Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Doesn't clearly answer the question. If you connect to a 30A shore supply you will have 30A service - no matter if your RV is set up for 30A service, 50A service, or 100A service. The question was "How is your RV built?" Most manufacturers try to match the generator to the incoming supply as best as they can, so a 30A coach would have a 3500W generator while a 50A coach would have a 5500W generator.
Well, my coach has a 3 pronged powercord so I've always assumed it's a 30 amp rig. I wonder if it has the wrong cord installed? My owner's manual (copied from internet) say my year/model coach is supposed to have 50 amp service and I know I have a 5500W generator. Hmmmm.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

Trust me you would need more than a 5500 KW generator to run a 50 amp coach.

My 50 amp 2002 Monaco came with a 7500 KW Onan which is small compared to the 8000 KW Onan's that were put into the later model Windsor and Camelots.

Some of the bigger 50 amp coaches with 3 A/C's have the 10000 or 12000 KW Onan's.

If you have a three prong plug on your shore power cable then it is a 30 amp coach.

You should also be able to tell by looking at your main electrical panel to see how the circuit breakers are arranged.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You should also be able to tell by looking at your main electrical panel to see how the circuit breakers are arranged.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard
Correct
The "main breaker", in the electrical panel of my "50A coach", is a double pole 50A breaker.
(My earlier "30A class C" had a single pole 30A main breaker).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #46

45.8amps would be the rating for a 5500watt generator.

I=P/E
Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Onan Generator Specs

And again 45 amp would be what you would find in a typical 30 amp coach. That is why people with 30 amp coaches with 2 A/C's have no problem running both A/C's along with anything else that want to that needs 120 VAC power.

Attached is a brochure listing the manufacturer specs of the 6000 KW, 7500 KW and the 8000 KW Onan generators.

You can decide what is what.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins Onan HDKAT Features & Benefits.pdf (152.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #48

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hooligan,
Your drawing IS correct and IS only using one Leg of the 50 amp plug.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Communications---Must be my southern accent---Yes- It is only using one leg of the plug, therefore it does not use the other leg of that plug. My plug is still half full...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My apology to anyone who read my screwed up version of the 50/30 adaptor plug wiring. It was explained to me that way by an electrician, the same one who wired 220V to the plug he installed in his garage for his MH.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Mike,

Trust me you would need more than a 5500 KW generator to run a 50 amp coach.
A 30 Amp coach will generally NEVER use more than 3600 Watts - so there is no issue with the manufacturers cutting corners by not installing more generator than can be used by the coach. On the other hand, a 50A coach is capable of consuming 12KW of power, but most 50A gas coaches are delivered with a 5500W generator, mostly because it's cheaper, and the coach CAN get by on a total of 50A since the manufacturer sets it up so that most of the load is supplied by one side of the generator, and the second AC is supplied from a second winding in the generator. Of course, high end coaches, both gas and diesel, come equipped with 7500W, 12KW, or even 15KW generators because their electrical needs are greater - most of them have all-electric appliances, large inverters, and other electricity hogs so the extra power is appreciated by the owners.

Running a 50A coach on a 5500W generator is NOT impossible - we've had both ACs running, the water heater, fridge, TV, DirecTV receiver, laptops, hotspot, and other loads running in ours and the generator had no problem keeping up with the demand.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #51

All I want to know is how to keep my rig cool in the summer, especially this summer in the American Southwest. I have 30 amp service when plugged in. Our rig never got cool last summer during the day when plugged in on our trip to the Florida Keys.

Do most RV parks let you run your generator when parked? If so, do I need to buy a snorkle?

I'd much rather not have to run my generator. Can I simply put my fridge on gas power thus freeing up more power for both AC's? Do I need to turn off all othe electrical loads?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

You have been given some good ideas how to accomplish your task.

However, if you plan to run your generator in order to run your two A/C's you won't be staying in any RV Park or campground.

You will need to find a secluded location where you can dry camp and run your generator anytime you choose.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
I had this problem on a previous RV. I spliced the supply wire for one AC behind the breaker box with standard male/female 120v plugs. Then when I needed more juice, I unplugged the AC and plugged it into a heavy duty extension cord and plugged into the extra 120v plug on pedastal. I ran extra romex where the AC plug was in basement and easy access when I needed to run extension cord. James
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #54

I have 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta with 30amp shore power and I can run both AC's at the same time. It has some type of power management system that allows 1 air conditioner to start 1st, and then the second AC starts up about 30 seconds later and if I turn on the Microwave one AC shuts off and when the Microwave is done it starts right back up again. With both ac's running at full it is pulling about 26amps, so 30amps is more than enough power.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #55

We had a gasser with 50 amp cord and a 5500 watt generator that would run everything fine. 2 AC's and every once in a while the microwave.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
I ran both airs in my old 83 sportscoach no problem, it was. 30 amp.

Tags
power