Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #1

Advantages of different options

I'm going a little crazy deciding on one type coach, such as a Class A, then wondering if maybe a Class C would be better for a first time RV'r, then I wonder if a pull behind would be the best option of all. I think further about a winter trip to FL and jumping to a few RV parks .. maybe moving once a month and wonder which would be best for this type of RV'ing, a Class A, a Class C or a pull behind.

All have their advantages. A pull behind would mean the truck is with us for running around. Or I have to get a Class A that can tow a vehicle behind, and have to deal with those hassles. Not sure if towing a vehicle is a good idea for a Class C RV.

Please share your experiences and what you feel is best for you. I hope your experience will help me make the right decision for my wife and I.
ZeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We towed a '95 Honda Odyssey on a dolly behind our '97 Type C MH with no troubles although going up a 10% grade was slow at 25 mph, but the friends Type A MH behind us was going slightly slower.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moving every month stay mobile with a class C or class A, towing a small toad. My advice on these of course is to buy used.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The deciding factor should be the floor plan that works best for you. Visit various RV lots or shows and imagine life in the different layouts. We started with a 32' Class C because we lucked into a fabulous, gently used one. Soon realized that a Class A would work better for us because it is more open--the front seats are part of the living space. Sold the Class C to a neighbor who wanted to get into RVing and bought a gently used 34' Class A. No regrets.

BTW, there is a reason folks say "buy your third coach first!"
Old 10-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #5

Thanks all. We will be buying used for sure. Hoping to spend 50k or less. I love the open layout of the Class A. I see them at all kinds of price points and they look nice but I'm afraid of upkeep expense if I pick the wrong MH to start with. I've bought my share of boats, always used. Had a 50' House boat that was awesome but it was over 10 years old and cost a lot to maintain. Guessing a 10 year old or older MH would be the same. And I'm guessing a pull behind might not have the same upkeep costs, at least not as much but how is travel on the road with a pull behind vs a MH? Guessing some here have had both, or maybe I need to ask in the pull behind section of this forum also.

The buy your third MH first saying made me smile. Reminds me of 2-foot-Itiss with boats. You always want to go a few feet bigger.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #6

Anyone with experience with MH and pull behinds?

I'm trying to decide between a Class A, Class C or Pull Behind. We will be buying used for sure. Hoping to spend 50k or less. I love the open layout of the Class A. I see them at all kinds of price points and they look nice but I'm afraid of upkeep expense if I pick the wrong MH to start with. I've bought my share of boats, always used. Had a 50' House boat that was awesome but it was over 10 years old and cost a lot to maintain. Guessing a 10 year old or older MH would be the same. And I'm guessing a pull behind might not have the same upkeep costs, at least not as much but how is travel on the road with a pull behind vs a MH?

I should mention my wife and I are new to RVing, and planning to do some after retirment. Besides some general travel we would like to spend Jan to Aprl in FL. Depending on the RV park we might stay put for a month then move to another park in another part of the state. Knowing this is there an advantage to either a MH or a pull behind. With a pull behind you have your truck there with you for getting around, with a MH I would have to tow a vehicle behind as this is a must in my book.

Any and all advice appreciated. Questions welcome.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I will try to keep this short.
You can't back up a MH with a towed behind it.
A truck with a TT will get better MPG than a MH and towed.
With a MH and towed, there are 2 complete drivetrains to maintain.
Many people prefer a 5th wheel over a bumper pull TT.
Cost of a good used MH >30ft is more than a TT.
It all boils down to your desires and wallet.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #8

I most likely would go 5th wheel if we go pull behind. Understand both MH and pull behind requires maintenance of a drive train.

Guessing a 3/4 ton truck is the minimum for towing a 35 ft or bigger 5th wheel, right?
Old 10-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
My Mom flattened their tow behind with an equalizer hitch.

The car and they were ok.

I drove my FIL's Class C 2000 miles towing with no problem and rented Class C rigs.

A 7 year old DP was my decision 13 years ago. No regrets.

YMMV
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're going 5th, you might request this be moved to the 5th wheel section.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #11

You are correct. We towed our 32ft 5th wheel with a dually long bed dodge. Loved the stability, stopping ability, trucks and wind didn't push us around etc. if you are sitting for a month or so then you will enjoy the 5th wheel. We traded up to a diesel pusher for several reasons and we do like it. However after 2 years and looking back we might just have kept our other setup and been just as happy.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #12

Yes you need at least that much truck. We towed a 32ft with a dodge dually. Wouldn't have used anything less
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're looking at 35ft+ 5th, then a 1 ton dually would be the way to go due to the pin weight in the bed and the weight of the trailer.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on things like how often will you be moving it. A Trailer does not mind sitting months on end, Motor homes like to be driven.

As someone said if you are pulling a car behind a motor home either 4 down or 2 down (Dolly) you can not back up.. Towing on a trailer you can, but then you have a lot more to tow and stow when you park.. I have only once needed to back up and I simply dropped the towed, backed it, then backed the MH no problem. (10 years)

Short trips.. It's entierly up to you.

Long trips in bad weather (Trust me they are going to happen) The ability to pull into a rest area, parking lot or off on a wide shoulder, and hike back to the "little room" and take care of business when it's raining cats and dogs out without getting soaked....... Priceless.

Plus The cockpit is double duty on most Motor homes. Seats turn around to face living space.

Another factor: Towing I get about 8MPG.. So does the guy with the big truck towing a 5er of about the same size as my Class A.

Driving to the store to buy milk, I git over 25mpg.. he gets 16.