Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Rep Perry

I received an email response from Rep Perry on Sunday prior to the vote. She had a much different opinion at that point. I had also called my representative who was awstruck by the bill,(even though he is a democrat!) He was very quick to get back to me with the results.

In the future, I might suggest altering your travel plans if and when traveling in Skowhegan if you ever go there. I hear the Walmart parking lot is always full

This reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw, "Mess with me, and you mess with the whole trailer park!" Thanks to all....
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Great job.....If this had been passed, other state campground owners groups would have followed suit..... Never underestimate the power of the internet...folks.... word spreads fast.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Who in their right mind would spens $30.00 to saty overnight? I surely wouldn't and if I had to I would drive until I found a place to stay even if it would be in a truck stop. Speaking of trucks how many stay in Wal-marts? Check the Wal-mart on I-24 in TN.
Am I missing something? If I stay overnight in a camp ground I'm not going to complain about a $30.00 charge, come on now, be real. If you didn't have your RV, and was traveling you would pay to stay in a hotel for the night. I just paid $130.00 for one night stay at a Hampton Inn in Wilmington this week, so $30.00 doesn't seem so bad to me.

Now, I will say, I will do the Wal-Mart thing when I'm traveling, usually because they are easy to find and I tend to drive until late at night and most CG's are closed up tight by the time I arrive.

Let the Flaming begin.....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Am I missing something? If I stay overnight in a camp ground I'm not going to complain about a $30.00 charge, come on now, be real. If you didn't have your RV, and was traveling you would pay to stay in a hotel for the night. I just paid $130.00 for one night stay at a Hampton Inn in Wilmington this week, so $30.00 doesn't seem so bad to me.

Now, I will say, I will do the Wal-Mart thing when I'm traveling, usually because they are easy to find and I tend to drive until late at night and most CG's are closed up tight by the time I arrive.

Thirty dollars for parking a few hours at a private campground while traveling seems excessive to me. If one uses a particular RV camp as a destination, well--, that is a horse of a different color.
Your last paragraph in your post about sums it up for a lot of folks who are just traveling through.

Dieselclacker
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Another reason to avoid Maine Moose falls off I-95 overpass
i guess every state has it's problems
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #34

I was planning on going to maine this summer----now I'm not so sure; If the state of maine passes this law; I'm afraid I'll pass Maine this summer.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post

No flames here....But If I was going to do more than park for 8 hours....I wouldn't mind a $30-40 fee, but to charge that much for an 8 hour parking space is unreal!

Most times I roll in to a CG after 6 pm....no attendant to be seen... find the first open space....extend the slides...go to sleep....Get up early, eat bfast, hit the road again....I don't even bother to hook up, unless I am low on water or 110!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #36

Quote"
Originally Posted by cb5300

sorry"
If I didn't have the RV I wouldn't be traveling; $30 a night to some isn't much; I travel aprox 4 months a year (lets see) 4 times 30 days= 120 times $30 = $3600. If I were to pay this much I won;t have eating money. For those that can afford it; fine; for the rest of us, we cut corners where we can. more money in our pockets; means that we can go more places. going places, I believe is why we have an RV.
Some of us drive a $5000 RV others wouldn't be seen dead in this RV; $500,000 is where they go, to them everything else is trash.
these are your $30 a night folks, the rest of us, it's walmart and forest service campgrounds.
To each his own; my limit is $12.50 a night. or its wally world for me.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I agree on campground owners having to adapt. I am another campground user who would favor a reasonable overnight section for those who are just looking for a place to spend the night. I believe this is doable by campground owners, and would be one way of adapting to the economic times we are in.

Dieselclacker
YES

THis is the solution....for campground owners to offer a "no frills"
  • park, sleep n' go product....(just electricity, no fluid hookups) for $10
If you need water you could use the "common" hookup in the pm or am and the "common" dump station as well....

Come on CG Owners.....give us the products we WANT!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #38

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
YES

THis is the solution....for campground owners to offer a "no frills"
  • park, sleep n' go product....(just electricity, no fluid hookups) for $10
If you need water you could use the "common" hookup in the pm or am and the "common" dump station as well....

Come on CG Owners.....give us the products we WANT!
In one of the local newspaper articles that I read, one of the CG owners was complaining because several of those that stayed at Wal-Mart came to his CG and wanted to dump. He turned them away, claiming that he his system couldn't handle any more, even for a fee. Assuming that they took your suggestion and offered the quick overnight product, that CG owner apparently wouldn't allow you to dump as part of the quick package. I wondered how his system handles nights when he is full? He obviously wasn't on those nights because he was in checking out the folks at Wal-Mart!

I do understand that the CG owners, because of the short season, have to get a certain amount of revenue from every square foot of space in order to stay in business. Perhaps $10 doesn't cover their expenses. I looked at Maine on the Passport America website and there seem to be plenty of options and some are in $15 range, not including electric. Of course, the usual restrictions apply to most - no weekends or holiday discount.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #39

In todays economy; everyones cutting back; if the campgrounds owners arn't willing to cut back; their prices, there will be fewer campgrounds soon, there are many that can pay the higher prices but many cannot. put these folkes out of wallyworld, they (including myself) will find other places that they can use. I have been traveling 3 to 4 months a year for more than 25 years, and I can tell from my experance; RVers are very resourceful.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #40

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with you, Robert. We've never stayed in Wally-World but we have stayed behind truck oriented motels. We always politely ask and have never had a problem.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:02 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Dog-gone-it!!! Campground owners nationwide SHOULD pick up on the idea of accepting overnight, no hook ups, no frills parking for travelers simply wanting to get some sleep and for which most, if not all WOULD pay a small fee (ie., $8.00 - $12.00....NO MORE!!).

Gettin really angry at these local campground owners shuttin down overnight spots like Walmart in an attempt to get RV'rs to pay $30., $40., and sometimes over $50. / night simply to stop at their campground. There's a market out there for quick, no frills overnight spots if they'd ONLY wake up to it. I'd sure pay $10. / night to pull in to a campground.....even an overflow spot.

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #42
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Campground owners have always balked at the idea of a low cost overnight parking spot.

They claim that the overnighters sneak into the showers, use the pool, etc. and want to use the facilities that they are not paying for.

They also state that they cannot make any money at $10 a night.

I don't know if any of this is true, but the campground owners seem to be dead set against the idea.

There is clearly a need for a low cost overnight parking spot, but the CG owners don't see it that way. As long as they can make enough money from full priced sites, I don't see this happening.

When I'm traveling from point A to point B, I always stay at a Wal*Mart or Flying J. Easy in, easy out, no unhooking, and I'm gone at first light, and I always buy something where I park. Anything longer than one night in a location, I go to a campground.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote