Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Anyone want to give an opinion on a new RV Design?

Hi Everyone!

I'm a bit new to the RV community, but I am a student in Pittsburgh, and for my design class we are focusing on new concepts for RVs. We came up with a new design for a Class A RVs and I'd love to get feedback from anyone willing to give. You can access the design survey using this link:
http://nabilshahid.com/rvsurvey/RVStudylogin.html

Thanks and happy RVing!

Sash
shayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi shayman,
Welcome to iRV2. The options mentioned in your survey have no value to me. Consider focusing on:
1. increasing storage
2. increasing living space
3. How about a slide out that goes up! Create a second story (or 1/2 story) somewhere in the coach.
4. how about a slide out the rear of the coach?
5. lighter coaches
6. better fuel mileage
7. what can be done if the entire roof was covered with solar panels

The survey does not allow for comments. This is not good in a survey.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #3

Thanks Gary. This particular survey is focused on pricing, but I appreciate all your comments and I will bring them back to my team. I've definitely heard before that storage is an issue, and I can imagine extra living space is always a plus. Thanks again and feel free to reply with any other comments!

Sash
Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Answered your questions but your pricing is pretty erratic plus GaryKD has more focus on what most RVers may look for.
To many skylights will create leaky roofs without solar panels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #5

Interesting concepts, but nothing I'm interested in. I primarily use my MH as a cabin. Slides seem to me to be maintenance intensive and prone to problems and possible structural weaknesses. The deck concept would interfer with our awning which we do use extensively. A small skylight might be nice but we've got trees that DO lose branches plus where would my two roof air conditioners go in your prototype? I answered no to all features, but was answering while picturing MY RV and how I use it. Spend some real quality time in a RV, spend more time reading HERE, then try to incorporate what people REALLY want in their Motor Homes is my suggestion.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'll agree with 007 about the skylights. Although your survey says the roof is sealed, one of the most prevalent concerns of any RV owner is leaks. Water is the worst enemy of the RV. So, even at $0 cost, I'd be one of those waiting a few years to buy one with skylights. Although I love the idea.
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayman View Post
Thanks Gary. This particular survey is focused on pricing, but I appreciate all your comments and I will bring them back to my team. I've definitely heard before that storage is an issue, and I can imagine extra living space is always a plus. Thanks again and feel free to reply with any other comments!

Sash
Than maybe you should find out what OWNERS want and make a design and cost to the results.

Your idea of a door in a slide out is a non starter. Have you are you team ever seen how far a slide out opens?? Not enought for a door!

Your booth idea would take up alot of current storage space in the bays.

Think your teams needs to think about a survey based on experience of the members. Follow Nuge's recommendation. Go rent a RV and think about your teams ideas while your having fun.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #8

A large roof skylight is of limited use and would more often be a nuisance than a feature.
A door in a slide to get to the bathroom? The regular door to the camper works just fine.
Too much trouble to set up and significant loss of storage with a pop out table, especially when most campgrounds have a picnic table. A simple fold up table works otherwise.

A camper with common features already found but with a superior build quality, name brand components, etc... at a reasonable price would be a winner. Sadly, most businesses don't want to earn a living, they want to be rich.

Just my opinion, though.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try doing a search like this one. There may be an easier way. But I went to advanced search and typed in "Features" to find this thread. There are plenty of them on this forum.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mh-f...light=Features

Dave
Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #10

Thanks again for taking the survey and for all these tips and feedback! I'm taking a lot of notes and will take this back to the drawing board.

Sash
Old 04-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadTrip View Post
A large roof skylight is of limited use and would more often be a nuisance than a feature.
A door in a slide to get to the bathroom? The regular door to the camper works just fine.
Too much trouble to set up and significant loss of storage with a pop out table, especially when most campgrounds have a picnic table. A simple fold up table works otherwise.

A camper with common features already found but with a superior build quality, name brand components, etc... at a reasonable price would be a winner. Sadly, most businesses don't want to earn a living, they want to be rich.

Just my opinion, though.
Couldn't agree more! The skylight sounds good but I can see huge maintenance issues. Most RVers would run from this one b/c of the leak potential. The door in the slide....I'll agree with the earlier post as far as getting enough room in the slide to place a door. Not to mention the that a large part of that interior space provided by a slide would have to be taken up in entry space. Not good. As far as the table slideout - storage lose is the issue AND more to go wrong. Why have a table slide when every site has a picnic table? More to maintain. Just my 2 cents.
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
We boondock alot in the desert while UTV riding - a separate door to a bathroom would be great - no more tromping thru the moho with dirty shoes/boots on - love the idea. Making it feasible, hmmm...not so sure! As an extra cost, no thanks.

Like others have said, storage space is a premium for RV's, if you take away storage space for your additions, no one is going to compromise for that.

Skylight - in my opinion, unnecessary.

The deck - it seems to take up the space that would normally be used for a slideout - I would rather have the slideout for extra interior living space.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I like the idea of a table for use as a food and drink prep area. I have been to campsites where the table was in such poor condition, I wouldn't eat at. I would want it under the awning for those treeless sunny hot sites. Just my two cents worth from the person that does all the cooking.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Trailers already have separate bathroom doors... this could be incorporated rather easily in a Class A, though not in a slide, as said..

I agree with the sky lights, nobody really like them. The new buyers that get a camper/RV with one, usually regret it..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote