Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #15

I'd go for a largish C gasser. You can pull a towed that will be considerably smaller than what you will need to tow a trailer and spend a lot less money than you will need to for a decent A. Average fuel economy will be better any pull behind and tow vehicle as your daily driver. If you fall in love with the lifestyle then re think what you want from a position of knowledge. The truck for a fiver will eat most of your $50K.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #16

I'm leaning towards a diesel pusher, if only I can find the right buy when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm doing my homework now exploring all options. Thank for your input.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #17

Exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. Thanks to you all for sharing. More info welcome if you all think of anything else to add. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A DP is nice but they will cost more to start so you'll have to drop back a few years to find one for $50,000.
When we traded the '02 Dutch Star in it earlier this year was worth $60, 000 as a trade.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had both, will never have another "pull behind" as you term it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
All of the above is true. Love knowing it all can be set up from your seat! Making lunch,eating said lunch,using the head (well not me while driving!) there's just something -I don't know...cozy about it! Anyway after having pulled the 35ft. fiver and now driving a 35ft MH..I feel the same. I too would not go back to a pull behind. It seems the natural progression of things is to work your way up to a MH and that's where you stay. But I do plan to hold on to my Cummins for a bit longer......just in case!!!
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #21

Good point Mr. D. As any vehicle gets older one expects more costs to maintaining. What costs should I be ready for in an older DP? Same question or an older gasser?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #22

We went class C largely because the wife will drive it. We had a class A but she wasn't comfortable behind the wheel. As the saying goes if you are in a front first collision with a class A you will be the first one there!

I don't tow a vehicle but the Ford E450 would have no problem doing so.
We aren't in a position where we can do a lot of traveling yet so we do a lot of local week end camping. Our plan is to rent a car when we go somewhere for a week or so.
Floor plans are the biggest factor. Find what works for you. Decide whats the biggest unit you need and then buy 2 feet bigger!
Old 10-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #23

Thanks Up North. Familiar with the go 2 ft more than you think you want concept. We are avid boaters and been bitten by the two-foot-itiss that hits a lot of boats. You always want at least 2 ft more.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #24

Rexhall Owners Group
We purchased a used gasser (99 Rexhall 33 foot class A) three years ago. Over the three years and more than 15,000 miles the only non routine maintenance has been replacing the coax cable for the antenna and the shower faucet. Did replace all fluids as a precaution since I didn't know when things had last been done - like antifreeze flush. One big expense to watch out for is tires. Put new tires on ours as part of the purchase.

I have replaced coach batteries and made several upgrades to make the RV better meet our desires. I'm sure some things will break in the future, but that is true for anything.

DW has RA, so the choice of a class a was based on ease of entry and movement around the inside. She was a little intimidated in the beginning, but is very comfortable driving it even with a towed. She doesn't do 2 lanes or mountain roads, but she doesn't like those in the car either!

Good luck with your search!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroG View Post
I asked this in the MH general discussion area and have got some good responses all from the point of view of MH.

I'm trying to decide between a Class A, Class C or Pull Behind. We will be buying used for sure. Hoping to spend 50k or less. I love the open layout of the Class A. I see them at all kinds of price points and they look nice but I'm afraid of upkeep expense if I pick the wrong MH to start with. I've bought my share of boats, always used. Had a 50' House boat that was awesome but it was over 10 years old and cost a lot to maintain. Guessing a 10 year old or older MH would be the same. And I'm guessing a pull behind might not have the same upkeep costs, at least not as much but how is travel on the road with a pull behind vs a MH?

I should mention my wife and I are new to RVing, and planning to do some after retirment. Besides some general travel we would like to spend Jan to Aprl in FL. Depending on the RV park we might stay put for a month then move to another park in another part of the state. Knowing this is there an advantage to either a MH or a pull behind. With a pull behind you have your truck there with you for getting around, with a MH I would have to tow a vehicle behind as this is a must in my book.

Any and all advice appreciated. Questions welcome.
Recently sold our Allegro Bus 40QSP and ordered a new Arctic Fox 32A Travel Trailer. We have had both TTs, 5th wheels, and a MH. We are full timing and did like the AB and tow car. The transitions back to a TT was to make life simpler. We bought new because we wanted 50 amp service and two A/Cs and could not find a TT with 50 Amp Service. We stay in South Texas and it gets hot in the summer and the better built 4 season Arctic Fox appeals to me. Yes, you are right, it does cost to own a MH. There are a lot of moving parts. For me, the TT mode is much simpler to manage and I'm getting older???
Old 10-30-2015, 05:40 AM   #26

You are not the first person I have heard of doing that. It seems there is a cadre of folks who settle on a summer spot and a winter spot to commute between with a camper at each end or just moving twice a year. Among other issues that is considerably cheaper than running a large motor home.

If one does not need to move the house a van or half ton p/u becomes a reasonable commute vehicle for the stuff that has to move while both sites have most of the housekeeping left in place.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I started with a pop up, moved to travel trailer, then to Class A diesel, it really depends on your budget. You can buy a decent travel trailer for $10-$20k if you already have a vehicle to pull it. Will not have the conveniences in a travel trailer that you will in a 5th or Class A. If your budget allows a Class A diesel, I would definitely go that route. I would encourage to have a mechanical on the transmission and engine at a Mfg facility, maintenance is more on the Class A no question, but the trade offs for me clearly outweighed the expense. Good luck on your decision.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Over 35 ft a one ton would be the choice. Yes, its cheaper to maintain just a tow vehicle. You have to ask yourself if you want to use a one ton Diesel pickup as daily dri er while in Florida. Also, you won't get too much of a truck and 5ver for $50k. If you already have the truck, it could make your decision easier but a good inexpensive class a Gasser pulli g a car you already have could be the best answer. If your car is not towable 4 down, there is always the dolly option.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote