Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 04:49 AM   #1

Anyone use a wireless rear camera

I am thinking of getting this as it is less expensive than most. It really is not permanent.

Any other ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 05:05 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think the wired systems are more reliable. What RV is this for? You have a Winnie Vista LX in your profile, but recently mentioned buying a Gulfstream Conquest. Don't they both have camera systems from the factory?

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I would like a rear camera that records video like a dashcam, which RV manufacturers do not provide in any I have looked into. But there are problems installing an after-market unit. Finding a good safe place to install it. Making sure it does not fall off. Protection from the weather, especially rain. Wiring it to the house batteries as camera batteries would not last long. Has anyone tried to tackle this job?

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:08 AM   #4

I am getting a 2006 conquest ultra. No camera. I may get a wired and have it installed professionally. Expensive but seems essential to me.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a wireless in my smaller Class C, it worked pretty good.

I also installed a wireless in my Class A, lower passenger side to work only when I was in reverse backing up to provide a better view of tight spots. It does not get good reception because of the distance. I still have to rely on the rear backup camera up high.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought an inexpensive wireless rear camera from Peak. I had it wired so that it is on whenever I turn the headlights on, which is 99% of the time. I bought it to keep an eye on my toad. It works OK. The only complaints I have are that the picture gets washed out in bright sunlight and the picture is prone to interference from various sources such as traffic counters, similar frequency transmissions, etc. I'm sure that more expensive back up cameras address these shortcomings but for the money, I'm happy with this model.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
I am thinking of getting this as it is less expensive than most. It really is not permanent.
Any other ideas?
olustee bus
I've been using an earlier version of this wireless system in my 35' coach for 8 years, (50k+ miles),
PEAK Auto - Antifreeze & Coolant | PEAKauto.com
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #8

Voyager wireless, 4-camera RV system. I have their 2-camera wireless system and it is very reliable, never failed once since installation in 2013.

I'm considering one of these small Rand McNally Dash Cams.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:15 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got one from Amazon. Made by Pyle and it works very well and I got just the cam to replace the one that failed on my Bounder and it was only $15 but I wired it. The other I got a wireless video adapter for it to put on roadtrek and it works great also
Old 06-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #10

Lots of great help and thanks to all. I should have been more clear I think.

First, I want a camera that is on when the engine is running or at least when I want it to be. It will be on all the time to monitor my toad and to see beyond that.

Second, I want to mount it high in order to see beyond my toad.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #11

I bought the Voyager wireless unit for my TT and it works very well. Occasionally loses the picture for a few seconds but typically pretty much rock solid. I would buy it again without any second thoughts!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
Lots of great help and thanks to all. I should have been more clear I think.
First, I want a camera that is on when the engine is running or at least when I want it to be. It will be on all the time to monitor my toad and to see beyond that.
Second, I want to mount it high in order to see beyond my toad.
olustee bus
No matter which rear view/backup camera system you choose...how, (and when), it can be "turned on"... and where the camera is located on the RV, is determined by the installer/owner at the time of installation.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-27-2016, 10:38 PM   #13

Backup Camera Replacement

Scroll down to post #5 in the link above. This is what I did. Correction on the price, it was about $120. Since the camera creates it's own wifi signal, it transmits further than some other wireless cameras. I have the sending unit mounted inside my rear closet (about 38 feet from my dash) and leave the closet door shut with no signal interference. I mounted the camera above my license plate and tied into a hot line used for a motorcycle lift I no longer have.
Roscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I would like a rear camera that records video like a dashcam, which RV manufacturers do not provide in any I have looked into. But there are problems installing an after-market unit. Finding a good safe place to install it. Making sure it does not fall off. Protection from the weather, especially rain. Wiring it to the house batteries as camera batteries would not last long. Has anyone tried to tackle this job?
I just bought this today. Comes with 2 wireless cameras, can support 4, records rear view realitime.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01B25...BxL&ref=plSrch

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera