Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone run into this one?

Newbie here but I've been reading the forums a lot to help us buy our new camper. Picked up a '08 Winn View last week in Tucson. LONG story short, it had an engine light on, first dealer thought it was a turbo air leak, sent us to Tucson Dodge. They replace a number of engine sensors, called it good and sent us on our way. Bought it the next day, celebrated at dinner, and headed to Phoenix only to discover we had no headlights. Seller swears the lights worked fine before it got worked on. What happens: turn switch on and headlights flash 10-11 times and go out. Key on or off, engine running or not, same thing every time. So we drive to Phx with the fog lights on (don't tell on us), Airway Dodge has it the next day for 10 hours and sez we need a computer module ($850) and it'll take two weeks to get the part. So we drive back to Oregon in three days avoiding the dark hours. Questions:
1. Did the first dealer screw it up? Does the second dealer know what they're talking about? (They said it took half a day to get the wiring diagram - took me 5 minutes on-line)
2. Is this just a reprogramming issue or is the computer blown? If its blown why did everything else work fine?
3. Is it possible to drive to Alaska, Canada, and all over the US with fog lights? Just kidding...
Anyway, looking for help before going to another dealer. Not too worried about cost since it should be under warranty (none of the above stops cost anything), just want to be sure its done right.
Thanks so much, Jasperisourdog

JaspersView is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, first of all...welcome to the forum. Then, congrats on the new moho...I think. Sorry to hear of your aggravation with the Winnie. I hope you get all the kinks ironed out and I'm glad you've got that warranty!

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi JaspersView,
Welcome to iRV2. Only those with the correct diagnostic tools will be able to tell you what is wrong. If you get a second opinion and the answer is the same, make sure you follow the instructions to file a claim with the service contract company.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
I cannot imagine an $850 dollar computer controlls the headlights, make that I won't believe it does. Headlight, wires, hot fused line, ground, headlight switch. in that order. If it took someone half a day to get wiring diagram, I would assume they didn't have a clue why the headlites didnt work.

Don and nancy
2011 Allegro RED
2012 Equiniox
2007 Yorkie
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Remeber your dealing with a MERCEDES-Benz product
DaveyD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by DaveyD1 View Post
Remeber your dealing with a MERCEDES-Benz product
And a new product at that. It is not even unlikely that the entire dash feeds into a multiplexed serial bus which in turn connects to the body computer, which sends it's signals out (on the same multiplexed serial data bus) to the relay box which actually powers the lights.

That's how modern cars work. Heck, my old wrangler, the gauges connect to the engine computer with a phone cord.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did the first dealer screw up?

Good question and i can not answer it. IT is possible that the original problem was the faulty computer and the reset they did when they replaced the sensors cleared it up for a short time.. It is also possible that the computer issue popped up AFTER the initial repair.

Another possibility is a bad ground.. It may have caused the initial issue, and subsequently toasted your "Brain".

Yet another posibility is a bad ground masquarading as a toasted brain.

Yet another story: Years ago my daughter had a car which had two (Well 3) issues (We never fixed #3) First there was a recall, So I had to take it to a "that brand" Dealer, since it was a GM product I normally took it to a Chevy dealer I had a good relationship with (I drove a chevy). It had an ABS issue too, I ask them to take a look at it and they said "New computer" and some number in the thousands and refused to do it since they were not my "Regular" mechanic on that ride.

I took it to the chevy dealer, he did take a look at it, for about 2 seconds, spotted the problem (broken wire) and fixed it. Reasonable price.

NOTE: that when looked at the symptoms they screamed "SENSOR" to me, When I described them to assorted others who know more than I do about ABS braking they all said SENSOR, the wire.... Was the sensor lead. Sensor was damaged as well (The wire was snagged an pulled out cracking the sensor case) but still, way less than "Thousands" .

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote