Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #15

Any suggestions on black tank draining issues?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
My parents solved this problem by always using the campground toilets. They never used the black tank.

To the OP:
You deserve a solution to your problem.
I suggest there could be an obstruction from the manufacturing process. When the hole on the top of the tank is cut out, the circle that is cut can drop into the tank and obstruct the flow. It usually does not happen right away, but can "lurk" for a while.
If you cannot see it or clear the problem on your own, I suggest getting a pro to help so you don't risk damaging anything. If it is a cut out plug, you should be fully covered.
I have seen these issues resolved by RV Doctor.
Best wishes!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think this one would do a better job because the water shoots straight into the sewer outlet instead of at an angle.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-4...ar+elbow+sewer
You need the valve to force the water back up into the tanks and you can get them with the 45 deg angle. Without the valve the water just runs down and out.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When I had my issue the reverse flush attachment didn't work. It was too far from the tank and remote gate valve. So I had to use the garden hose as a snake. It worked but be ready for a mess and do this only as a last resort. If you can give it up for a few days a qualified shop my be the best but expensive unless your under warranty and they still may try to blame it on you.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
When I had my issue the reverse flush attachment didn't work. It was too far from the tank and remote gate valve. So I had to use the garden hose as a snake. It worked but be ready for a mess and do this only as a last resort. If you can give it up for a few days a qualified shop my be the best but expensive unless your under warranty and they still may try to blame it on you.
Was it a tissue issue?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
No..my valve rod broke of the the gate and it was open a smidge and that allowed the liquids to drain leaving all the solids against the gate. I had to run a long screw in the hole where the rod use to attach to the gate and use pliers the open the gate. Then run the garden hose up in the tank to break up the solids and flush it out. Quite the deal and mess. I use regular tissue lots of water no problems in 2 years of full-timing.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieToThis View Post
Just less than one month in a brand-spanking-new RV and the black water tank won't drain. Drained it with no problems two weeks ago, and now it won't drain. The trailer is level, I live alone, use proper bath tissue on a minimal basis, use recommended chemicals following directions, and generally leave grey water open until a day or two before I plan to drain black water so I can follow black tank drain with grey tank drain.

Thinking maybe I didn't completely push in BWT plunger, I closed both black and grey, but discovered after two days of showers and dish washing, grey tank water isn't draining either.

Could this be a vent issue? Parked and leveled the trailer and it hasn't moved since then.

Oh, please don't make me call the "warranty card"...lol.

Any advise or suggestions? Anyone?? TIA!!
Use the valve pictured in post #13 to backflow each of your tanks. Have someone watch inside so the tanks are not overfilled .
When you get them working normally, be sure to always add about 5G of water to the black tank immediately after dumping, then use plenty of flushing water each time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:32 AM   #21

What was the outcome? Last post from OP 2/10 now 2/28 surely something was discovered/resolved.
jtl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:03 AM   #22

1) I don't have much faith in these pressurized water attachments because if they hit a bend in the piping, that will prevent the pressurized water from effectively cleaning the inside of the tank.
2) The best idea I have read in this forum is a combination of a mascerating toilet, electric gate value, and a sani-con. Excellent reports from those having that combination.
LeeSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #23

Our solution to black tank not draining is three fold. And I have had this problem a couple of times with the incorrect type of TP being used.

You need to use a clear end fitting on the end of the camper's drain tube to see water and debris leaving the tank.

In my three step fix the first thing to do is open the black tank valve. Now I connect the black tank flush line and begin to run water into the tank.

The second step and this usually helps the most is too pour a 5 gallon bucket of water down toilet. Several maybe required.

This will usually break up the clog that is preventing the tank from draining. If this does not work than I go to the third step and this involves a black tank flush hose that you put down through the toilet spraying water on top breaking up the clog.

Remember water is your friend in any black tank issue.

Now with the gray tank I always leave this open to drain continually until the night before. I will than close so I have enough water to drain the black tank sewer connection after cleaning the black tank.

Never ever put anything down the gray water tank except water this is not like your home sewer system.

Jim W.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #24

**Update** Issue Diagnosed (I think)

First of all, my sincerest apologies for taking so long to respond. I'm working for a newly formed company (only 1 year old) and we're in a growth explosion, requiring lots of time at the office, and very little energy in the evenings to get online. (Not an excuse, but an explanation and a good problem to have. )

Second, Wow!! I'm so touched by all the responses, advice, and comments. Thank you!!

Let me preface the rest by saying, yes, I have a clear elbow on the drain hose, and I do use the right kind of bath tissue. (Lived in my other TT for a year with no issues, and continued with all the same practices.)

We did discover a third valve but, in our diagnoses testing, it appeared to have little to no bearing.

First we opened the valves on both tanks (nothing coming out), unhooked the drain hose, then flushed the toilet, holding the pedal down to see if any water came out. Success. There was water trickling out. Then the same thing with gray water from the sink and shower. Success. Water trickled out.

Next, we closed the valves, shut off the water supply and used a flashlight to look into the toilet/tank and could see...ahem..."stuff". We felt this indicated the seal hadn't sealed all the way and the liquids seeped out, leaving all the hard waste behind.

We closed the valves, flushed out the black water tank, ran more water into it, and hooked up everything again. Then we pulled the valve and, indeed, water had collected in the tank and began to come out. Yay!! (Although, I do believe there may still be a little leakage, but just not as much as before.)

Unfortunately, the gray water tank still doesn't collect water.

Still believe this is a seal issue but since I'm a full timer and the dealership is over an hour away, I may just bite the bullet and pay for a service call.

Again, thank you all for your input and well wishes. I'm SO glad I found this site. Y'all rock!!
NewbieToThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #25

If you watch the video on Utube you will see flushing water up the drain doesn't work. Best solution is hose into toilet. He tests them all and you can watch for yourself.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:31 AM   #26

Thanks for the reply Melissa. We were especially curious since we have a Reflection 313rlts scheduled to arrive this month. Wish you the best.

John & Sherrie
jtl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:16 AM   #27

You will have less problems if you use lots of water when you flush. I always fill the bowl. About 30 years ago I built a wand to clean out my black tank. Copper pipe about 3' & 1/2" dia. On one end I installed a ball valve and hose fitting. On the other end I installed a cap. I then drilled 2 holes 3/16" dia one above the other in the side of the cap. Water will come out of those holes at very high pressure and blast any cloggs away. I can slowly rotate the wand to wash all parts of the black tank. BTW Walmart sells a wand but it doesn't work and waste of money. Build your own. I have never had a clog I couldn't remove with my wand.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #28

Newbietothis, You can buy a Valterra twist-on valve to replace your sewer cap. Keep it closed until you need to dump the tanks. This is a workaround to leaking dump valves until is it convenient to replace them.
I carry one in the MH. Last summer while we were in the Canada Maritimes, the sewer valve began leaking. I replaced the sewer cap with the twist-on valve and continued our trip. I had the black valve replaced after we were home.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank