Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #1

Any Negative To This?

I am going to Alaska and been reading and studying everything I can. Also I have recieved mucho great info from you all so I am seeking more now. I already have an Ultraguard solid flap mounted at the very back of my rig which should be ok to protect my towed, I have ordered and intend to install a second one behind the duals which will protect my plumbing and tanks, and sensor wiring, except fuel and fresh which are forward of the duals. Can you see any negative to doing this? The factory flaps are so small they may as well not be there and I could not see a good method for mounting bigger flaps in wheel well. This flap will be frame mounted and go all the way across just like the back one. You knowledge and advice is much appreciated!!!!!!
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I seriously doubt if your Ultraguard will do much to protect the toad. In fact, unless it has a lot of road clearance, it is fairly likely to kick up gravel by itself.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Most of the windshield and other damage is done by opposite on coming traffic kicking up gravel to your side. Bubble wrap the front of your RV and the front end and windshield of your toad. You'll see a lot of others doing the same and you'll see a lot of cracked windshields on those that don't.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #4

Travel damage by stones is caused 2 ways. On comming traffic throws a stone in the air and you hit it. If you're doing 60 you know what's going to happen. Solution: Slow down.

Second way is stones being thrown up by your rig, and they then hit a piece of your rig (fender flare, side panel, toad, etc.) at speed. Same result as above. Solution: Slow down.

Are you beginning to see a pattern here? Yeah, slow down.

If the full width rock guard is installed as directed, it works quite well. Lower to the road IS NOT BETTER, it throws up more rocks. Follow directions.

We've driven up to Alaska 4 times in the last 6 years and manage to run about 100 or more miles on dirt/gravel each trip. Before I learned to slow down, I picked up 2 pocs in the Bus windshield, but none recently. By the way, Tok has a few guys that come to the RV parks and repair rock chips. Use them to keep a chip from graduating to a crack.

Enjoy the trip. It's a great place.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All the years of going to Alaska on boats, I never had any problems like that. Now I do not think I want to take my MH up there.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote