Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

Any suggestions on black tank draining issues?!

Just less than one month in a brand-spanking-new RV and the black water tank won't drain. Drained it with no problems two weeks ago, and now it won't drain. The trailer is level, I live alone, use proper bath tissue on a minimal basis, use recommended chemicals following directions, and generally leave grey water open until a day or two before I plan to drain black water so I can follow black tank drain with grey tank drain.

Thinking maybe I didn't completely push in BWT plunger, I closed both black and grey, but discovered after two days of showers and dish washing, grey tank water isn't draining either.

Could this be a vent issue? Parked and leveled the trailer and it hasn't moved since then.

Oh, please don't make me call the "warranty card"...lol.

Any advise or suggestions? Anyone?? TIA!!

NewbieToThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Are you saying they are not draining because the lights say they aren't?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Is there fluid in the stinky slinky or running though it? Might it be plugged? Even with a vent problem you could drain just not fast. Are they manual cables or electric? Are you just going by indicator lights or by sound of fluid draining? More info!

LEN
Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Also, when the black is full the toilet will burp when flushing. The gray will back up in a sink or shower when full. If you get to this point..pull the handle, there will be no mistaking if its draining or not. But then again, if it's not draining u have real problem. Never drain the black unless 3/4 or more full. It takes that force and volume of draining to clear the tank. Then rinse and drain a few more times. Never start using the black tank without at least a few gallons of water in it first
Old 02-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
If in fact nothing's coming out when the valve is actually open, it could be the problem I've seen written up on other forums. When they make the hole for the fitting with a drill & hole saw, occasionally the disk cut out by the saw will fall into the tank. Some of the more 'challenged' techs will just leave it thinking it won't hurt anything, but I've read of more than one new owner finding that the disk ends up blocking the outflow. Don't know of any that weren't covered by warranty.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:03 AM   #6

Thanks all. I'm not going by indicator lights, and they are manual cables. I've always looked and listened when first pulling the lever to drain, just to make sure everything's okay (draining, no leaks, etc.), then follow with grey water drain. There's not a drop going down the stinky slinky from either black water tank or grey water tank.

The toilet's not "burping" (yet), but a look with the flashlight does reveal I'm not looking at the bottom of the thank.

The "disk" issue sounds possible. I'll post when I figure out the problem/solution. Thanks again!
NewbieToThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd first get a clear plastic extension to fit on the dump tube, This will allow you to see what is coming or not coming out of the tanks. They come it the straight or 45 degree type.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Is yhe handle or cable connected to the gate valve? Expose the gate and watch that it is connected and moving when u pull it. I had mine break in the closed position with a full tank. Not fun. If its opening the next think it to run a garden hose up the drain pipe and try to push it into the tank with full force water pressure BUT have a BIG tub under it because when lets go....well you get the picture! Do this with out the water running at first to see it the hose meets resistance and comes out with poop on it. Then you cant think about reverse flushing!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #9

Do you, by any chance, have a third valve at the slinky connection. I have seen some rigs with a three valve configuration.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #10

My parents solved this problem by always using the campground toilets. They never used the black tank.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieToThis View Post
Thanks all. I'm not going by indicator lights, and they are manual cables. I've always looked and listened when first pulling the lever to drain, just to make sure everything's okay (draining, no leaks, etc.), then follow with grey water drain. There's not a drop going down the stinky slinky from either black water tank or grey water tank.

The toilet's not "burping" (yet), but a look with the flashlight does reveal I'm not looking at the bottom of the thank.

The "disk" issue sounds possible. I'll post when I figure out the problem/solution. Thanks again!
You stated BOTH grey & black are not draining. These are completely different tanks and valves. The only common element is the "Y" connector and the sewer hose.
For sure get a clear fitting. Double check sewer hose by running water thru it from a hose.
With gloves on put your hand into the "Y" to check for obstructions.

Dan
Old 02-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
I'd first get a clear plastic extension to fit on the dump tube, This will allow you to see what is coming or not coming out of the tanks. They come it the straight or 45 degree type.

I agree! That should definitely be your first step!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #13

Get this rig to backflush your tanks.
http://www.amazon.ca/Camco-39062-Flu.../dp/B000BUQOAE
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think this one would do a better job because the water shoots straight into the sewer outlet instead of at an angle.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-4...ar+elbow+sewer

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank