Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #1

Anyone Towing a 2019 Ford Explorer?

Last month we were travelling west on 1-4, about 60 miles east of Tampa, FL. As always, I-4 was packed, but we were plugging along in the slow lane at 50-55 mph. All of a sudden, my wife and I hear an explosion, the motor home lurches and I see our tow car swing into the middle lane. Someone had hit us from the rear. By the grace of God, no one was injured. However, our tow car, a 2010 Ford Edge didn't survive. So, the search for a new tow car began. We decided to buy a new car so we could use it as a family car, as well as our toad. Surprise, Surprise, Ford doesn't make a 2020 car or SUV that is flat towable. In fact, we couldn't find any 2020 car or SUV that could be towed flat. However, we continued looking for options, and we may have found a solution - but we would love to have confirmation from real live users. It seems that 2019 FWD (front wheel drive) Ford Explorers, with a 3.5 engine, can be towed with 4 wheels on the ground. Is anyone out there using a 2019 Ford Explorer as their tow car?
Goin2TheDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
First of all, I've never heard of a FWD vehicle that is towable 4 down so I'd definitely check into the info you've received. Looking at pages 252-255 of the 2019 Explorers users manual, it seems you will need the 3.5l engine to flat tow. Amazingly, it says nothing about FWD vehicles so you might be good. One hassle is that you have to disconnect the negative battery cable.

I did however purchase a 2019 Ford Expedition with full 4WD (not 2WD or AWD). That is flat towable as I went through the user's manual and even put the transfer case in neutral before I took delivery. The process is not quite as simple as my Jeep Grand Cherokee, but the Expedition (I got the Max version) seats 8 people. The entire disconnect process is done in the driver's seat with no battery disconnect.

The 2019 Expedition has the 10 speed transmission and get 20 MPG so it may be a viable option to the smaller Explorer.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

We have been towing a 2019 Ford Explorer Sport with a 3.5 engine

we have towed it since August 2019 for about 3,000 miles so far.

You will have to install a 12V battery disconnect switch on the Neg post

or just remove the battery cable off the Negative.

Procedure form the owners manual with push button start:

1.With car running, I hook up car,

2. Shift to neutral and push start button to shut off.

3. Disconnect Negative battery side ( I have a switch installed)

4. You are ready to go.

Keep in mind: lights, break lights, turn signals, etc have been wired
In my case I have installed a 12v kit under dash for my RVI brake

It is pretty simple to tow a 2019 Ford Explorer Sport
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #4

I also tow a 2019 Explorer, a 2WD Limited with the 3.5 six cylinder engine, several thousand miles so far. It goes just as Joe said above; no sweat. I had a shut off switch for the battery installed in the dash.

From what I understand only the 6 cylinder can be flat towed, ixnay on the 4; evidently they use different transmissions.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with that question but noticed you are kinda new on the forum and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:18 AM   #6

When you disconnect your negative battery cable do you lose your radio presets and time every time? How do you also power your RVI brake system?
TTBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
We have been towing a 2019 Ford Explorer Sport with a 3.5 engine

we have towed it since August 2019 for about 3,000 miles so far.

You will have to install a 12V battery disconnect switch on the Neg post

or just remove the battery cable off the Negative.

Procedure form the owners manual with push button start:

1.With car running, I hook up car,

2. Shift to neutral and push start button to shut off.

3. Disconnect Negative battery side ( I have a switch installed)

4. You are ready to go.

Keep in mind: lights, break lights, turn signals, etc have been wired
In my case I have installed a 12v kit under dash for my RVI brake

It is pretty simple to tow a 2019 Ford Explorer Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
I also tow a 2019 Explorer, a 2WD Limited with the 3.5 six cylinder engine, several thousand miles so far. It goes just as Joe said above; no sweat. I had a shut off switch for the battery installed in the dash.

From what I understand only the 6 cylinder can be flat towed, ixnay on the 4; evidently they use different transmissions.

When you disconnect your negative battery cable do you lose your radio presets and time every time? How do you also power your RVI brake system?
TTBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:44 AM   #8

We have been towing Chevrolet Equinox FWD since 2012, first a 2012 now a 2019 with no trouble. Easy set up and hook up.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #9

I'll jump in here at the risk of getting flamed. I tow an Explorer and have for over 10,000 miles with NO issues. And I know what the Ford manual says about disconnecting the battery etc. However, I do it differently. Having a mechanical background I fully understand that my way will not hurt anything. If you don't agree with me (as was the "other" forum I posted this on) , simply don't do it this way.
With that said. All you have to do is in front of the floor shifter inside the little storage compartment is a little trap door in the upper left corner of the cubby. Use your fingernail and move the latch and lift the trap door up. Reach inside and you'll feel a button in front of the shift mechanism, hook your nail on the button and pull out, while it's pulled out you can shift the car into neutral without using the key or button. It's designed to release the park mechanism in case it has to be towed with a dead battery etc. I added diodes to the rear lights as no kit is available for the Explorers. Doing it this way requires no charge line or disconnecting the battery. Simply start and run the Explorer every 6 hours per the manual to re-fill the tail housing sump in the trans for lubrication. As I stated, towed over 10K miles this way without any issue and never a dead battery or a charge line. I do use a brake buddy too, again never any dead battery even after towing all day.
Good Luck !
Old 12-03-2019, 05:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBarlow View Post
I do not loose the radio presets, however when it is Daylight Savings Time,
the clock defaults back to Eastern Standard time.

I mounted a fused 12V kit under the drivers seat at the floor and plug the
RV1 brake into it. I did not run a 12V charge line. So far I have not had any
problems.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
I'll jump in here at the risk of getting flamed. I tow an Explorer and have for over 10,000 miles with NO issues. And I know what the Ford manual says about disconnecting the battery etc. However, I do it differently. Having a mechanical background I fully understand that my way will not hurt anything. If you don't agree with me (as was the "other" forum I posted this on) , simply don't do it this way.
With that said. All you have to do is in front of the floor shifter inside the little storage compartment is a little trap door in the upper left corner of the cubby. Use your fingernail and move the latch and lift the trap door up. Reach inside and you'll feel a button in front of the shift mechanism, hook your nail on the button and pull out, while it's pulled out you can shift the car into neutral without using the key or button. It's designed to release the park mechanism in case it has to be towed with a dead battery etc. I added diodes to the rear lights as no kit is available for the Explorers. Doing it this way requires no charge line or disconnecting the battery. Simply start and run the Explorer every 6 hours per the manual to re-fill the tail housing sump in the trans for lubrication. As I stated, towed over 10K miles this way without any issue and never a dead battery or a charge line. I do use a brake buddy too, again never any dead battery even after towing all day.
Good Luck !
You are exactly right sir, I wish I had know about that before I added the
battery disconnect switch. It is the secret door with the secret button LOL.
I could not find anything about that in the owners manual LOL.
I bet not too many people know about it either.
Thanks for the tip, every owner should know about it in case you ever have to be towed. Great find.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2TheDogs View Post
Surprise, Surprise, Ford doesn't make a 2020 car or SUV that is flat towable. In fact, we couldn't find any 2020 car or SUV that could be towed flat. However, we continued looking for options, and we may have found a solution - but we would love to have confirmation from real live users. It seems that 2019 FWD (front wheel drive) Ford Explorers, with a 3.5 engine, can be towed with 4 wheels on the ground. Is anyone out there using a 2019 Ford Explorer as their tow car?
Have you see this guide? https://webcontent.goodsam.com/motor...inghyGuide.pdf

The 2020 version is not yet availalble, though.

Ray
Old 12-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
First of all, I've never heard of a FWD vehicle that is towable 4 down so I'd definitely check into the info you've received. Looking at pages 252-255 of the 2019 Explorers users manual, it seems you will need the 3.5l engine to flat tow. Amazingly, it says nothing about FWD vehicles so you might be good. One hassle is that you have to disconnect the negative battery cable.

I did however purchase a 2019 Ford Expedition with full 4WD (not 2WD or AWD). That is flat towable as I went through the user's manual and even put the transfer case in neutral before I took delivery. The process is not quite as simple as my Jeep Grand Cherokee, but the Expedition (I got the Max version) seats 8 people. The entire disconnect process is done in the driver's seat with no battery disconnect.

The 2019 Expedition has the 10 speed transmission and get 20 MPG so it may be a viable option to the smaller Explorer.

not following your fwd four down towable remark. there are many vehicles that are front wheel drive that are four down towable
our edge is one .

the 2020 explorer may not be four down.
but the 2019 is as its a whole different under carriage drive train from 2019
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing