Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2005, 02:42 AM   #1

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the recent (and ongoing) fuel price increases and how they will effect the RV'ing industry?
Thanks

Clint

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2005, 02:42 AM   #2

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the recent (and ongoing) fuel price increases and how they will effect the RV'ing industry?
Thanks

Clint

Old 04-02-2005, 07:23 AM   #3

Well.... This is my hope. With the North starting to warm up and spring in the air,Diesel prices will start to lower in price. Hopefully between $1.70 AND $1.90.
Since winter fuel oil is the same thing and the need will dissipate as the warmer weather comes,we have always experienced a drop in price during spring/summer.
Ofcourse the past is the past. The latest inflationary prices on the other hand might be the sign of new things coming. But I will choose to believe we will experience a drop in price during the spring summer......Just a hunch............
Old 04-03-2005, 05:30 PM   #4

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Has anyone compared the fuel price increase with the tremendous price increase in hotel rooms?

We are going to the Tetons this summer and will probably spend an additional $400 due to fuel increase. One night in the lodge there costs about $250 if you have a view of the mountains. Our campground in Coulter Bay is all about view.

It is all relative.
Walt
Old 04-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #5

LA Gulf Coast Campers
As soon as I get set up, I am going to begin brewing my own diesel fuel (biodiesel). It canbe done with less than $1000 worth of stuff.
http://www.biodiesel.org

Walt
Old 04-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #6

Man, nothing spools me up quicker than oil prices. What a bunch of BS- there's no shortage, nor is there ever likely to be in our lifetimes. It's just good old fashioned price gouging plain and simple. All about the almighty buck.

Call me old school, insensitive, or whatever, but if I was running the show things would be different.
Big Oil would find that it no longer has an ally in the White House, and since they can't seem to govern themselves the petroleum industry would once again find itself regulated by the feds.
Considering how much butt we've kicked and blood we've shed in the Middle East, gas over here whould be a nickel a gallon and everyone over there speaking English.

You know- the whole "spoils of war" thing.

May not be PC in today's "kinder-gentler" society, but then neither am I...

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:26 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Catdave:
Man, nothing spools me up quicker than oil prices. What a bunch of BS- there's no shortage, nor is there ever likely to be in our lifetimes. It's just good old fashioned price gouging plain and simple. All about the almighty buck.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Grant it there's money to be made in oil futures and how! A lot of what we're paying at the pump is directly attributable to commodities brokers. A lot of these brokers do not work for oil companies they're just private firms looking to make a killin' in the market.

If they think that a fly flew in the ointment, that could jack up prices on speculations alone.

Another fact of life that we have to deal with is NIMBY. Would anyone like to have a nice refinery in their neighborhood? We all know there's enough petro in the pipeline problem is there just simply isn't enough capacity to convert it to the products that we buy. The last new refinery was built in .... well I really don't know.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:42 AM   #8

The was I see it, is why should the Oil Co's spend extra monies to build more refineries when, with the limited facilities, they're able to keep the supply low and prices high because of greater fuel demand. It's the old supply/demand syndrome. It appears they're reaping record quarterly profits. What happened to the "Windfall Profits Tax" that was levied against the Oil Co's back in the late 70's and early 80's when prices were high. I do believe, though no way prove it, there's a conspiracy among the oil consortiums that may border on "Anti-Trust" but no one's launching an investigation. Is it that someone, or many in the House and Senate in someone's pocket.--LOL

Best regards, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cactus Jim:
...I do believe, though no way prove it, there's a conspiracy among the oil consortiums that may border on "Anti-Trust" but no one's launching an investigation. Is it that someone, or many in the House and Senate in someone's pocket... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO!!!

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got back today, from a 4,000 mile trip. Last month we went 2,400 miles. Prices have increased about 30 cents per gal. Cost about 185 dollars more for fuel than it would have if we'd gone last month. Ain't going to cancel a trip for $185. Air fares have gone way up due to fuel prices are you going to quit flying. (I have to get back my $185. LOL)
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:23 AM   #11

The big oil companies are killing me. The price of diesel just went up to $2.89 per gallon where I live.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:45 AM   #12

Diesel here in Kentucky is at $2.29 a gallon. Not trying to rub salt in the wound here just letting everyone know what prices are like here in Ky.

Clint
Old 04-05-2005, 03:25 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The going price for diesel around here is also $2.299.

Gas has just about caught up with the diesel too, paid $2.249 @ Walmart (with 3 cent discount) for regular yesterday, there used to be a 20 cent spread between gas and diesel. Fuel cost per mile to pull the fiver down the highway is up to ~23 cents, a few short years ago it was costing ~12 cents per mile.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the main stretch of road in my area, less than 4 miles in length I saw the price of unleaded regular gas range from $2.459 to $2.599 per gallon. Why would anyone pay 14c a gallon extra for gas?

Another thing, what is the difference between the Enron price gouging nitemare a few years ago and commodity traders riping everybody off today?

George

cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote