Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-01-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Any Other New RVers Packing and Preparing for 2015 Trips?

We bought our Coach in October and minus a brief overnight stay to test coach appliances and one short shakedown cruise we have spent our time and money preparing the MH for 2015! New shoes (6) and new carport, then outfitting the coach with all life's little "necessities" (dishes, cookware, silverware, staples, etc) and a few "wants" like zero gravity recliners, bikes etc...and I'm still finding that I am randomly buying little things each week. This week it was a new universal remote, some organizational shelving and refrigerator adds and some non skid liner for cabinets. My husband shakes his head every time I come home from the store (though he's just as bad as I am only his man stuff is "necessary"??? ) Im wondering if in my excitement and enthusiasm am I am going overboard or if I am being smart in taking this down time to slowly stock up and prepare so that when spring arrives, food and clothes are our only pack items needed to make awesome memories! We are retirees in training...so we both have FT jobs and I want to be ready so that on a random Friday if we decide to "run away" he can call me at work and meet me at the end of my day with the RV and dolly (yes, dolly was a recent purchase too! ) and load my SUV and hit the road! So is anybody else dealing with this same "I can't get the new RV off my mind, and since we can't go anywhere I'll just spend the time shopping for when we can and stalking RV blogs????" Just wondering if I'm out here by myself or have others right there with me!

Retirees in training...
RLC06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
We bought a salvage motor home last year and spent most of the year fixing it up. We used it for 4 weeks in October and had a ball with it. We are planning a trip to Las Vegus and the grand canyon this year as our big trip. We will be using it for smaller trips throughout the year. First I'm going to get that pesky auto park fixed. DW does not like to get out and chock the wheels at every stop. I have done a lot of research on this problem and do not feel it will be much of a challenge.
We know of the excitement of owning a motor home and wanting to have all the neet little things in it, just be careful as you have limited space and it fills fast. Live in the mh for a while and if you find you need something just stop and buy it.
Enjoy it and the anticipation.

1996 Rexhall Aerbus.
1925 Ford Model T Touring
1926 Ford Model T Fodor
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
You're definitely not alone! We bought ours in September, and started with new tires all around. The DW is constantly buying things (dishes, broom, area rugs), and I guess I'm just as bad (rearview camera, new stereo, flat screen tv), as well as a few items to make needed repairs. We have made a few weekend trips but are looking forward to spring.

If we weren't spending our money on the MH, we would just be blowing it on non-neccesities.

Have fun!!!!
Ken and Deanie (with Ralph the cat)

2002 Winnebago Minnie, 331C, Ford E450 chassis
retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
Same here been fixing up the MH. Trip planned 15 jan down to peace river campground near Tampa. Thousand trails membership. Trying to get out of the Atlanta area for a few months before it snows. People here have no idea how to drive in the snow. Last year Hwy 285 was shut down due to stuck vehicles.
tomusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
We are in the same situation. Bought our MH early November, went for a small day ride to see how she handles and show our friends. We started to bring the usual kitchen stuff, tools etc, etc that we had on our boat and fixing a few things PO had done. Yes we transfered from water transportation to land. Hope to enjoy this new venture soon as here in Canada we are getting some very cold weather and we will try and wait till April to give it a good bath and shine, then "hit the road"

2006 Mandalay 40 F 2232
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:00 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HI RLC06, congrats on the new coach. You are hooked. Its a great feeling. Isn't it? We did the same, when we bought our first rig. It sat for awhile as we stocked it with what we thought we needed. I am so glad that we took our time. On our first trip we just about had everything we wanted. What we didn't have, we could do out with till we got home and bought it. The wife was the main force in stocking the rig. She started a list one night of the stuff she thought should be on the rig. The next day off to the store she went. Came back in the afternoon with the bed of the pickup just about full.Well as you have found out it takes a serious pile of$$$$$$$$$$$$ to furnish a rolling house. But has it been worth it. Now have a class C, and love. The wife is now in heaven and my eyesight is so bad I can't drive anymore. I have a sisiter that just LOVES the rv lifestyle, YYYYYAAAAAA, BBBBBBBBUUUUUUTTTTTTTT she can't retire for 16 months. We try to get out at least once a month. In fact we were going to go this weekend, the weather forecast was kinda of iffy. So she decided to cancel. Can't afford to get snowed in somewhere and not get to work Monday. Once she is retired, we will be ON THE ROAD. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we don't do what you may do, on a Friday, she will tell them to take this job and ----------- it. And down the road we will go..We keep the rig ready to hit the road. Just have to grab some food, put some water onboard the fresh water tank, grab the personal items and go.Love the rv lifestyle.
2003 Gulf Stream Cavalier, 29.5' V-10, most bells and whistles. Banks Power Pac System, Auto Mind, Tans Command.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We are planning to do a couple short state park trips in Feb and Mar to get used to the new rig. Then we will head to UT in Apr the week before our boat race in Parker, AZ. After the race, we will park the rig at Firebird Raceway (Now Wildhorse Pass Race Park) in Chandler, AZ and return home in the F150 for a couple weeks between races. Then we will return to Chandler for another race before bringing everything home.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Wow! Thanks so much for the responses! Good to know that not being able to get that big coach off my mind is normal!! Seems like now, everytime I drove down the interstate I am jealously counting rigs on the road to somewhere and I so want it to be me! I all but begged my husband for a trip south this weekend, offering to take off Fridah so we could leave Wed night for somewhere (gulf shores, Pensacola, Biloxi, etc) but lots of rain and threat of thunderstorms along the gulf had us sitting home and taking down the Christmas decorations and dreaming of a better opportunity for a long weekend cruise! What has been the most "useful" item that you all have purchased so far, (aside from tires etc)?
Retirees in training...
RLC06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
We purchased our new to us rig the weekend after thanksgiving. We now have all winter to wait before we get to take it out for a shakedown. We are slowly buying the things we need and are planning a trip to the black hills in South Dakota this summer.

We have had mh in the past so we aren't without experience in terms of the things we will need and the things we will want. I am surprised at the changes in equipment and what's available as far as gadgets from just even ten years ago!

It is fun getting back into it and looking forward to get out of the same rut this summer.
2 more winters and I will be a snowbird! Fun researching where I might like to land!
2005 Coachmen Leprechaun 292 with 2 slides.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
We started out in 1997 with a Class C. We went out and bought the absolute necessities i.e. dishes, pots & pans, utensils and cleaning supplies. We scavenged some stuff from the house. As we traveled and saw the need for something we would buy it, lawn chairs etc. Due to the limited size we could only take so much so if we bought something new we sometimes had to get rid of things to make room.

We then bought our current coach, a ~40' Class A, much larger with 2 slides. We moved the "good" stuff from the old RV to the new RV and really didn't have to buy much of anything new. If we have something in the RV that hasn't been used that much we will overtime remove it.

My recommendation to newbies are to pack the bare necessities and then purchase things as you travel as you realize a need.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #11
We finished (our first trip) a 7k mile Central US; east coast; and southern border trip last January. If we don't sell our coach soon or upgrade (RV show this weekend), we're planning on another extended trip to California and up the west coast and northern boundaries.

Prior to our first trip, we were newbies (never owned an RV), greenhorns, or as I like to refer to us as pioneers. First trip lessons we learned with respect to your topic and not going to assume anything. If ya'll haven't already, my top 4:

- Buy some form of surge protection: We bought a 50 amp Surgeguard that you plug into the RV park pedestal. It saved us potential damage on more than one occasion.

- Buy a 30->50 amp converter if ya'll are 50amp. You might only have 30amp service at some sites.

- Buy two new sewer hoses. You might not have ready access to the site dump site. Sidenote - always use gloves when handling.

- Buy the sewer hose connection that allows you to attach a hose to back-flush the gate valve. Invaluable when needed! We had an obstruction and the valve wouldn't close - could have stranded us for awhile. Could have used the sewer hose support system a couple of times depending on the elevation of the site dump relative to the RV. On more than one occasion, the dump point was slightly higher than the coach when leveled.

- Buy Coach-net or something similar if you have a coach.

One piece of advice - never, ever, absolutely trust Siri or your GPS for navigation. That's a whole 'nother story for a different thread.

Have fun...
wsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #12
We did the same thing when we bought ours, we had a great time going out and buying new stuff for it, lining the shelves, putting all the stuff we bought in it ect. I would bet my wife changed how she stores all the kitchen stuff 5 or 6 times, and she had fun doing it.

We keep it ready to roll, as like you we bought extra clothes,shoes, jackets, towels, linens just like we were outfitting a new house. We keep it at our house, so alot of times I just go out and do things to it even if it doesn't need it. I think how you feel is very normal, if it wern't for he holidays and our grandkids we would be out in it right now. We are thinking of escaping for a few days next week even though we are having he coldest weather we have had in 25 years(which is probably nothing compared to other parts of he country). Have fun with it, and when you retire it will be even more fun and addicting.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #13
Ford Super Duty Owner
You Are Not Alone!

Good Morning RLC06
I believe It is a normal transformation and one that should be enjoyed! My first RV was 1985, it was a 1968 Nomad TT (AND I LOVED IT)! The "Getting Stuff/Buying/????" was part of the fun. Robbed the house of some items, bought my share of (oops shouldn't of bought items), and "OMG" this stupid thing is "GREAT". If my career had not dictated otherwise I would of "NEVER" left the RV community!.
Retired 14 years ago, I let every excuse "Life Dictates" to keep me in "Sticks N Bricks" HELL! Six months of shopping for used RV, and a number of months of reading every and any post on IRV2 and watching many RV You-Tube videos we went forth. On July 26th, 2014 we moved into Our Lady. Five days later, transferred funds for purchase, and headed to South Dakota for a change of residency and 6 weeks of "Heaven On The Road"! We've been buying "Stuff" and tossing or donating Sticks & Bricks items that don't work for us for what ever reason.
For us it's been a lot of trial and error. Some things work and some went to donate after first use, along with gadgets. Advise from this site "if you don't use it during the season, You probably don't need it". And for the kitchen we have found a slow cooker, not only makes meals but bakes a great potato, an electric skillet was a keeper and a old waffle iron with changeable plates doubles as a panni press, grills (hot dogs, burgers, steaks,) and griddles. We have found that the propane stove (great when Boondocking) is very uncomfortable during the summer and winter, due to moisture we vent most of the heated warm air out (the moisture is incredible), this is a lot more than what I remembered when I was RVing 30 + years ago. So when we are hooked to 30 amps we use electric cooking or BBQ if weather permits.
" food and clothes are our only pack items needed to make awesome memories!"
That to me is the best way to RV; spontaneous and ready to go at a moments notice. Food wise really only perishables need to be purchased last minute. I always left; towels, swimming gear, and like gear pre-packed, along with canned/dry goods, dry spices, charcoal for last minute trips. IMO last minute trips were some of the most fun... You will have fun beyond imagination,
"Let Your Heart Be Your Guide, And Just Do It"
Bilgerat: Chuck, Kassie, Freddie, Lady, Prince, Smokey, Merlin
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36', V-10, Banks, Onan 5500, Blue Ox, 2014 Forester, SKP 130599, FT'ing 2+Yrs.
Bilgerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
We picked this up in late August

Besides driving it home 1500 miles and one long weekend we are planing for 2015. We are planing on Tennessee,Nova Scotia,Hershey and Lancaster Pa. And a few weekends nearby with our camping friends.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote