Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #1

Any fellow smokers/pitmasters

Any ideas from you all on how to have and transport a smoker. I'm really interested in the Tregers but I'm not really excited about the PTG. Looks too small.

Any ideas?
Steve Oom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #2

Steve,

I suggest you go to a BBQ competition web site such as BBQ Brethren, Mid Atlantic BBQ Assoc. These teams transport smokers of every description almost every weekend. You might have to register to post your question but there will be a lot more info on BBQ than just the transportation. As you can see by my handle, my wife and I don't get involved until the product is cooked.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I looked at the Tregers web site. They do look pretty big to take in an RV. We have a lowly Brinkman charcoal converted to electric we bring along. I have to remove the three hooks, that hold the top grate and lid so it drops down inside to fit in a basement compartment upright. We put it in a large heavy duty trash bag so no grease gets on anything.

I would not want to travel for very long without the smoker and we go for six months in the winter so we make room and bring plenty of our favorite BBQ sauce.

Just did a great big pork loin yesterday. Had a sandwich for lunch YUM!
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, we take our 22 inch Weber Kettle cooker w/ the Smokenator insert gizmo. legs come off fairly easy. then I dump all ashes from kettle. Now put Top into one garbage bag and the bottom into another. Then nest top into kettle bottom. Light weight, reasonably compact and easy to set up and take down. That way we can grill or smoke long and slow. but, I hate transporting charcoal because of worrying about danger of the charcoal setting itself on fire. if you find the perfect grill / smoker let me know. I'm always looking for the perfect ONE. safe travels.. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

Can you post a picture of that
Old 08-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #6

I have a small Weber but have never tried indirect smoking with it. How's does it work?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oom View Post
Any ideas from you all on how to have and transport a smoker. I'm really interested in the Tregers but I'm not really excited about the PTG. Looks too small.

Any ideas?

We travel with a gas grill, charcoal grill, and a smoker. We also carry the appropriate "real wood" so our food tastes right and not like lighter fluid. All rides in the trailer with the TOAD.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #8

We looked at the Traeger PTG but it also seemed small to us and they just moved production to China. We instead bought a Royalls Tailgater which in manufactured in Wisconsin and it has considerably more cooking space than the Traeger. However, it is just a bit too tall to fit in our basement storage. So our solution was to purchase a cargo box for the back of the RV ( we have a frame mounted hitch receiver). We had been carrying a Weber Q and a small Big green Egg. We thought the pellet grill would be the best of both worlds. So far we like it but it does take some experimentation. We cannot carry it in the bed of the truck because of the in bed tool boxes we have installed.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #9

Look at The Big Steel Keg, it a double walled insulated metal version of a Big Green Egg. It has a receiver hitch attachment that allows the grill to slide off the wheeled base and slide in a 1.25 or a 2 inch receiver hitch. I have a double hitch with the Keg in the top and the toad hitch in the bottom. I have cooked brisket for over 22 hours with one load of 5 pounds of lump charcoal and the help of a BBQ Guru temperature controller. The Keg probably weighs 60 lbs so I can move it from hitch to base and back by myself but I usually enlist the help of a passerby.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-878209375.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	44451

I take this if I'm feeding a bunch of folks.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #10

I have a TOAD so I can't do the cargo box or any other kind on hitch mount
Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #11

Jpharley what kind of smoker
Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #12

It is a Royalls Tailgator.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #13

Roger G I'm very interested in this double hitch. How does that work with a dolly
Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Yes, we take our 22 inch Weber Kettle cooker w/ the Smokenator insert gizmo. legs come off fairly easy. then I dump all ashes from kettle. Now put Top into one garbage bag and the bottom into another. Then nest top into kettle bottom. Light weight, reasonably compact and easy to set up and take down. That way we can grill or smoke long and slow. but, I hate transporting charcoal because of worrying about danger of the charcoal setting itself on fire. if you find the perfect grill / smoker let me know. I'm always looking for the perfect ONE. safe travels.. ed
The Webber packs up and fits in our storage bay...electric element so no need for charcoal...payed approx 100 bucks for it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3527781272.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	44452  
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote