Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

Anyone else dislike the look of modern trailer design?

I've been to a few shows and half a dozen RV lots and find that 99% of the travel trailers and RV's i looked at all look the same. Beige brown apartment rental furniture looks. To me it looks like trailer park trash / Renta Center / Walmart designs. the same style wallpaper and wall paid, Same vinyl flooring and counters and cabinets. I havn't seen anything different with any quality build and design like the Air Steams. I did check out the Shasta 1962 Air Flyte travel trailer re-issue but they pretty much have sold out by now. That was a breath of fresh air but I didn't care for the rear of the trailer. there was no master bedroom back there.

Are there any large trailer makers planning on quality retro looks or upscale modern designs? If you search for sofa's or lighting on the internet you know what i'm saying about Modern design.

Maybe an IKEA version of a travel trailer? that's getting an Air Stream on the cheap. Design doesn't have to cost money or interfere with function.
stylinlp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

How far back do you want to go?

Or one of these classics?

Modern Exteriors of RVs are in keeping with military camouflage to help hide them in campgrounds:

Now interiors, the first is rustic American, the second is Ikea.

Not really sure what you mean by "trailer park trash / Renta Center / Walmart designs" but I'm sure you've put down someone!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ooh...Ooh (channeling Gunther Toody from Car 54)..tell me about the white one with the reverse slant windows...

Just saw one like the red &white one at the local Lowe's a few days ago (can't remember the name, darnit...)

Is the green one a Pierce Arrow?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:25 AM   #4
IC2

With really only a couple holding companies (Thor and Berkshire-Hathaway) owning most, but not all, brand names, it makes sense, at least to them, that there be a generalized design which sells to us, the masses. You pick the exterior color you like then move into the interior and pick the layout that suits you and move next to which fits your wallet. I think that the last trailer with a unique design, privately owned company was the Glendale Titanium, but unfortunately they folded from financial mismanagement in 2010 (or we would be towing another one)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #5

thanks Dave&Carol and IC2. You described the process of buying a new RV very well. Unfortunately, there usually isn't much a color and design choice for the interior. Sure, you could throw up some curtains and hang some covering. But they all look the same. Same beige dull brown walls and counters. I was really impressed with that 1963 Shasta re-issue. I guess what I am asking is if the Trailer makers saw the popularity and will be producing more "vintage" or "Ikea" designed look trailers. Last RV show I went to I practically gagged walking into a the 120th trailer with the same interior looks. Even some of the EggShell trailers have better design aesthetics than 99% of the modern travel trailers/rv's.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
When we went RV shopping 2 years ago, we also noticed a lot of very similar interiors - except for the one with the bold zigzag brown upholstery (no offense intended if someone reading this has one of those, it was just a little too strong for us)... While we had been considering a fairly new Thor after seeing them at an RV show, we ended up buying an older Fleetwood Pace Arrow with a green interior color scheme (one of several reasons we liked it).

It could be worse - look up the '70's GMC motorhomes. Beautiful units but those '70's interior colors...yow.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:53 AM   #7
IC2

When we were looking last year, it started out as a casual thing - if the right one grabs us, we'll consider it. The first was a Forest River product that had the desired regular counter (DW's request) instead of the now common island kitchen and gaudy yellowish tan furniture -- blehhhhh. The dealer had a a supposedly identical unit but with more conventional looking interior which we signed up for after seeing it at his other site. He reneged on some items so we started over at other dealers, looking at that same model but branching out to other makes. We ended up with the Montana High Country as it had everything we wanted or at least close enough for about the same dollars. Jump ahead to this year, we have replaced the uncomfortable swivel recliners with La-z- boys -----ahhhh, niicce, and are looking to replace the air mattress hide a bed for next season. Exterior wise - since the nose cap needed to be painted (a common problem on many brands these days) I had them leave the busy mountain scene off which is a much cleaner look. Yes, I have that decal for that day it goes down the road with another owner and have the take out furniture but we have taken the 'standard box' and made some changes that have kinda made it a little different and will further 'refine' it to our desires, and hopefully not be a cookie cutter like that other one down the lineup of RVs.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If you want "like an Airstream", why not buy an Airstream? A Thor subsidiary, by the way...

Most trailers look alike because they are all trying to sell to the mainstream (80% of buyers) and using the same construction techniques to meet the same cost/price targets.

The higher end models don't look trashy, but most of those are 5W cause that's where the high end buyers go. They still look much the same overall, but not Walmart furnishings. DRVSuites, New Horizons, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a business opportunity for you Stylin !!!

Start building them and see what the demand is (or maybe there isn't much of a demand - why they aren't available - do you recall manual transmissions ??? )
Old 08-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

They also have the same (IMHO wrong) target audience they think (incorrectly) like that look.

They totally blow off the retiree market for anything but DP's yet there are a lot of retired folks buying every size because they have the time to use them but are not interested in a 40 ft DP for a variety of reasons. Many do not even want an A, again for a variety of reasons. Few in that audience need sleeps 6, seats 4 for dinner, seats 2-3 to watch TV without a crick in their neck. Try and find a layout that does 2 in comfort with a third on occasion. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If you want "like an Airstream", why not buy an Airstream? A Thor subsidiary, by the way...

Most trailers look alike because they are all trying to sell to the mainstream (80% of buyers) and using the same construction techniques to meet the same cost/price targets.

The higher end models don't look trashy, but most of those are 5W cause that's where the high end buyers go. They still look much the same overall, but not Walmart furnishings. DRVSuites, New Horizons, etc.
There is a place here in town that restores vintage Airstreams, they have a boatload of hulks on their lot ready for the tranformation. If you have to ask about the cost, you can't afford it.

Custom Airstream, luxury trailers, retail & marketing vehicles
Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #12

Great feedback, thank you. At least I'm not alone in my delima. Yes, an AirStream would be ideal. I cannot stomach the look of anything else once Ive seen one of those. But my target price is around $20k for a 20 to 22 foot Travel Trailer. That new Shasta Retro 1963 Flyte 16ft and 19ft model was near perfect. Beautiful wood cabinets, walls and ceiling with a mid century modern original flair. I just didn't like that there was no queen bed in the back. also they are sold out. Missed out.

Its just me and a big maybe a woman to stay with me. im in my 40's and live the hiking outdoor life style. Tent gets old after days and days and weather. Also, it is great to be able to take a shower after a hike and relax and sleep out of the rain when that happens. Extended weekends is all I need it for. But the look is very important to me.

To remind everyone again, the reason I started this thread is to ask if any big RV companies are planning in 2016 for another retro model like Shasta did. Or something more modern looking like Volkswagen Westfalia is doing in Germany.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #13

Tennessee RV in Knoxville has 6 of the 16' Shastas in stock, if that's what you want.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

LOL. Lamenting about the lack of a queen bed in a 16 footer seems a bit droll.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote