Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #15

Good Stuff! All good stuff
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Take your time and don't rush it. Use the turnouts to let people pass when they are available so you won't feel pressured to push too hard up or down hill.
In California using the turnouts used to be mandatory if there were 7+ vehicles behind you. They changed that to 5+. Not sure about other states rules.

Anything below 8,000 feet is a hill.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #17

I am at speed limit or below before descending. If the engine can't hold it back, which is rare, I down shift if it is a long hill. If it is only a little ways to the bottom I will let the speed build a little and then brake to 10mph under speed limit and then let it build again instead of downshifting.

Only having a 5sp myself I descend in 5th OD or 4th Direct, 3rd is way too low for highway use.

Start out slow, don't let speed build unchecked, downshift downshift downshift.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ What he said..

When in the mountains, I generally drive mine manually. both for the climb and the descent..

I have 4 speeds and 275 hp.. so yours will be a little better..

When climbing, I'll allow the downshift to happen automatically, but on a long climb, I'll manually turn off the OD or drop the transmission into a lower gear to prevent constant upshift/downshift. If the climb is long/steep, I attempt to maintain a gear/speed that gives me 4,000 rpm without the gas pedal constantly on the floor.. I'm driving by rpms, not speed.

On my transmission,

OD gives me 65 mph at 2,500 rpm

3rd gives me 65 mph at 4,000 rpm.
2nd gives me 45 mph at 4,000 rpm
1st gives me 25 mph at 4,000 rpm.

Keep the rpms up there, no rpms, no power.. This engine will run 4,000 to 4,500 all day long. Its harder on your nerves than it is the engine.

On downhills I do similar, On long descents, I'll slow down and downshift to find a speed/gear where the MH doesn't build up speed to quickly. If it builds up speed , say 10 mph over 20 -30 seconds. I do a medium hard braking to lower the speed back down, then get off the brakes and allow the slow buildup again.. DO NOT ride the brakes.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #19

UPDATE:

On the last leg of our 10 day trip to Asheville. I just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone for all the tips and advice. I put them all to good use!

I felt so confident having prepared ahead of time and knowing what to do and what to expect that it made the driving exponentially better than if I hadn't asked the question and gotten the advice.

TY again folks
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
good advice here. We spend a few weeks west of Ashville in the Franklin area each year and yes there are some very steep mountains in that area. Use the transmission gearing to keep you rig in its power range, should be around 3400 rpm or so I think. Keep it slow as you crest the top and begin the descent. As others said speed builds fast so keep transmission in lower gear and build speed gradually. If you need to brake, brake enough to quickly get speed down and downshift if necessary then let off brake. DO NOT ride the the brakes. Easy long braking is very very bad and causes your brakes to heat and fail. Go slow and enjoy the view. Beautiful area of the country.