Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Hey guys I've done most of the changes as well but two words of caution which probably no real gadget man will listen to. Make your changes one at a time so you recognize which change did the most good.

You (the OP) are driving a 26A and poster #2 is driving a 33C. Your coach is 28' long, 16,000 GVWR, WB of 158", 1 roof AC, and 19.5" tires. His coach is 34+ feet long, GVRW 22,000 lbs, 220" wheel base 2-roof AC's and 22.5" tires. He's happy with the ride and has done nothing to his rig. They are different in many, many respects.

The biggest difference is the weight and the tire sizes. The 22.5" tire combined with the extra length and weight will potentially (if the tire pressures are good) give that coach a better ride. It will be less effected by winds and approaching semi's. Hence poster #2 feels no need to make any changes.

It simply amazes me that many, posters still try to compare apples and oranges. Lets look at it another way. Most of us are old enough to remember the older cars we drove. Nobody would ever compare the ride quality of a Chevy Nova or Vega to a Cadillac. There is no comparison. They are different. Most of us have often used the phrase, "Man that thing rides like a, "Cadillac", for a reason. The word Cadillac and the phrase, "A good ride" have become synonymous.

It's somewhat simple. If you are seeking information and get a response make sure the poster is driving a coach close to the same as yours. Or don't jump at the chance to spend $$$$$$ doing something that another poster did if his/her unit is not close to the same as yours.

The CHF has probably made the biggest difference to more coaches than almost any other suspension MOD (and it's CHEAP). Yet some have reported little to no change, or in a few cases a slightly harsher ride, while 95% plus have reported dramatic improvements. Again it can be attributed to the various differences between coaches. JMHO

TeJay
Good call and you are correct, comparisons need to be made with the same type of equipment. However, the original post did not ask for any comparisons, simply if anyone has done any mods and gone over board which is how I responded. I like to see who has done what and see the results, all good reading.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #16

I do wish I had followed Teejays advice to do one at a time. But I ordered all of them and am having them all installed monday before I take a 2 week trip. I almost went and ordered air tabs and sumo springs but decided I should stop and take my trip. TBH, I'm pretty happy with the ride now, but I can see how much better it could be with the upgrades.

To people who don't see why you "need" to do upgrades. I don't "need" the upgrades. I want them. I want my RV to ride like a Lexus LS instead of a Toyota Camry. Both ride great and there is no "need" for anything more than a Camry. But we can all agree that the LS is better.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm with you, "ThatgrimGuy" Even if a MOD gives me a 5% improvement I'll do all I can. Besides that every steering and handling MOD works in more than one way. They all work together to give you a package of better ride and handling. A better shock not only dampens the suspension oscillations it also helps to soften the rough ride, helps to control sway from wind gusts and semi's approaching. If you get hit with a gust of wind the steering shock helps to control steering wheel movement. The steer safe resists steering wheel movement and on and on.

It is a complete package of ride and handling improvements. I'll take a 5% improvement over no improvement.

One other thought. Several posters have stated that their coaches rode good from the factory. They would rather spend the money on CG's and fuel than on ride and handling improvements. Well 95% of the time we try not to drive in hurricanes or bad storms either. However when we can't avoid those situations of unexpected storms and high gusting winds I want the best controlled safest ride I can have.
So I'll do what I can to avoid a dangerous situation.

Just three days ago I was in a situation with merging traffic and a passing semi. I was completely aware of the traffic on both sides of the MH but an unexpected gust of wind jerked the wheel out of my hand. I fear what might have happened had I not done the R&H improvements. For a moment it felt like the merging vehicle on my right actually hit the MH because the movement was so sudden and violent. That was the only gust for the 100 miles that I drove. It was not a really bad windy day. It almost felt like. "The Perfect Storm."

TeJay
Old 08-17-2015, 04:53 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Hmmm - mods are good to a point. There comes a point though where the benefit cost analysis becomes get upside down. I suppose if you have that much money it is like any other hobby. Go for it.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #19

I'm having front and rear trac bars and summo springs put on this week by the ford dealer. I've had the front spring dip twice, summo should stop that. Had a mini twister hit the passenger front and push us 4' front track will handle that. Side gusts will be handled by all 3. Fleet service guy was very familiar with all 3 and thought they were good choices. Bought them online. RV in shop for a bad dash heater blower - warranty.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #20

Anyone go too far with Chassis mods?

I had a 23 ft Chevy, a 25 ft P30, a 32 ft WH, and now a 42 ft Roadmaster.
I never did anything but alignment and proper tire pressures with a working load, and then adapted to how they each handled without over or under steer. But then, I never had an F-53!
I test-drove all of them in a lot of conditions, so I knew how they handled up-front.
They all have a happy medium that requires getting used to. I always keep my hands at 10 and 2, and never had the wheel ripped from my grasp. Safety is always first, and getting used to the unique dynamics of each coach in all conditions is key. BTW, the RR10S is flawless!
So, go too far with mods? Heck, I never started, but understand that some enjoy their toys, and that striving for the perfect handling is what some wish to persue. To those, I say Bravo and Happy Trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #21

I made the mistake of ordering mine with out driving it first and was appalled at the changeling. I ordered it because I wanted a diesel engine, but I think Winnebago spec one size to small of a freightliner chassis (they also only offered the diesel/freightliner for one year).

I found out that shop in Oregon, Hendersons, has been specializing in RV chassis for decades so I took it to him. Eight thousand dollars later (bigger bars, stabilizers, shocks, bushings, and more) the difference was tremendous. My wife noticed it within two blocks while sitting in the passenger seat.

I have just completed a trip form Ca to AK and back, and can not imagine how horrific that would have been if not for the suspension up grade. We saw many RVs that looked like they were rocking or porpoising by several feet. I could only think that they were oblivious to it or brain dead.

BTW since purchasing it I have spent 26k, mostly with my labor, improving poor design, or fixing design flaws. That does not include assembly errors which were surprisingly minor.

I am positive the people that design RVs rarely maintain or use them and when they do it is only with full hookups. I am told they are designed for full hookups because that is how they are mostly used. But I think they are mostly used that way as most people are not ingenious enough to be able to work around the design flaws.
pokgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:34 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I have spent a total of $1620 for ALL my steering and handling upgrades: Safe Steer, Koni Shocks, Balancers, Steering dampener, Rear TB, CHF and extended links ($45). Of those upgrades I didn't really need: Cenmtramatic balancers, New Koni shocks, or extended links. Those items that improved the ride and handling the most cost me about $700. That didn't break the bank.

TeJay
Old 08-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrimguy View Post
Putting a stiffer one on the front. It's a half inch thicker. I did the CHF already, it helped but I'm like the princess and the pea with suspensions. I'm also a modder by nature. I change everything I have ever owned.

My suspension mods should all be here tomorrow. Window tint this week as well! Hoping to get my new front curtains done this week too, but that will probably still be a couple weeks.
What are you doing for window tint? Haven't done mine yet. I'm also a guy that likes to modify, tweak, personalize and tinker with my rides.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #24

I got the rear stuff put on yesterday and it's a world of difference. My stuff stays put in the rv, the vehicle is more enjoyable to drive and it feels much safer already. I can't wait to get the front hooked up today! The 5star tune is a HUGE improvement for the shift points. Ford needs to give them a call and start putting that in stock.

I'll have just over $3000 in chassis stuff so far. It's worth every penny to me. I got the coach for $65k, said and done i'll maybe be at $70k for a brand new coach that rides like a $300k DP (maybe not but close enough for me)
Old 08-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
What are you doing for window tint? Haven't done mine yet. I'm also a guy that likes to modify, tweak, personalize and tinker with my rides.
My guy sells Llumar and I went with the ceramic tint that supposedly reduces heat by 53% It's a decided difference in how cool the coach is after installation. I spend a lot of time without shade and in 100 degree weather so it was a no brainer for me. I can leave my MCD's up on my side windows even with sun coming in. Before it was like having a space heater on with them up. He even did a 80% on the windshield that blocks the same amount of heat and all the UV.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrimguy View Post
My guy sells Llumar and I went with the ceramic tint that supposedly reduces heat by 53% It's a decided difference in how cool the coach is after installation. I spend a lot of time without shade and in 100 degree weather so it was a no brainer for me. I can leave my MCD's up on my side windows even with sun coming in. Before it was like having a space heater on with them up. He even did a 80% on the windshield that blocks the same amount of heat and all the UV.
Thanks much! I'll be doing that also and will try to track down someone who installs Llumar. I've been caught in 113 F before and it's not fun!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Thanks much! I'll be doing that also and will try to track down someone who installs Llumar. I've been caught in 113 F before and it's not fun!
Llumar, 3m and I'm sure some others are about equally as good. Just make sure you are getting "ceramic" tint. That's the heat blocking stuff.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #28

I just returned from a 1000 mile journey with my new mods installed.

The 5 star tune is a must. IT is a HUGE improvement to shift points, allowed me to actually have some use of cruise control, and it kept the engine running about 200 rpm lower on average making for more enjoyable cruising.

The anti sway bars are also a HUGE improvement. Wow. totally different experience.

The Track bars... I don't know if they are doing much or not. It turned out that my motorhome came with a nice beefy panard bar on the front anyhow so that one is going back. The rear was installed, and I'm sure some of the control I feel and am attributing to the anti roll probably is coming from this as well.

Koni FSD shocks. Not really sure if there is improvement or not. I may uninstall and put my bilsteins on just to isolate them and see what if any improvement I feel or lose.

The Saf T Plus is an improvement, but not the game changer I expected. I guess it's mostly a safety belt for front tire blowouts. I expected the steering to be tighter and to feel a lot less wind from passing semis. I can still clearly feel the semis but it's a significant improvement over before the install so I still feel it's worth the money I invested.

I have looked into airtabs based on a comment on this thread and I'm going to order those today. My uncle runs a trucking company and had good things to say about them and the cost is low seeing as I don't have to do much painting of them.

Tags
chassis