Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
I've got both a WSM 18" and a Traeger Jr. The WSM fit in my basement storage if broken down properly. The center section with all the grates and water pan is one "stack", and the base and (inverted) lid was another "stack". My basement was tall enough for each, and they fit on one of my slide-out trays.

This summer I got a Traeger Jr. It fits on the same tray. The tray is just slightly wider than the Junior. I can pull the tray out and use the smoker without having to remove it from the tray. I'll only take it out and put it on a table if I want to do an overnight cook and don't want the basement open all night.

Traeger makes a Tailgator kit for the junior that removes the (long) legs and adds short legs and a couple wheels. Plus an extra insulator blanket.

Junior Tailgater Kit Product Details - Traeger Online Store

When we hit the road this fall, I'll be leaving the WSM behind and just taking the Traeger.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I've got both a WSM 18" and a Traeger Jr. The WSM fit in my basement storage if broken down properly. The center section with all the grates and water pan is one "stack", and the base and (inverted) lid was another "stack". My basement was tall enough for each, and they fit on one of my slide-out trays.

This summer I got a Traeger Jr. It fits on the same tray. The tray is just slightly wider than the Junior. I can pull the tray out and use the smoker without having to remove it from the tray. I'll only take it out and put it on a table if I want to do an overnight cook and don't want the basement open all night.

Traeger makes a Tailgator kit for the junior that removes the (long) legs and adds short legs and a couple wheels. Plus an extra insulator blanket.

Junior Tailgater Kit Product Details - Traeger Online Store

When we hit the road this fall, I'll be leaving the WSM behind and just taking the Traeger.
Thanks - that is exactly what I am looking for. I wanted something small to take in the MH, but it would be big enough to (maybe) replace my stick smoker. The ease of smoking something without constantly watching the temps is what I am looking for now.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
The only gotcha I've run into (so far) with the Junior is the pellet bin. Pellets don't slide down into the auger very well, so the auger can go "dry" when there's still 1/4-1/3 of the pellets still in the bin. That's only an issue with long (over 6 hour) cooks. I saw someone who had fashioned an extension for the bin from plastic or some such so it was 6" taller than normal, which basically solved the problem for overnight cooks. Haven't done the same yet, but probably will.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have been thinking about either the Traeger PTG or the Jr. I have been wondering if the Jr. can be modified to make it more portable.

Right now I have a heavy stick smoker that is to big to bring with me.
Traeger has a benchtop kit for the Jr. that deletes the legs and has feet and a heat shield for the picnic table top.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #33

This is what I wish I could take on the road. Currently have the mini Big Green Egg in Basement storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2090296910.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	512.0 KB
ID:	44790  
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugavet View Post
This is what I wish I could take on the road. Currently have the mini Big Green Egg in Basement storage.
All you need is to drop a B&S motor in there and you can use it as your 'toad'
Old 08-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #35

Went with the Weber Smokey mountain smoker. Liked the fact that i can break it down into smaller pieces
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlettj View Post
Traeger has a benchtop kit for the Jr. that deletes the legs and has feet and a heat shield for the picnic table top.
I am leaning more each day to getting the Traeger junior and make it tailgating capable. I will still need to verify if I can get it in one of my compartments in the MH. I am also wondering what the dimensions (height) will be with the benchtop kit and how much it will weigh.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
I haven't gotten my tailgator kit yet, so I don't know the height after it's installed.

But looking at the picture (Junior Tailgater Kit Product Details - Traeger Online Store), it's barely an inch taller than the unit without the legs attached.

My Junior is a hair over 19" tall (without the legs), so 20" is probably pushing it, but 21" should be enough. I've got about 26" in the compartment, so no worries at all.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I haven't gotten my tailgator kit yet, so I don't know the height after it's installed.

But looking at the picture (Junior Tailgater Kit Product Details - Traeger Online Store), it's barely an inch taller than the unit without the legs attached.

My Junior is a hair over 19" tall (without the legs), so 20" is probably pushing it, but 21" should be enough. I've got about 26" in the compartment, so no worries at all.
Then the height will not be an issue. Does it weigh the full 68 pounds with the legs? I would think the legs would not weigh much. I will need to see how much weight I can put in my compartments. I have several of them that are big enough and loaded full.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #39
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anybody else use the Cobb Cooker?

Cobb Premier Portable Grill Store - Cobb Portable Grill Home

We have one with most accessories and it really packs up pretty well. Only problem I've had is when it is in the wind on really cold days, like Winter!

The nice thing is it uses so little fuel.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Then the height will not be an issue. Does it weigh the full 68 pounds with the legs? I would think the legs would not weigh much. I will need to see how much weight I can put in my compartments. I have several of them that are big enough and loaded full.
Legs are iron, so not light, but less than 10lb total, I think. So probably on the order of 60lbs anyway. Don't forget you're going to need to carry at least a couple bags of pellets, at 20lb each. I think I currently have about 150 lb of pellets with me.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Legs are iron, so not light, but less than 10lb total, I think. So probably on the order of 60lbs anyway. Don't forget you're going to need to carry at least a couple bags of pellets, at 20lb each. I think I currently have about 150 lb of pellets with me.

I am packing charcoal with me now, so would swap out the pellets for the charcoal. I stick the charcoal in other compartments to level out the load. I need to get some measurements on my compartments and find one to look at. Amazon has a good deal on the Junior with a digital thermostat that I am looking at.

Traeger Junior Pellet Grill with Digital Thermostat Controller - Amazon.com
Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Smokin

Like others said I carry the Traeger Junior. I bought it at Costco for about $300. I just threw away the legs and sit it on 4 bricks I carry on the picnic table. I have had about 6 smokers up to competition/trailer size and this is the easiest quick and lightest smoker that is not a huge mess to carry and will still smoke 4 racks of baby backs or 2-3 chickens. It is also very quick (<10 mins) to heat up and cook steaks or burgers with that smoky flavor. It will heat from 200-450F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	45019  

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote