Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #43

Unleaded in Oklahoma City last night, $2.02 per gallon, diesel, $2.04. At least a move in the right direction for a change, now if they would just get a$1 instead of a $2 in front of that . . . .oh well, at least its not going up at the moment. Gene
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Gas dropped a nickle a gallon here in Pennsylvania today. $ 2.15 a gallon.

Think that is a sign of things to come ..... Nah, just a burp from the gluttony of the oil companies.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:18 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ann n Gene:
Unleaded in Oklahoma City last night, $2.02 per gallon, diesel, $2.04. At least a move in the right direction for a change.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gene, Going through OKC next week, please try to keep the prices as close to 2 bucks as possible. I'd appreciate it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:54 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
I just thought it would be interesting to note that this same topic is being discussed on another forum I participate in ... for motorcycles! They get from 35-60 mpg, far, far better then most any motorhome or tow vehicle (with or without a trailer), but the concern is the same. Everything is relative, they say.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:11 AM   #47

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Everything is relative, they say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine the conversations on the boat forums- where they measure their mileage in "gallons per mile" and to get 4 mpg is considered fantastic mileage. If a boat returns 6-7 mpg (considered the low end for even the largest RV's and tow vehicles) it's lauded as a fuel miser.

It is indeed relative.

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:54 AM   #48

I think that part of our problem with the fuel prices, is that we as a nation are spoiled when it comes to energy because we have had it so good compared to other countries. Some think we deserve lower prices as though it were some "Right" we are entitled to. Because of our cheap fuel over the years, we have become the most energy wastefull nation in the world. Our own energy appitite has made us too dependant on foreign oil at any price.
As for what the higher price does to my cost of running our motorhome down the road, it's about $.12/mile more than when it was $1.35/gal. At about 5-7000 miles/year, it will cost me an extra $720. When I brought my new motorhome home 2 years ago, it depreciated more in 6 months than my total fuel cost for 10 years @$2.35/gal. will be. The extra 12 cents/ mile is not going to stop me from going on a trip. I'm just as spoiled as the next guy. Now that I have an RV, I will use it. I just bought a new Prius that gets 2 1/2 times better mileage than our mini-van so maybe the fuel savings from it will offset my thirsty diesel pusher. No matter what I try to rationalize, we are still using too much energy. Maybe if it gets to $5.00/ gal like some places in Europe, we will cut back. How much do you suppose an H2 will cost then???

Doug
Doug Polzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:29 PM   #49

Alpine Owners Club
Why are the European gas prices so high? 70% maybe more of the fuels price is TAX. I don't want to pay higher taxes. The problem with our affinty for gasoline and diesel fuel is that there are not many, if any, alternative fuels that pack the number of BTU's that's in a gallon of gas. I have faith in American ingenuity that as the prices rise we will find a alternative fuel or more oil.

At $5.00 a gallon how much will our MH's be worth? Better yet, how much will our consumables cost?

I'll vote against higher fuel taxes....any higher taxes.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:16 PM   #50

Wow...prices start going down and this thread is done!

Getting better...just define better! Is $2.47/gal better? Flying J- last weekend- Lenwood, CA (just before Barstow).
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:23 PM   #51
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
We got gas in Johnson City, TN this afternoon for $2.049, diesel last week at Flying J on I-85 in GA was $2.059. Do you think it's really going to come down?

All this talking heads on TV seem to think it'll keep going up.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:59 AM   #52

Whatever the price of diesel, it should always be less than gas.

F250 7.3,32' New Horizons FW
Ron1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #53

Texas Boomers Club
Actually, the Federal fuel tax on diesel ($0.244/gallon) is higher than the Federal fuel tax on gasoline ($0.184/gallon) - see HERE.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:19 AM   #54
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Collection of the tax was suspended for the period September 1 through December 1, 1990, and expired January 1, 1996. The fund is reinstated on October 1, 1997, and <span class="ev_code_RED">will expire on March 31, 2005</span>. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Betcha they renewed it!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #55

Texas Boomers Club
THAT is a safe bet!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #56

The weekend of April 29- May 2 we took a trip to Pinetop AZ from Salt Lake City, UT. Paid $2.769 (Diesel) at a Chevron In Beaver, UT. and $2.33 at a flying J in Winslow AZ. I am continually amazed at the difference in the same "brand" station on one end of a town being considerably higher/lower than the other end of town. Somebody, and I think it is Big Oil, is making a profit on our hobbies. However, we do own a Prius for our work commute, so that offsets some of the fuel price. As Kathleen says, we sould never have bought the Diesel if we had not had the Prius to drive around town!
As to affecting our planning, we were looking at a trip to the Dakotas this year, but someplace closer won out..mainly due to fuel prices.

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote