Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Anybody have a bicycle stolen?

We're trying to decide where to carry our bikes when we start our one-year trial fulltiming.

We can fold them and put them inside the CRV along with our folding recliners, but it would take up most of the room.

The other option is to have a trailer hitch put on the back of the CRV and carry them on a bike rack back there. This would be my preference, but I'm a little concerned about somebody using a bolt cutter to cut the bicycle locks and helping themselves to $350 worth of bicycles! This would be a concern when we're stopped at a Wal-Mart or other location, either for the night or just to pick up some needed supplies.

Has anyone here ever had a bicycle stolen off your RV or toad, or heard of anyone who has? Thank you for your comments!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #2

We have a tiny coach by most standards (23 A), but it has a dinette. When we are just 2 (most of the time) the folded bicycles live underneath it. It makes for a little cramped knee room, but they stay clean, dry and with us. When we are someplace for more than a day, I may leave them chained outside and under a blue "trap". As bicycles go, these truly suck, but many years gone, I raced and had bicycles that cost as much as some friend's cars. So, they really have to be compared to walking.....

Matt
Old 03-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #3

I put mine on a bike rack in the receiver of my Jeep or the coach. I have never had any problems but that doesn't mean it can not happen. I lock mine through the wheels and the frames to the vehicles with a good cable lock. You can only do so much and then cross your fingers and keep your eyes on them.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While camping at South Carlsbad State Beach in California, many people had their bicycles stolen the weekend we were there. It's apparently a thing! Only loose bicycles and items taken. Nothing locked up was reported missing.

The local kids who go surfing in the mornings, (who live nearby in million-dollar homes), think nothing of "borrowing" bicycles as they walk through the campground which is also a public access route to the beach.

They ride them though the campground to the end of the pavement, where the beach is, and typically just leave them there at the edge of the sand. However, other people with pickup trucks patrol the area and collect the accumulated bikes, (coolers, lanterns, chairs, scooters, etc...).
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #5

had a $300 roadbike taken off my 4-bike rack
in Medford OR last October while overnight in
a Freightliner parking lot next to the street -
I didnt have a lock on the bikes since we started
fulltime RVing last August - it was just too
tempting for someone walking by : )
(the roadbike was the first one on the rack,
therefore the easiest and quickest to take)

we have a 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 35' DP
with a 8" inverted drop hitch
then a 4-bike rack, hitch(walmart)
then a BlueOx Alpha tow bar
and a 2014 FordFiesta toad
and 19k miles across country twice
in N Ga mountains now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	733.9 KB
ID:	88985  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
had a $300 roadbike taken off my 4-bike rack
in Medford OR last October while overnight in
a Freightliner parking lot next to the street -
I didnt have a lock on the bikes since we started
fulltime RVing last August - it was just too
tempting for someone walking by : )
(the roadbike was the first one on the rack,
therefore the easiest and quickest to take)
I pity that fool! If only he knew your name!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We have quick releases on our front wheels and we just take the wheel off. It's hard to ride it away like that. But we also lock them to keep honest people honest.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I lock mine to my ladder using one of those cheap ladder racks (just one bike). I use lots of bungees to hold it there as well, would take someone a bit of time to cut all the ones I use, plus it's way up in the air so it's that much less convenient to quickly grab.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have hauled both mountain bikes and road bikes around the country without issue. We use hitch-mounted carriers; two bikes mounted to the MH and two mounted to the Toad. It's a pretty serious hobby for us so the bikes are not your run-of-the-mill types. They could be targets, I guess, but we always keep them locked (and sometimes covered). I know there are "baddies" out there, but we have never (knock on wood) become victims. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been thinking of getting a hitch mount rack to take one of our bikes with us. It just takes up too much room in the back of the Odyssey. Would need to get a swing away or drop down one though due to the hatch opening. And, yes, I would lock it up solidly with a 3/8" cable and big lock.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haul ours on a hitch Mounted rack and always with a cover unless a short nonstop run. I figure if it's covered it is not only harder to get at, but also they don't know if it's somthing worth taking.

Glenn
Old 03-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hello Joe,

I think the bikes would be an easier target sitting in your CRV, just a broken window away for a thief. Like others, we have a receiver hitch on our Jeep, and a heavy duty bike rack that lowers to the ground with a push of a foot pedal. Then, the most important safeguard is a really good cable that cannot be cut easily, long enough to tie everything to the rack and the vehicle. We have quick disconnects on the seats and front tires, and those ride in a compartment on the moho. Lets see 'em ride away with no seat, and no front tire! Be sure to keep the rear lights visible on the CRV, you can get stopped by the PD if they are blocked, ask me how I know. . .

Have you considered a roof rack for the CRV? Or mounting them on the ladder on your moho? We have never used either, just another idea.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #13

We use a hitch mounted rack on our Terrain. A neighbor just bought a 2014 CRV and is putting a roof rack on it. Thinks it will be more secure. My electric bike could be a target I guess?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I put mine on a bike rack in the receiver of my Jeep or the coach. I have never had any problems but that doesn't mean it can not happen. I lock mine through the wheels and the frames to the vehicles with a good cable lock. You can only do so much and then cross your fingers and keep your eyes on them.
I do what 530 do plus I take the seat and front wheel by quick release off and put them inside the Jeep. Then the bikes are worthless to steal as they can't ride away on them.
huffypuff is offline   Reply With Quote