Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #57

2 ac's on 30 amp coach

I realize this is an old thread but rather than start a new thread I thought I would add my 2 cents. My 1996 Four Winds XL has 30 amp service connection but can run both air conditioners off the generator but only 1 through a 3 position selector in the bedroom. There is 2 transfer switched one under each night stand in the bedroom. the one on the drivers side for switching the 30 amp circuit on the Generator or the shore power connection to the circuit breaker panel. The passenger side transfer switch will switch the power from the 3 position switch rear air to the 20 amp generator leg to the rear air.
I see 2 options to run both airs at a campground that has a 3 outlet pedestal (15 amp, 3o amp and 50 amp..
1. install a 50 amp breaker panel and shore connection, disable the 3 position switch and rewire the rear ac transfer switch to the second leg on the 50 amp panel. wire the rear ac into the new 50 amp panel..
2. Install an additional transfer switch in line to the rear ac and add a 15-20 amp shore power wire with 20 amp breaker to the connect to the campground pedestal.
Option 2 allows you keep all the original equipment with out modifications. You can also up grade at the pedestal if 15 amps is not available or is tied into the 30 amp connection, by using a 50 to 30 adaptor and 30 to 15 amp adaptor.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseybigfot View Post
I realize this is an old thread but rather than start a new thread I thought I would add my 2 cents. My 1996 Four Winds XL has 30 amp service connection but can run both air conditioners off the generator but only 1 through a 3 position selector in the bedroom. There is 2 transfer switched one under each night stand in the bedroom. the one on the drivers side for switching the 30 amp circuit on the Generator or the shore power connection to the circuit breaker panel. The passenger side transfer switch will switch the power from the 3 position switch rear air to the 20 amp generator leg to the rear air.
I see 2 options to run both airs at a campground that has a 3 outlet pedestal (15 amp, 3o amp and 50 amp..
1. install a 50 amp breaker panel and shore connection, disable the 3 position switch and rewire the rear ac transfer switch to the second leg on the 50 amp panel. wire the rear ac into the new 50 amp panel..
2. Install an additional transfer switch in line to the rear ac and add a 15-20 amp shore power wire with 20 amp breaker to the connect to the campground pedestal.
Option 2 allows you keep all the original equipment with out modifications. You can also up grade at the pedestal if 15 amps is not available or is tied into the 30 amp connection, by using a 50 to 30 adaptor and 30 to 15 amp adaptor.
Another way is to install a junction box into the line from the generator that goes to the rear AC. Wire from that junction box to a furnace transfer switch that has a 20 amp male socket and a breaker, like you can install to tie in a generator to your home furnace.
Tie in a 20 amp female plug pigtail to plug into your male socket when the gennie is running (will take the gen power back to the rear AC) and rig a 30 amp extension cord with a 20 amp socket to plug in when you have shore power.
You can then buy/make a dual 30 amp to single 50 amp plug and use just the 50 amp hook-up for both extension cords.

Its what we've done and it works slick.

Also found that on many campground pedestals you cannot use the 30 and the 50 amp at the same time.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Another way is to install a junction box into the line from the generator that goes to the rear AC. Wire from that junction box to a furnace transfer switch that has a 20 amp male socket and a breaker, like you can install to tie in a generator to your home furnace.
Tie in a 20 amp female plug pigtail to plug into your male socket when the gennie is running (will take the gen power back to the rear AC) and rig a 30 amp extension cord with a 20 amp socket to plug in when you have shore power.
You can then buy/make a dual 30 amp to single 50 amp plug and use just the 50 amp hook-up for both extension cords.

Its what we've done and it works slick.

Also found that on many campground pedestals you cannot use the 30 and the 50 amp at the same time.
Didn't think of the furnas gen switch, also a good idea. I can pick up a transfer switch for $50 an make the transfer automatic when you plug in the 15 amp cord .
I was at a state camp ground in NC and they only had 30/15 amp service so not up grading to a 50 amp plug shore connection has some advantages.

I guess that at the pedestal the 30 ties into one of the 50 amps leg with the same phase. so having the dual 30 adaptor gives you the option to pick the other phase.

Tags
power