me
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #5

it is also so hard to flush the warning states that the container should not be reused
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #6

What the H is 20+ below?

Start saving NOW for the good stuff and relax all winter long.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #7

Always used the pink stuff. Still use the pink stuff but in the Stick house, we take the 5er to Florida so it does need it, but since the stick house stays North we now winterize it the same as we would the 5er.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Washer fluid also contains a lot of alcohol and if there is temperature fluctuations the condensation can be absorbed by the alcohol and dilute the washer fluid and raise the freeze point allowing the fluid to freeze.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #9

Please do not use windshield washer anti-freeze in any way in your RV. While it probably will not harm the RV , think about what happens when it comes time to dump your tanks. Chances are it will be in a campground or RV park, most of which use a septic system of some sort to handle sewage. Windshield washer anti-freeze contains alcohol which is a solvent. Solvents will seriously degrade the operation of a septic system, and if solvents are introduced in sufficient quantities the system will fail.
Please have some consideration for RV park owners.
JesseJ1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #10

Don't do it!
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

Oh for cripes sakes. What can you save? Maybe $30 or less. One failure could cost you more.

"Only a rich man can afford poor quality."
K. Kiehner.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually, long about now, One of the hardwar stores (ACE I think) has decent in=store prices plus a mail in refund thingy.. I often find "pink stuff" cheaper than windshield washer fluid, and way cheaper than engine antifreeze.. If you use the mail in rebate form.

Thus, you have my position, Use the proper product.

Now, the proper product for the fresh water lines is AIR The cost is very low (A few cents worth of electricity) if it freezes, the lines in the RV will be the least of my worries, actually I won't have any worries any more save for up or down. And that won't be up to me at that point.

The trick with the dry method is the word Repeat. I know people who blow and then yammer how the water remaining in the lines pooled, froze and damaged. they forgot Peat's brother Repeat.

With all valves (including low point) open you blow, pause, (like 2 minutes or more) blow, pause, blow pause When last I freeze proofed I did this like 10 times, till finally I got no more indication of water in the lines, I then closed valves, drained the water pump (Well I"d done that a while ago) drained the Ice Maker lines and so on. and blew some more.

No problems at all.

I only used Pink in the drains and toilets,

When I used the WET method (pink in all the lines) I had to flush all that "Stuff" out come spring.. When I sued the dry method.. Well let's jsut say flushing the drains was way easier.. (Fill fresh system with water plus a bit of bleach, run through all lines till you smell bleach in the water.. Drain water and lines,,, Fill with water and baking soda, run again till you no longer smell bleach Drain

Fill with water only, run till all lines are clear, drain.

Fill with water again.

By now you have flushed the drains and toilets.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use the pink RV stuff and when you flush the system in the spring put the pink stuff back into the bottle (sink and shower faucets into a clear jar until it starts getting light pink, and dump it into the RV anit-freeze jug). You can re-use about 75% of it - thus no real cost difference.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Question for the OP. Is your hair falling out yet
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water