Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
I carry a tire thumper, but DW does not like to be called that. So watch what you say.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
As previous many discussions/threads and moderator inputs have been put forward, it's my understanding the discussing of guns as related to RVing is allowed. If something has changed in the rules, please advise. Thanks!
I think what the administrator was eluding to is that this thread is about Tire Thumper's not about guns.

If you want to discuss guns take it to a new thread.

Just my opinion.

And I do not own or use a tire thumper as they do not work as well as my Doran TPMS. A tire thumper would not have caught the flat tire I had on my rear tandem axle trailer while hauling 12,000 lbs.

How do you thump a tire when you are traveling 62 mph down the highway?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The original post entirely eludes to a subject of a choice of weapon for "defense."

Let me just say this. Whatever you use you best know how to use it. There are many, very many, everyday items that can be used as a defensive (and even offensive) means of protection.

So, if you see me take my pen out of my right front pocket, be prepared as it could be in the process of being used as a weapon, or to give you my phone number.

It amazes me when I can travel on commercial aircraft with a Rollin' Writer in my pocket.

And if a tire thumper is swung at me - well - that is not the way to use it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Just because an object CAN be used as a deadly weapon, does not mean it is if in your possesion. A tire thumper or baseball bat are legitmate everyday tools.
In NJ a baseball bat is considered a weapon unless it is carried with a ball and a glove.

We moved.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #19

Pond Piggies Club
OK, now that we have gotten 100% sidetracked, let a truck driver toss this in. Please read your Haz-mat book. It will tell you that you have to stop and check your tires, I believe every two hours when hauling haz-mat. If somebody has a new 525 book you can correct me. Anyway....the tire thumper was/is used by haz mat drivers as a quick way of checking tires. Other drives use them, however 25+ years ago when I started driving, they were in every assigned tractor that the driver hauled haz-mat in.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpytrkr View Post
OK, now that we have gotten 100% sidetracked, let a truck driver toss this in. Please read your Haz-mat book. It will tell you that you have to stop and check your tires, I believe every two hours when hauling haz-mat. If somebody has a new 525 book you can correct me. Anyway....the tire thumper was/is used by haz mat drivers as a quick way of checking tires. Other drives use them, however 25+ years ago when I started driving, they were in every assigned tractor that the driver hauled haz-mat in.

Just my 2 cents worth.
You are correct Grumpy,,, every two hours OR every 100 miles... Per the CDL book,, version 2.0. (the latest one,,, I just renewed my cdl/hazmat last month) ...
All of "our" newer equipment is equipped with a tire inflation system , in case of a slow leak,, but you should still stop every once in a while and check them. I 'thump' our rv tires every stop, be it for gas, a nature break, anything. We don't have a TPMS yet, but I'd still check them anyway at a stop... Old school I guess...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I purchased one thinking it would be better than having a pistol or bear spray in my motorhome for fear of my kids getting a hold of either.

But have come to find out, of the three, the tire thumper is the one that could be ruled a felony possession.
I guess it is plausible if one is driving a big rig...but a motorhome?
The above is Eric's original post. It has nothing to do with thumping tires, so any sidetracking that is being done is when talking about thumping tires.

I still stand that weapons are all around us. One just has to use their imagination, observe their surroundings, and be prepared to do what is necessary to defend themselves.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #22

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
You are correct Grumpy,,, every two hours OR every 100 miles... Per the CDL book,, version 2.0. (the latest one,,, I just renewed my cdl/hazmat last month) ...
All of "our" newer equipment is equipped with a tire inflation system , in case of a slow leak,, but you should still stop every once in a while and check them. I 'thump' our rv tires every stop, be it for gas, a nature break, anything. We don't have a TPMS yet, but I'd still check them anyway at a stop... Old school I guess...
Thanks for the update on the haz-mat tire checking. It has been a while since I hauled tanker/haz-mat.

I don't have anything that would require me to have a tire thumper. I do carry a torque wrench, and get funny looks when I'm checking the trailer tires. I don't know much about the newer tractor/trailer equiptment. Been "retired" for a couple of years now. The TPMS that is in the wife's car is a pain in the butt. I'm glad my 04 Dodge doesn't have them.

Again, thanks for the update.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
laj

Have carried one for yrs. but that's not what we use to call them. Very handy, and quick to check tires with Mine sits right under my seat.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
In NJ a baseball bat is considered a weapon unless it is carried with a ball and a glove.

We moved.
In NJ, you can't pump your own gas, so what's your point?

What LEO would normally question a baseball bat or hockey stick?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
The above is Eric's original post. It has nothing to do with thumping tires, so any sidetracking that is being done is when talking about thumping tires.

I still stand that weapons are all around us. One just has to use their imagination, observe their surroundings, and be prepared to do what is necessary to defend themselves.
Sorry Wayne and Eric,, I get sidetracked easy especially after another 62+ hr work week. (my excuse) I totally agree "observe your surroundings" . I was trying to avoid getting wacked by a well meaning moderator by saying what I carry in the rv, and on my person...(legally). I would do Anything necessary to protect my family,, be it here or a 1000 miles away. I have also been thinking a nice 'walking stick' would be nice for a little extra reach in a non-lethal situation,be it 2 legged or 4 legged, as we always have our "kids" with us and of course walk them.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #26

This is 'sort of 'what I was thinking,,, I'll find one I like at a craft show someday or such... This would be better than nothing, and as 'kid safe' as you can get I figure. If it came down to it, I could document my years of going to a chiropractor .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hiking Stick-Regular 200-12.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	27312  
Old 10-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ever since I brought my class c home from the dealers there is a tire iron laying between the seats. I never found a jack or a spare tire to go with it so I guess it's to be used as an tire thumper too!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Last one on here was real civilised and lasted for a bunch of pages. They said as long as folks were playing nice it could continue. That was only a few months ago.