Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #57
IC2

Driving - love it. But with that said, it isn't as much fun these days with a growing population of people who feel that they are the reincarnation of some famous race car driver but, unfortunately, without the skill sets. As far as towing - we travel at about the speed limit which in our area is 65. Out West where 80 is the limit, well, let's say that 65-68 is still OK. Our daily goal is whatever miles it takes to get to our destination, but try make it no more then 300-350 miles. Less is fine, more, not quite as good. Without a 5er hooked on - the 'sky is the limit' ( I try not to drive too much after dark now)

I have always had some sort of performance vehicle, often home built starting with a '53 Ford with a '57 Ford 300Hp blower motor and today with a '31 Ford roadster with a 5.0 HiPo plus a few (lot!)more mods.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:30 AM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
So many of the previous posts seem to imply that “likes to drive” means “likes to drive fast.” That’s just not true for us. Husband can drive all day and half the night and enjoy the day. My preferred limit is about 8 hours, but I can do more as long as it isn’t day after day. We like seeing the country we travel through, but we drive the trailer at 65 or so. I might speed it up in an urban area to maintain traffic flow though. The funny thing is that while Kevin loves to drive, he hates to drive in cities. We usually stop just before the first suburbs in any urban area, and I climb in the driver’s seat. I always have been the better urban driver, and traffic jams just don’t bother me while he gets stressed. I just “zen” and deal.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailbass View Post
I've read so many posts saying ' I'm in no hurry so I drive 58 MPH' and such it makes me wonder if anybody actually likes 'driving' their rv or just get someplace and sit for a while? I just acquired a 2005 Airstream 26 foot with the chevy 8.1 engine and it's perfectly happy at 75+. I plan to get Toyo tires next year that have an 'N' speed rating of 87 mph so I can see what she'll really do. I love skilled performance driving and it takes the attention at 75 with an rv that you wouldn't need till 110 in a good car, for example. Fun!
my 8.1 actually gets better milage over 70, overdrive doesnt kick in until almost 75
pgwaldner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #60

I like to drive... or ride. Life is good on this side of the dirt.

RV driving, for me now, is all about the journey. Being empty nesters, we have no intention of staying more than one night at any campground or rest-stop.

Just did a cross-country trip and never exceeded 55 mph. Everything was perfect.

Some of the many fun benefits of driving an RV slow are: relaxing, seeing more, spending less on gas, more time for conversations and other traffic can easily pass by without having that awkward side-by-side who is going to lead or follow bs.

My method was good for my situation and would probably not work for the masses. It’s good to be in control of my time and schedule traveling my own way.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:38 AM   #61

I jad a 2004 F53 up until last week, I loved driving it. Sometimes I would have a few minutes of not liking it when I would hsve to cross 4 lanes for a left hand exit.

Now have a workhorse UFO which is much nicer to drive.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwaldner View Post
my 8.1 actually gets better milage over 70, overdrive doesnt kick in until almost 75

I am amazed when people believe they can defy the law of physics and moving air resistance! Any speed over 50 MPH and air resistance will become an increasingly huge factor in MPG.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:52 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFoodGuy View Post
X2........Check the speed rating on your tires, It might scare you.
L rated XRV on now, but I'm switching to toyo next year they are N rated (87 mph)
vailbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #64
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

I am amazed when people believe they can defy the law of physics and moving air resistance! Any speed over 50 MPH and air resistance will become an increasingly huge factor.
lol exactly what I was thinking.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #65
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
So many of the previous posts seem to imply that “likes to drive” means “likes to drive fast.” That’s just not true for us. Husband can drive all day and half the night and enjoy the day. My preferred limit is about 8 hours, but I can do more as long as it isn’t day after day. We like seeing the country we travel through, but we drive the trailer at 65 or so. I might speed it up in an urban area to maintain traffic flow though. The funny thing is that while Kevin loves to drive, he hates to drive in cities. We usually stop just before the first suburbs in any urban area, and I climb in the driver’s seat. I always have been the better urban driver, and traffic jams just don’t bother me while he gets stressed. I just “zen” and deal.
The op implied that so we are responding based on that. I do think most of us are on the same page though because if we didn't enjoy driving we wouldn't have kept this lifestyle/hobby.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #66

......its not about how fast you can drive....its about how fast you can stop! Drive carefully grasshopper.......I have to share the road with you....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
I love driving. Our Class A; our Class C; our toad - a Jeep GC Overland; my pickup; my diesel sidebyside; my touring motorcycle; any of the other 1/2 dozen motorcycles. I do not equate driving with driving fast. It's an unusual event for me to pass another RV on the highway ... my better half is happiest if I keep the speed at 60mph. Doesn't impact of tooling out 65 feet of rv and toad down the road ... I know I can move it faster if I really needed to ... but I actually enjoy passing fuel stops. We're not up to full time yet but all our trips are in the 5-8,000 mile range multiple times a year (both retired). Not interested in burning up the asphalt ... interested in the journey.

Sent from my SM-N910V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #68

Quote:
Now that right thar is some funny stuff.

Or wait, are you talking kilometers per hour? Or maybe, the 8.1 is stuffed into a Corvette's chassis sporting a 2/1 axle ratio?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you really believe this. I'm thinking either your speedo is off, your transmission shift points are out of whack, and/or your calculations are off.

I'm always amazed when i see people come on here and commence to bragging about being great drivers speeding around in their more than capable RV. I'm sure these people think their expertise makes them invulnerable and that it can't happen to them. Yeah, some are lucky and get by doing it. But there's also a good chance that routinely driving a motorhome 75 or more miles per hour will cost a person down the road.

As far as liking to drive, meh,,, I can take it or leave it. I do take driving seriously and perhaps that's one of the reasons I don't get all that excited about it.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #69

Its a motorhome not a Ferrari!

Sorry to poop in your Easter basket, OP but the type of driving you are trying to do belongs on a closed course, controlled environment. Not our public highways.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #70

Quote:
Others are more polite; I just call BULLSNOT!

Have driven millions of miles, now it is sometimes fun, but most times I prefer the dumb side, if I have faith in driver.
As for motorcycles, if on the street, I would prefer to ride a real slow bike as fast as I can, compared to a fast bike slow enough to be safe...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote