Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #15

We carry our bikes on a hitch mount rack on the toad. Never had a problem till 2 yrs ago.Coming back to Texas across La, It was pouring down rain. Checked bikes, toad tires ect. at fuel stop outside New Orleans. Next stop Lake Charles for shrimp Po'boys, still raining,didn't check bikes or toad. Next stop dinner in Walmart lot outside Houston. No bikes or rack on back of toad. Either someone stole the rack with bikes in Lake Charles, or the washboard called IH-10 caused the pin on the receiver hitch to fall out & lose the rack & bikes. I can't definitly say wich.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #16

I had two Walmart bikes (grand kids) fall off the bumper rack when I only strapped them with a plastic buckled nylon strap. Never saw them again, but lesson learned. Now use several bungees and a cable lock.
Speaking of the cable lock, I replaced the Wally bikes with good mountain bikes for the grand kids. They loved them, but so did a pushy seasonal kid at a campground we stayed at for a few days. I locked all 3 bikes to the pin at night and the next morning the girl walks over and says "look, someone tried to cut your cable." I had to look hard to see the cut in the cable cover, but knew she who smelt it, dealt it.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Have carried 2 -3 bikes either on the rear of the RV trailer on a rack or now in a truck bed. Since 1999 I have not been victim yet to any light handed persons. I have rarely locked them up, nor at the campground. But I don't have super $$$ bikes. Mine is a Schwinn and my wife and son's are 10 years old. If we happen to stop at a restaurant or Wally-dock, I do have a 6' cable lock I will use if need be.

Between getting our newer trailer and getting the new truck last year, for two seasons I put the bikes inside the RV. Pain in the butt...But I didn't want to go thru buying a new bike rack and support, knowing I was getting a truck in a year or two.

My sons bike I got for $15 at a garage sale and mine was also a garage sale find where someone had just bought it and damaged the rear rim. I happened to have a new rim for my old mtn. bike. So for $3 I swapped out my rim from my old bike to the new Schwinn. So I'm into the bike for $3,,,so you can say it don't owe me anything.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,
We also carry our bikes on a receiver hitch behind our toad using a Yakima 2-bike rack.I wrap a cable lock around and thru and we have never had one stolen yet.After reading this thread I may consider removing the seats.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Hello Joe,

I think the bikes would be an easier target sitting in your CRV, just a broken window away for a thief. Like others, we have a receiver hitch on our Jeep, and a heavy duty bike rack that lowers to the ground with a push of a foot pedal. Then, the most important safeguard is a really good cable that cannot be cut easily, long enough to tie everything to the rack and the vehicle. We have quick disconnects on the seats and front tires, and those ride in a compartment on the moho. Lets see 'em ride away with no seat, and no front tire! Be sure to keep the rear lights visible on the CRV, you can get stopped by the PD if they are blocked, ask me how I know. . .

Have you considered a roof rack for the CRV? Or mounting them on the ladder on your moho? We have never used either, just another idea.

Bruce

Bruce, I'm too old to wrestle with a roof and ladder racks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
We carry our bikes on a hitch mount rack on the toad. Never had a problem till 2 yrs ago.Coming back to Texas across La, It was pouring down rain. Checked bikes, toad tires ect. at fuel stop outside New Orleans. Next stop Lake Charles for shrimp Po'boys, still raining,didn't check bikes or toad. Next stop dinner in Walmart lot outside Houston. No bikes or rack on back of toad. Either someone stole the rack with bikes in Lake Charles, or the washboard called IH-10 caused the pin on the receiver hitch to fall out & lose the rack & bikes. I can't definitly say wich.

Did you have a locking type pin?

Old 03-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for you comments!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #22

We have old bikes,don't think anyone would take them.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #23

Some great ideas. Never have we had any problems, but it only takes the first time. PS: So glad to hear that you're still with us HuffyPuff.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
We have traveled fairly extensively with our bikes going to races over the years, and know of situations in which bikes that were not locked were stolen. It would be my opinion that a cable would be sufficient in most circumstances, but I would be to nervous to leave bikes overnight locked up on the rack. We now keep our bikes either in the back of our SUV, or in the cargo bays. Both are out of sight and we have never had a problem with that.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #25

Not yet. I have a receiver hitch in front of my truck with a locking pin. I don't always lock the bikes. I should I know. When I do lock them, I use 2 cables, a ulock, and a padlock.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a 5 or $600 bike the seat and front wheel are the least expensive part to replace, so that bike is hardly worthless with them removed. In the dark of the night they don't have to ride the bike away.

Glenn
Old 03-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #27

We have this hitch mount on the back of the toad.

Thule Doubletrack 2 Bike 990XT - Thule

When in the RV park I move it to the back of the bus, always have a locking bike rack. Just slide the hook down and turn the key.

When they're on the the toad and I need in the liftgate, they can be removed quickly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
or the washboard called IH-10 caused the pin on the receiver hitch to fall out & lose the rack & bikes. I can't definitly say wich.
Now wouldn't that be a nice package laying in the road for someone to come along and hit. The bottom line here seems to be to lock the bikes to something because most of the time when the item is locked the scumbags wont bother messing with it, they just go to the next one that is not locked.