Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Any resident tax pro's out there?

I currently live in Missouri, but I'm buying my RV in Texas. My question is, am I better off paying Texas sales tax or Missouri sales tax or do I even have an option? If this is the wrong place for this discussion please feel free to redirect me to the appropriate location. thanx. Phil
zman7458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am far from a tax pro and I don't know about Missouri, but California would expect me to pay sales (use) tax to the DMV upon registration. A quick internet search returns 6.25% in Texas and 4.225% in Missouri. I think I would check in your state what the rules are. CA does have a rule that allows you to store it and us it in another state for several months before bringing it into the state and then no sales (use) tax.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm also not a tax professional, but I have purchased RV's out of state several times. In one case, living in NC but buying in TX, the dealer paid the sales tax directly to the NC DMV and issued me with temporary plates to drive the RV out of Texas. When I got it home to NC I went to the DMV and the permanent plates were waiting for me. I think the bottom line is that you have to pay the taxes and register the vehicle in your state of residence.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

Quote:
I think the bottom line is that you have to pay the taxes and register the vehicle in your state of residence.
I bought from a individual in Tennessee but paid taxes when I got home in Kentucky,
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to have a neighbor here in GA that registered his motorhome in Texas. The way he got away with it is his wife (who didn't work) established a Texas residence and got a Texas drivers license.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We purchased in Indiana and registered and licensed it in Missouri. Sales tax must be paid in the state it is titled/licensed in. In your case, carry the bill of sale and the title with you to drive to Missouri and then register it there.
trikeleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikeleader View Post
We purchased in Indiana and registered and licensed it in Missouri. Sales tax must be paid in the state it is titled/licensed in. In your case, carry the bill of sale and the title with you to drive to Missouri and then register it there.
Don't forget personal property tax of course that won't be until next year.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep, taxes (and registration) are based upon your state of residence and driver's license.

However, there is another option that may be available to you. Montana LLC. Be aware that this practice is frowned upon by many states and they will come after you if you go this route. I have no idea if Missouri falls into this category, but it might be something you can check out.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #9

okay, while we're on the subject of property tax. As I understand it Missouri has property tax, but Illinois as I've been told does not. That was the direction I was heading with this line of thought. I can look it up, but does anyone off hand know if Texas has property taxes or am I way off base on this? thanx for the help. Phil
zman7458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I've purchased RVs in TX (2 plus a boat), MO, GA, OK. Only lived in one of the states and paid sales tax in the state I registered them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #11

You pay sales tax on vehicles in the state where the vehicle is licensed. Sometimes dealers will collect the tax and forward it to the appropriate state, sometimes not, depends on the states.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bought our rig in OR (no sales/use tax), when I registered it in WA I got to pay the almost 10% sales/use tax.
The dealer collected the use tax and sent it to the WA DMV along with the required paperwork for the title. WA law wouldn't let me handle the paperwork, had to be sent by the selling dealer direct.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
CA does have a rule that allows you to store it and us it in another state for several months before bringing it into the state and then no sales (use) tax.
Close - you can buy a new vehicle outside of California and the dealer will do all the required paperwork for you. California will want their sales tax so you'll either pay the Ca tax when you buy it, or pay it when you get home. This all assumes the vehicle is a 50 state compliant for emissions. If it's not compliant with California smog riules then you'll have a ton of problems registering it here.

If you buy a used vehicle, or a new one and try to store it outside the state to skirt the tax issue then it must be 9 months old (if I recall) and have at least 7500 miles on it before you can register it in California. So you can't to to Arizona and buy a brand new unit, store it there for a while and then bring it into the state - you'll have to drive it around for a while to accumulate the miles. If you try to register it before you meet the time or mileage limits then the DMV will black flag it and you'll have 10 days to move it out of state, and it can never be registered in California!
Old 11-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman7458 View Post
okay, while we're on the subject of property tax. As I understand it Missouri has property tax, but Illinois as I've been told does not. That was the direction I was heading with this line of thought. I can look it up, but does anyone off hand know if Texas has property taxes or am I way off base on this? thanx for the help. Phil
I use to live in Mo. One of the reasons I left was their taxes. I now register in Tennessee. No income tax, no personal property tax, motorhome registration same as auto around $75 per yr. Someone said Mo sales tax was 4.25, but by the time you add county sales tax it'll be up to 6 or more.
If you happen to be a 100% disabled vet there is no yearly registration and license for two vehicles. The registration and license is permanent for as long as you own the vehicles.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote