Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Ants. Revisited.

I know I read someones comments about ants in their RV but I can't find the thread. CRS perhaps.

Anyway. Prior to loading up the other day the wife says there are ants in the bedroom of the MH. What the heck? Why in the bedroom? Everything is washed and cleaned. I sprayed the heck outta the areas around the tires, jacks and power cord in hopes of killing them off and preventing further intrusion.

Then at the campground (actually they call it a resort for some reason but we were there only because it was free) she found some very small ants on the range top. And she does keep a clean kitchen. I can't imagine the watermelon rind and cantaloup skin in the trash can would draw them all the way up to the kitchen counter. I did have to endure the don't put trash in the trash can lecture. Hay! Thats what guys do. Done eatin' the melon? Remains go in the trash can.

We noticed on both days/evenings that we were getting ant bites on our feet and ankles. Upon a close look we found several ant mounds under and next to the picnic table and the MH.

So how to get rid of them and keep them out? Any help appreciated. Oh. And I'm off to the hardware store to get an outside trashcan for the MH. Something else to carry (and not forget)

SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #2

Spray everything pull out kitchen drawers spray behind,spray where sewer hose connects,power cord. Windex works well also for counter tops.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #3

I'm told the only way to dependably keep them coming back is to erase their chemical trails. Ants leave a small trail for others to follow when they go foraging, the others smell it and follow it looking for food.

I used pickling vinegar (a weak acetic acid) and water 50/50 and sprayed it liberally all over the tires, cords, water hose, etc., then let it sit for a few minutes and hosed it down with water.

Haven't seen an ant in the m/h since.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #4

Maybe this will help,
We have the bug guy that comes out to spray aroung our house, spray around our 5er as well. He sprays everything that contacts the ground.
We have also had him use the "Bait" stuff that the ants take back to the nest to kill the colony.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I'm told the only way to dependably keep them coming back is to erase their chemical trails. Ants leave a small trail for others to follow when they go foraging, the others smell it and follow it looking for food.

I used pickling vinegar (a weak acetic acid) and water 50/50 and sprayed it liberally all over the tires, cords, water hose, etc., then let it sit for a few minutes and hosed it down with water.

Haven't seen an ant in the m/h since.
Sounds like a great idea. I am using ORTHO Ant-B-Gon that I picked up at Home Depot. I is ant bait in small tins the uses peanut butter as the lure. I has worked for me with the very small ants that I can barely see. I do not like to spray poison in the place that I live.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Go to a pharmacy and buy a half a pound of boric acid. Take a sock and put the acid in it. Now pull out your drawers and powder the area where the drawers go. Next lightly powder the bottoms of your cabinets. Under the mattress on your bed (Doing this will also end the threat of bed bugs). If you have carpet, powder it down too (Doing this will end the treat of fleas). I wear a dust mask when I'm applying boric acid.

This treatment will last until you clean these areas with soap and water.

You will never need to spray an insecticide in your rig or home again.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunclm View Post
Go to a pharmacy and buy a half a pound of boric acid. Take a sock and put the acid in it. Now pull out your drawers and powder the area where the drawers go. Next lightly powder the bottoms of your cabinets. Under the mattress on your bed (Doing this will also end the threat of bed bugs). If you have carpet, powder it down too (Doing this will end the treat of fleas). I wear a dust mask when I'm applying boric acid.

This treatment will last until you clean these areas with soap and water.

You will never need to spray an insecticide in your rig or home again.
This is the home remedy that i am familiar with.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Comet Cleanser works well outside. Ants like water and will crawl up your water hose to get to it. We use Comet on the hose and on the ground around where the hose sits. Works well. I have also seen a couple of people putting vaseline on the water hose because the ants either get stuck in it or slip off. Good luck!

llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote