Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

Any way to get both AC's to work with 30 amp shore power?

'07 National Surfside Class A motorhome.

When I'm hooked up to 30 amp shore power, I can only get one of my AC's to operate. When I unplug the shore line and turn on my generator, I can get both AC's to operate. I don't want to run my generator. Is there any way to get both AC's to operate from shore power?

Is there any benefit to running the generator while plugged in to shore power? Is it even safe to do so?

Thanks.

Mike
MikeLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Mike the deal is an ac needs about 20amp for start up. The only way to make this work out is an energy management system. Fleetwood did this a lot. With little success. Now having said that you may find it easier to convert to 50 amp. Its not as bad as you may have heard. You can add a small breaker box just for that ac. This will allow you to plug into 50 amp. I will be glad to help more if you think that is something you wanna do.
okrvrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Your coach won't get power from shore and gen at same time.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrvrepair View Post
Mike the deal is an ac needs about 20amp for start up. The only way to make this work out is an energy management system. Fleetwood did this a lot. With little success. Now having said that you may find it easier to convert to 50 amp. Its not as bad as you may have heard. You can add a small breaker box just for that ac. This will allow you to plug into 50 amp. I will be glad to help more if you think that is something you wanna do.
Thanks, adding a smaller breaker box for the ac sounds intriguing. It sounds like it needs to be done by a certified electrician, am I right?

I'm heading out west this summer to the Grand Canyon from Tifton, Ga going through Texas. It's gonna be plenty hot and I want my ac working and cooling properly.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Its not too bad. Not all Rv places are proficient at this. I will be glad to help with this. I am in Oklahoma. I own a Rv service center. You can find me at amrvo in Oklahoma city. Thanks chris
Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can not run 2 AC units off of 30 amps. You need a 50 amp service to do that. Is your rig a 30 amp or a 50 amp rig. If it is 30 you will need to convert it to 50 amp. New transfer switch will also be needed if you have a 30 amp rig.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrvrepair View Post
Your coach won't get power from shore and gen at same time.
okrvrepair
Correct.

That's the job of the "transfer switch".

On my coach the genset can be safely started and run while the coach is plugged to shore power.
About a minute after my genset is started while the coach is connected to shore power, (plugged in), the transfer switch automatically switches from shore to generator power).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
okrvrepair
Correct.

That's the job of the "transfer switch".

On my coach the genset can be safely started and run while the coach is plugged to shore power.
About a minute after my genset is started while the coach is connected to shore power, (plugged in), the transfer switch automatically switches from shore to generator power).

Mel
'96 Safari
Well, I forgot to unplug my powercord before starting my generator and nothing blew up, shorted out or caught fire. I guess I have a transfer switch, too.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
It's a bad practice to do that. It puts a heavy load on your transpsfer relay and eventually the relay contacts will fail. Better to always unplug shore power before starting generator.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
It's a bad practice to do that. It puts a heavy load on your transpsfer relay and eventually the relay contacts will fail. Better to always unplug shore power before starting generator.
I will, it was an accident.

Unrelated question, hope you can answer: I am having guests for the weekend staying in the rv and I think I'll have to run the generator all night in order to cool it enough. Is it safe to run the generator w/o a snorkle? The exhaust pipe is up against a hedge row.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLeonard View Post
'07 National Surfside Class A motorhome.

When I'm hooked up to 30 amp shore power, I can only get one of my AC's to operate. When I unplug the shore line and turn on my generator, I can get both AC's to operate. I don't want to run my generator. Is there any way to get both AC's to operate from shore power?

Is there any benefit to running the generator while plugged in to shore power? Is it even safe to do so?

Thanks.

Mike
All the previous answers are correct but I am intrigued that you are able to run both AC's off the generator. Do you have 50 amp service in the coach or just 30? What capacity is your generator?
As has been pointed out there is no benefit to running the generator and being plugged in as the transfer switch connects all the load to the generator.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
All the previous answers are correct but I am intrigued that you are able to run both AC's off the generator. Do you have 50 amp service in the coach or just 30? What capacity is your generator?
As has been pointed out there is no benefit to running the generator and being plugged in as the transfer switch connects all the load to the generator.
I have 30 amp service when connected to shore power. The generator is a 5500. It produces 45.8 amps.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLeonard View Post
I will, it was an accident.

Unrelated question, hope you can answer: I am having guests for the weekend staying in the rv and I think I'll have to run the generator all night in order to cool it enough. Is it safe to run the generator w/o a snorkle? The exhaust pipe is up against a hedge row.

I wouldn't do this without a genturi (snorkel). I'm surprised one AC won't cool your rig at night. Run genny and both AC until the guests come out, then switch to shore power while sleeping.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
You can not run 2 AC units off of 30 amps. You need a 50 amp service to do that. Is your rig a 30 amp or a 50 amp rig. If it is 30 you will need to convert it to 50 amp. New transfer switch will also be needed if you have a 30 amp rig.
That is not correct in all cases. My 18 year old MH has the power management system and we run both airs frequently. The system manages the power by dropping the rear air temporarily, compressor only, if the power draw is too high, example microwave, sweeper. I will run the Refer on propane if it is really hot out and want max AC.

Something that can help is an adapter plug that allows you to plug into 50amp service and get 30 amp service to your coach. Sometimes the CG service is not giving you a good service on the 30 amp.

Tags
power