Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #15

It work fine, I use a dolly when we take the wife's car. I have 10 inches between the top and bottom 2 inch receivers but could get away with less. I haul the Keg with a Jeep 4 down, the wife's car on a dolly or a golf cart on a trailer. The golf cart trailer even has a cargo box on the a frame and it doesn't interfere with the grill. I took an existing drop hitch and welded a hitch from harbor freight that was made for an ATV on top, but there are commercially available double hitches or any metal fab shop could build what you need. I highly suggest the BBG Guru Party Q temp controller for slow smoking, it takes a lot of the guesswork and temp watching out of it. I have a DigiQ as well but the Party q is more economical and easier to use.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to this site and see the insert. Home | The Smokenator Forum the smallest they make is 22 1/2 inch. With this gizmo it makes smoking easy. We have found several short cuts however. Most SMOKE flavor is done within the 60 to 120 minutes. After that you can foil what ever meat and continue cooking (even in the oven) and have fall off the bone ribs or pulled port. Even works well on brisket. I'd really like a small gas grill like the Weber IQ's models. but they have a Single burner. I'd like to have one side HOT and other side for meat for smoking. Tried the Coleman road Trip.... absolute JUNK. Rusted and corroded in less than a year of use. Keep in mind that I clean and wipe down after every use and then put unit into storage bag made by coleman. It is the last coleman product I ever purchase. safe travels and great smoking... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #17

I have the treager PTG and the jr. On the ptg I can cook three racks of ribs on a rack I got from wallmart. cooks steaks well, for the wife and I it is big enough. the JR has a much bigger cooking surface and is fairly compact. On either I would highly recommend the digital controler
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #18

We have a Boston Butt smoking right now.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #19

I have a Traeger Jr. that I use both at home and on the road. It fits in the rear hatch area of my Tahoe perfectly. It's big enough for full size brisket or 5 racks of pork ribs, but a bit small for a whole turkey. Pellet smokers are a lot like crock pots- really easy to use and get good results. It gets hot enough to cook a good steak or burger so when I haul it I use it for both smoking and grilling. I use a Weber Smokey Joe if I don't want to haul along the Traeger. I no longer own or will use a gas grill. I'd rather have a cast iron pan fried steak or blackened chicken or fish than a gas grilled anything.

On the Traeger, I agree that you want the thermostat if you are doing anything but simple smoking or hamburgers. The base model control works fine for low and slow smoking and full heat searing, but for anything in between it's hard to control the temperature and the prevailing wind and type of pellet really affects the burn.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #20

I keep all mine in my basement or if I take my trailer the smoker goes in the trailer.

Weber Q..propane
Weber kettle (large) charcoal
Home depot upright propane smoker

lighter fluid WILL NOT make your meat flavored if you allow your charcoal to burn to white prior to placing your meat on the grille

and charcoal does NOT self ignite....if this were true..there would not be 1 retailer to store pallets of bagged charcoal in their stores.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #21

Steve,

If you do get the Traeger "PTG" smoker, here's a mod that you might want to do to it.

Traeger PTG modified with Auber SYL-2372 PID Controller - Smokin' Pete's BBQ

and also a few recipes

Traeger PTG Hot Smoked Salmon - Smokin' Pete's BBQ

Traeger PTG Roasted Pork Sirloin Tip Roast - Smokin' Pete's BBQ

Smokin' Pete's BBQ
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #22

I have been thinking about either the Traeger PTG or the Jr. I have been wondering if the Jr. can be modified to make it more portable.

Right now I have a heavy stick smoker that is to big to bring with me.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #23

I was all excited about the tregers but i keep hearing about problems they have been having since they moved production overseas. Augers breaking, fire burning back into the hopper.
I'm kinda leaning towards the Weber Smokey Mountain and having money left to soup it up
Steve Oom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oom View Post
I was all excited about the tregers but i keep hearing about problems they have been having since they moved production overseas. Augers breaking, fire burning back into the hopper.
I'm kinda leaning towards the Weber Smokey Mountain and having money left to soup it up
Have had mine for 3 years now and I use it pretty heavy during the summer. No problems yet. Never heard of the problems you state.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_28602
Check out the Weber Smokey Mountain:

WeberŪ Grills - Smokey Mountain Cooker

They make an 18.5 and a 22.5. The smoker breaks down in three separate pieces for storage, or you can strap the whole thing down in the back of a pick-up. I have had mine for three years and love it!

Jeff
Jeff_28602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have the little Traeger that I took the legs off of and made a fold up stand for it to set on. It fits in the basement of my Providence.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #27

Dons where was yours maid. I understand that the problems started after they started making them in China
Old 08-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #28

Sorry. Made