Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Anyone ever get a pinch flat driving over a curb?

Where we park for our football tailgates requires us to pull up and over a curb into a field. It is a normal sized curb and not one of those huge 10" curbs.
Anyway, so long as I am keeping 60-70 psi in my tires should I be worried about flat pinching my tires?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'd just make sure that my tires were inflated to the proper PSI... BUT, I think I would carry a couple short lengths of 2x6 to ramp the tires up to the curb just in case. Very cheap insurance against a bad day.

Good luck.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not done a curb cut to get into my rear yard - so drive over the curb - many times over many years without a problem. 19.5's on the MH. Pickup truck and jeep and occatioally a car in/out many more times than the MH - never a problem.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I think you would want to be near 90 degrees to the curb before going over. I once went over a curb near a 30 degree approach angle and apparenty damaged the sidewall. The damage was not visible but in about 350 miles the tire went down while driving on the interstate. Could be a coincidence but I think it was due to the curb.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #5

I'd agree with the 2x6's, it would also ease the pull up , Just lay them flat, like another step. Also as posted, make sure you're 90 degrees, the way the tires were designed to take the load. Should be no prob... Go slow, especially on the way back out, you wouldn't want to bounce it down..
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #6

Well, my approach does not sound favorable it appears.
The games are in Baltimore. So, it amounts to pulling off a downtown road in heavy traffic at a 45 degree angle. There is no way to hit it at a 90 degree angle since it is only a 2 lane road. I also cannot 'ramp' the curb for fear of being shot from causing a major back up. lol
I was hoping that keeping 70 psi in my front tires would help eliminate a pinch flat. But the last thing I want is to be stranded over night in downtown Baltimore.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

Well, I wouldn't say "don't" do it,,, guess we were looking at a "better" way... Like you said Eric, properly inflated tires, go slow, and I'd do it since it's important to you.
My opinion for what it's worth.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #8

Thanks Monkey.
Yeah, I mentioned to my wife about jumping out of the Rogue to put 2- 2' wide block ramps down when we pull into our lot and she said the same thing, "You want me to get shot?!" lol
I know it is nothing like NYC, but those that drive downtown Baltimore know what I mean.
The next question will be, is there a way for me to visibly tell if I am causing any damage to my tires besides the typical rub marks, bulges on the sidewalls, etc?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #9

Your coach may be at a 45 degree angle but, once you turn your front wheels sharp enough to complete the turn, it seems they will likely be relatively close to 90 degrees to the curb as the right and left tires make contact. Also, once the front end has gone over the curb and onto the road, you will begin to align with it and the rear tires should approach the curb at a safe angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
Well, my approach does not sound favorable it appears.
The games are in Baltimore. So, it amounts to pulling off a downtown road in heavy traffic at a 45 degree angle. There is no way to hit it at a 90 degree angle since it is only a 2 lane road. I also cannot 'ramp' the curb for fear of being shot from causing a major back up. lol
I was hoping that keeping 70 psi in my front tires would help eliminate a pinch flat. But the last thing I want is to be stranded over night in downtown Baltimore.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #10

Call and plan ahead!

Since you state "tailgate" is it a safe assumption that there will be others there?

One could work with the others to have someone place a couple 4x4 and 2x4 in the curb to make the ramp.

____XXXXX

Better would be a 2X10 on the bottom with 2X6 on top, staggered so they can be made with 5 ft long parts that fit in a car, then go together to make a 10 ft wide ramp.

Someone who is local can be tasked with storing and setting up for the group, MANY problems solved.