Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Anyone go too far with Chassis mods?

So, I have been out on a few trips in my new 2015 Winnie Brave 26a. I have had a hard time adjusting to the feeling of getting blown off the road when a truck passes or even a car if it passes me fast enough.

I think I went too far, but it's a toy so who cares.

I have on order:
  • New front and rear track bars
  • Replacement sway bar for the front and an additional sway bar for the rear
  • Safe-T-Plus steering control unit
  • New Koni FSD shocks all around to replace the factory bilsteins
  • 5 star tuning!

I expect a pretty significant ride improvement and a lot of peace of mind with the additional safety!

Anyone else go crazy modifying the chassis on their RV?
Thatgrimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #2

Not me, I have done nothing and driving my coach is a pleasure. Mine came with all the sway bars and I see no reason to change them. Just make sure your air pressure is correct and that will help with a lot of things. The 5 Star is not in my in box at any time soon either.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone go to far with Chassis mods?

Sure have, hence my forum name, LOL!

The worst mod I did was installing a performance muffler. Too loud and obnoxious. By the time I paid to install it, have it removed and re-install the OE muffler, I was out about $1200.

Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #4

I have been bit by the bug hard. I'm having a lot of fun looking for mods and upgrades.

I added insulation to the cabinets today. Putting up a new front curtain in a week or so.

My wife and I are really making it ours. Just like when I got my first car.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Yes, you aren't the only one. Some people even stick air tabs all over the back of the rig and that fixes the problem immediately.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I started off making chassis mods to the front of my P32 for the same reason. I wish I would have started on rear end first as I don't think I needed the new bell cranks but oh well.
The Sumo Springs for the rear really made a noticeable improvement to handling during windy days and semi truck passing. Love my Sumo's
Old 08-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrimguy View Post
So, I have been out on a few trips in my new 2015 Winnie Brave 26a. I have had a hard time adjusting to the feeling of getting blown off the road when a truck passes or even a car if it passes me fast enough.

I have on order:
  • 5 star tuning!

I expect a pretty significant ride improvement and a lot of peace of mind with the additional safety!

You should have a factory front track bar on your motorhome.

Also look into the chf instead of changing the sway bars.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #8

I've done CHF, Koni shocks, Tru-center steering, and rear track bar, and new bushings on leaf springs. Drives true and steady, but I can't get rid of the banging/rattling of front suspension on non smooth roads. I just got back from a trip to Niagara Falls from Chicago and I even get a squeak which developed 200 miles from home. Any advice how to make the front end quiet?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
dempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post
You should have a factory front track bar on your motorhome.

Also look into the chf instead of changing the sway bars.
Putting a stiffer one on the front. It's a half inch thicker. I did the CHF already, it helped but I'm like the princess and the pea with suspensions. I'm also a modder by nature. I change everything I have ever owned.

My suspension mods should all be here tomorrow. Window tint this week as well! Hoping to get my new front curtains done this week too, but that will probably still be a couple weeks.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Yes, you aren't the only one. Some people even stick air tabs all over the back of the rig and that fixes the problem immediately.
Hmm. Those air tabs are pretty interesting. I could see going that route at some point. I kind of like the look.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

I have on order:
  • 5 star tuning!

Excellent choice on modifications! Can't tell you how many of our customers over the years have added track bars, sway bar and the Safe-T-Plus and have all come back to comment on how much better their vehicle drives!
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:36 AM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Putting a stiffer one on the front. It's a half inch thicker. I did the CHF already, it helped but I'm like the princess and the pea with suspensions. I'm also a modder by nature. I change everything I have ever owned.
In that case, you should also put on front and rear air bags with a built in compressor.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:56 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post
In that case, you should also put on front and rear air bags with a built in compressor.
...or just trade up to a DP
Old 08-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey guys I've done most of the changes as well but two words of caution which probably no real gadget man will listen to. Make your changes one at a time so you recognize which change did the most good.

You (the OP) are driving a 26A and poster #2 is driving a 33C. Your coach is 28' long, 16,000 GVWR, WB of 158", 1 roof AC, and 19.5" tires. His coach is 34+ feet long, GVRW 22,000 lbs, 220" wheel base 2-roof AC's and 22.5" tires. He's happy with the ride and has done nothing to his rig. They are different in many, many respects.

The biggest difference is the weight and the tire sizes. The 22.5" tire combined with the extra length and weight will potentially (if the tire pressures are good) give that coach a better ride. It will be less effected by winds and approaching semi's. Hence poster #2 feels no need to make any changes.

It simply amazes me that many, posters still try to compare apples and oranges. Lets look at it another way. Most of us are old enough to remember the older cars we drove. Nobody would ever compare the ride quality of a Chevy Nova or Vega to a Cadillac. There is no comparison. They are different. Most of us have often used the phrase, "Man that thing rides like a, "Cadillac", for a reason. The word Cadillac and the phrase, "A good ride" have become synonymous.

It's somewhat simple. If you are seeking information and get a response make sure the poster is driving a coach close to the same as yours. Or don't jump at the chance to spend $$$$$$ doing something that another poster did if his/her unit is not close to the same as yours.

The CHF has probably made the biggest difference to more coaches than almost any other suspension MOD (and it's CHEAP). Yet some have reported little to no change, or in a few cases a slightly harsher ride, while 95% plus have reported dramatic improvements. Again it can be attributed to the various differences between coaches. JMHO

TeJay

Tags
chassis