Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #1

Any Full Time RV Survivalists Here?

Back in the 80's when there was a real fear of nuclear war I read a lot of books about survivalists who were preparing to survive what came after. I don't think I'd like to see what came after and I hope it would be a quick end for me if it did come.

But I was wondering if there are any full time survivalist. I'm not talking about people who have a RV at a bug out location. I mean people who move about the country.

I saw this set up and the idea came to me that it is possible to take it all with you. Now you may take it with you and then try to get to a more permanent set up.
http://www.curtrich.com/NewGarage.html
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
But I was wondering if there are any full time survivalist. I'm not talking about people who have a RV at a bug out location. I mean people who move about the country.
Why sure, there are many full-timers you move around the country. That's the idea of full-timing.

We have seen some elaborate trailers that folks have for hauling things that they can't part with. We always wonder just how often they use some of those things.

Most full-timers become minimalists but some just can't do it!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #3

I brought up the topic of selling the house and going on the road full time. I'm retired and I've got nothing else better to do. My wife looked at me and then looked around the house and told me I would have to get a mighty big trailer to haul all this stuff. I don't think she is ready to give up her stuff.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
I brought up the topic of selling the house and going on the road full time. I'm retired and I've got nothing else better to do. My wife looked at me and then looked around the house and told me I would have to get a mighty big trailer to haul all this stuff. I don't think she is ready to give up her stuff.

Yup. Same here.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #5

Survivalism is a movement of individuals or groups (called survivalists or preppers) who are actively preparing for emergencies, including possible disruptions in social or political order, on scales from local to international. The words prepper and prep are derived from the word prepare. Survivalists often acquire emergency medical and self-defense training, stockpile food and water, prepare to become self-sufficient, and build structures (e.g., a survival retreat or an underground shelter) that may help them survive a catastrophe.

The term survivalist dates to 1976.[1] The term prepper has grown in popularity after the 1990s, partly as a reaction to terrorists like Ted Kaczynski and Timothy McVeigh and stereotypes connected with them.[2]
Old 03-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

The problem with these terms are they bring up the stereotypical image of a paranoid nut case. I live in SW Louisiana, in an area where there has been a mandatory Hurricane evacuation twice in the last 15 years (meaning you are strongly urged to leave, but not forced out, and if you leave you probably can't get back in until everything is over). So therefore I do keep extra supplies on hand, own a couple of standby generators, and have designated meet up points for my family in case we get separated in an actual emergency evacuation. (When Katrina hit New Orleans, cell phones communication across the whole region was effected for a week or more) I also keep a bugout bag packed in case I have to leave the house on little or no notice, I do this because I live 3 blocks away from a busy railroad track and those trains carry lots of haz-mat tankers, 15 or so years ago a similar size small town about 50 miles away was evacuated for 8-9 days due to a train derailment and hazmat spill. So is this prudent or paranoid, am I a crazy prepper or not?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:42 AM   #7

The link you posted is about a SASS Member......Cowboy Action Shooter who tows a enclosed trailer behind his MH with all equipment needed to continue his hobby.

I used to shoot SASS also but sold all my stuff when we hit the road.

I would not consider that individual a 'survivalist' any more then I am just because of a hobby.

I do have a survivors instinct and WILL react IF situation should occur........I am prepared and have the ability.
But hardly a 'survivalist' per definition you posted.
Just a guy that will protect those I love.......family and friends.

Fortunately I live in a very tight knit neighborhood.....look out for each other, help each other and have frequent get togethers.
One reason we bought here
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The problem with these terms are they bring up the stereotypical image of a paranoid nut case.
I posted the definition below. None of us can control what people think.

Also, in the OP I mentioned RVing; not the situation you mention.

'Survivalism is a movement of individuals or groups (called survivalists or preppers) who are actively preparing for emergencies, including possible disruptions in social or political order, on scales from local to international. The words prepper and prep are derived from the word prepare. Survivalists often acquire emergency medical and self-defense training, stockpile food and water, prepare to become self-sufficient, and build structures (e.g., a survival retreat or an underground shelter) that may help them survive a catastrophe."
Old 03-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
The link you posted is about a SASS Member......Cowboy Action Shooter who tows a enclosed trailer behind his MH with all equipment needed to continue his hobby.

I used to shoot SASS also but sold all my stuff when we hit the road.

I would not consider that individual a 'survivalist' any more then I am just because of a hobby.
The link I posted was to show the equipment and how much you can take with you; not the SASS
Old 03-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The problem with these terms are they bring up the stereotypical image of a paranoid nut case. I live in SW Louisiana, in an area where there has been a mandatory Hurricane evacuation twice in the last 15 years (meaning you are strongly urged to leave, but not forced out, and if you leave you probably can't get back in until everything is over). So therefore I do keep extra supplies on hand, own a couple of standby generators, and have designated meet up points for my family in case we get separated in an actual emergency evacuation. (When Katrina hit New Orleans, cell phones communication across the whole region was effected for a week or more) I also keep a bugout bag packed in case I have to leave the house on little or no notice, I do this because I live 3 blocks away from a busy railroad track and those trains carry lots of haz-mat tankers, 15 or so years ago a similar size small town about 50 miles away was evacuated for 8-9 days due to a train derailment and hazmat spill. So is this prudent or paranoid, am I a crazy prepper or not?

I would say you are smart! Every responsible person should think through possible scenarios and have some action plans. Every governmental emergency organization says the same thing—have a plan in place and be ready to leave with emergency items readily on hand (bug out bag) on short notice.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #11

Please stay on topic

Please stay on topic.

This is about Full Time RVers who are Survivalist.

Please see my previous posts.

Thank you
Old 03-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #12

I think we are all "survivalists ". Aren't you?
Old 03-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #13

The link you posted is not about a survivalist. It's about a trailer for hobbies. Many people tow them. I'm not seeing your correlation to full-timing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The link you posted is not about a survivalist. It's about a trailer for hobbies. Many people tow them. I'm not seeing your correlation to full-timing.
See post 9

Tags
full time