Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #1

I understand that some of you do not use AOL and this will not impact you.. but some of you do use it and should be aware of just how crooked and non-trustworthy AOL really is..

I found out how bad they were when I signed up for their service back in 1988 and had to get my credit card company to get my money back from AOL after I had tried for several months to stop their service ,

AOL flat refused to stop my service and I finally had to completely erase my hard drive and reformat it to get rid of the AOL hidden contents that was on my computer..

For those of you who might be considering signing up with AOL .. be aware that when AOL is installed on your computer...it takes over the computer and will not let you control it like you want to.. it controls the computer like it wants to..

AOL is the worst thing on the internet system today and should be put out of business..

Please read this news from USA TODAY newspaper..

John
USA says AOL cheats customers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #2

I understand that some of you do not use AOL and this will not impact you.. but some of you do use it and should be aware of just how crooked and non-trustworthy AOL really is..

I found out how bad they were when I signed up for their service back in 1988 and had to get my credit card company to get my money back from AOL after I had tried for several months to stop their service ,

AOL flat refused to stop my service and I finally had to completely erase my hard drive and reformat it to get rid of the AOL hidden contents that was on my computer..

For those of you who might be considering signing up with AOL .. be aware that when AOL is installed on your computer...it takes over the computer and will not let you control it like you want to.. it controls the computer like it wants to..

AOL is the worst thing on the internet system today and should be put out of business..

Please read this news from USA TODAY newspaper..

John
USA says AOL cheats customers.

Old 12-03-2005, 04:03 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For those of you who might be considering signing up with AOL .. be aware that when AOL is installed on your computer...it takes over the computer and will not let you control it like you want to.. it controls the computer like it wants to.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.....I "got out" around AOL version 3 or so....what version are they up to now...32??
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:09 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Harrelson:
For those of you who might be considering signing up with AOL .. be aware that when AOL is installed on your computer...it takes over the computer and will not let you control it like you want to.. it controls the computer like it wants to.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Short of reformatting your hard drive I would have suggested the use of a "spyware" application. 2 such apps would be "ADWare" or "Spybot" and if used directly after the uninstall of any web-based application I think you could have saved the time and effort from rebuilding your hard drive.

Spybot removed all the unwanted web based content from my hard drive and I don't see any browser based applications that in the past haunted me repetitively. The major concern here was that the unwanted applications did not have any uninstall features so I couldn't get rid of them. "Spybot" saved the day!

Get your own version of Spybot <span class="ev_code_RED">FREE</span> on "cnet.com"
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Harrelson:
".....just how crooked and non-trustworthy AOL really is.." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used AOL since 1996 and am very satisfied with the service they give.

John, if AOL wins the lawsuit that's filed against them and they are adjudicated of any of the wrong doing they're accused of, do you think your comments made above in your post could be then considered as libelous?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
ya know, some folks would complain if they were hung with a new rope. I personally like AOL and kept it even when the local phone company (alltel) offered DSL internet. Alltel is my provider but I still use the AOL most of the time. The old dial up AOL was a pain sometimes, but better than anything else offered inmy area.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #7

I hate AOL. I tried them back in 98. I did not care for their service. It took me three months to get rid of them. It took over 30 hours of my time and many phone calls and letters.

Then in 03 my Daughter with out my knowldge opened an aol account. She was 15, and did it in my name. I figured it out when it appeared on my phone bill. AOL would not let me close the account because I did not have the screen name nor the pass word. I explained the can not have a contract with a 15 year old. There for it is an invalid account an they cant bill me. They refused to close the account. The phone company was a bigger help. They did not pay AOL at my request. Then I got letters for AOL stating they were putting the non payment on my credit report. I had to get a lawyer to get aol to close the account a minor had opened in my name.
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I agree.....I "got out" around AOL version 3 or so....what version are they up to now...32?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Version changes come about because of improvements to the software ...and actually, I think AOL is now on Version 9.

I was very much satisfied with AOL up until changing to Comcast.net. The only reason for the change was going to broadband, high speed cable, instead of the telephone line. I did not have the slightest problem in getting AOL to cancel my account for the requested date. They will do it overnight if one goes about it right.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #9

"AOL flat refused to stop my service and I finally had to completely erase my hard drive and reformat it to get rid of the AOL hidden contents that was on my computer..

For those of you who might be considering signing up with AOL .. be aware that when AOL is installed on your computer...it takes over the computer and will not let you control it like you want to.. it controls the computer like it wants to.."

John, I was in the same predicament as you because it cost me $287.00 (includes one try In Tucson and finally one in Maine) to have my computer brought back to original condition after I installed AOL in 1995. AOL could not be removed with the software my Geek shop had and he had to reformat the hard drive. I read once that the staff at AOL does not use their own program.
"libelous?" IMHO, NO! John's statement matches my experience exactly. He did not say anything, which was and is not true.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:13 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He did not say anything, which was and is not true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great!

Then John shouldn't have any difficulty whatsoever proving his statements in court in the unlikely event AOL were to file a libel suit against him.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #11

Hi Richard,

To be charged with libel, a person must make a public statement that is publicly known to be false in content.

AOL has been taken to court twice in the past on charges of cheating it's customers by failing to abide by the contract which is established when a customer installs AOL on their personal computer...

Now the charges have arisen again and is being processed through the USA legal system.

My statement that AOL is crooked and non-trustworthy is a correct statement and is not a fabricated lie.. therefore they cannot bring a libel suit against me...

Plus, ya gotta remember,,, they are in enough hot water right now with both the government and their customers and they don't want to make any waves to rock a very tipsy boat.

Like some of the others have said, people are jumping off the AOL ship like rats from a sinking garbage scow..

If you remember a few years back.. Time Warner separated themselves from AOL because they thought AOL was going under and did not want to be caught in the whirlpool and go down with it..

But if AOL or anyone else for that matter, wants to sue me... hahahaha .. let them go for it..

They can't get what I don't have... One vehicle, one abode (home, which is a 5Th wheel)
and my only income is VA pension and Social Security Retirement...

All of which are protected by federal law.... not even the IRS can touch my meager holdings... heck I haven't even paid taxes for the past three years.. IRS says they won't accept any payment from me because SS and VA is non-taxable..

So if AOL thinks they can get something the federal government can't... hahaha , all I can say is "GO FOR IT !!!"

John
Old 12-04-2005, 11:09 PM   #12

John is absolutely correct in his statements about AOL. When AOL is installed on your computer, it changes a number of critical windows files into AOL files. When you go to uninstall AOL, you end up deleting the coverted windows files and ultimately the computer will fail to run properly. This was one of the reasons AOL was sued several years ago. They lost that law suit. AOL is pure garbage.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote