Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Are any Snowbirds getting ready? Anyone meet up and convoy?

Weather is moving to Fall. Colder mornings for sure. Predictions up here the locals tell me it's going to be a long cold hard winter this year.

Can't help but think the Snowbirds are getting ready for the trip. Our Geese are flying up here so Snowbirds can't be far behind.

Curious if anyone meets up and travels together? Where is everyone off to this year?

James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

Florida! We usually head down mid November. Been going to FL. since I retired in 2008.
FYI Most snowbirds west of the Mississippi go to either Texas or AZ. which seems to be the norm.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Depending on what the doctors say, we plan on heading down to the Pensacola area in early January. It doesn’t get that cold here until late Dec early Jan.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

Going to Gold Canyon, AZ in about a week. This is our first time going south for the winter since we retired last year. We would caravan if the opportunity occurred.
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We will be taking a long, roundabout trip. Going to spend a couple of weeks at Bella Terra on the way to TX. So we are Winter Texans this year :-). All the way to the RGV!
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Our 1st Snowbird trip

Stano - We wanted to get to FL this year and went on a wait list over a year ago for 2 places. Still on that wait list even with deposit but decided we could not wait any longer and jumped on a opportunity in TX RGV this year. Perhaps we may make the Super Show in Tampa.

John - Prayers for you that you get good report from the Dr and make that Pensacola trip.

Steve - Like you, this is our first "snow bird" adventure. Congratulation on that retirement. Somehow I think we will be telling ourself... "Why did we not do this a long time ago"

CC & Paul - Hey, maybe we will see you down there in the Valley. I hear it is a great area to go. We are going to Mission Belle Grande

And yes we would enjoy a caravan travel experience.
Happy & Safe travels "Yall"
Old 09-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
CC & Paul - Hey, maybe we will see you down there in the Valley. I hear it is a great area to go. We are going to Mission Belle Grande
I don't know where Mission Belle is - I hope you like it! We will be staying at Llano Grande and at Bentsen Palm.

The Texans will correct you if you call yourself a snowbird. They LOVE their "winter Texans" and are so sincere about it that you'll be copping to that label fast :-)
Old 09-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Winter Texans love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
I don't know where Mission Belle is - I hope you like it! We will be staying at Llano Grande and at Bentsen Palm.

The Texans will correct you if you call yourself a snowbird. They LOVE their "winter Texans" and are so sincere about it that you'll be copping to that label fast :-)
We met a couple a year ago who stay at Llano Grande. They work camp here in SD and also there in the winter. We met up with them again this year and so we tried getting in there. Full But we did find Mission Belle 20 mins away. So we plan on catching up with them over there. In fact, they left today. Doing a month in Houston area doing FEMA inspections.

After last winter here, and -29 F w/o any wind chill, the prospect of another winter here is a bad thought. Life is short enough, time to enjoy it more.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We made our reservation at LLando Grande for this year the day we left last year. We leave a couple days after Christmas.

With Rockport TX and the area around Corpus hammered by the hurricane, followed by the damage in Florida, I would wager demand in the RGV this year exceeds supply.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #10

We will not head out till after Christmas. Getting coach winterized in Nov. for the few weeks we are at danger of freezing weather. IF we look to be getting a lot of snow in Dec. I'll look at options to take coach south for a few weeks. (Now I'm not sure I ever remember a lot of snow in Dec. around here. My memory is poor for the 60's.)
Old 09-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #11

We're planning on leaving Wisconsin about Nov 15. Spending about 5 weeks exploring NM and AZ and then landing in San Diego county Dec 22. Staying near SD in a few different places until April 15. This will be our 3rd winter doing something along these lines. Daughter and her husband and family live in the area. And, she is due with our second grandchild Feb 14
Old 09-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
We made our reservation at LLando Grande for this year the day we left last year. We leave a couple days after Christmas.
We are only staying there 2 months (Jan/Feb) so we couldn't reserve until June or July ( I forget). I called a couple of hours after they opened that day, and got the second-to-last spot! Over by the North mailboxes, so it's not the best location. But better than outside of the park LOL

Maybe we will bump into you there. I'm at the dog park or in the billiards room most of the time :-)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Thinking the same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post

With Rockport TX and the area around Corpus hammered by the hurricane, followed by the damage in Florida, I would wager demand in the RGV this year exceeds supply.
Thinking the same thing that this year the demand will be much higher. The CG's in the Corpus area I am sure are working overtime to be recovered and ready by the time "Winter Texans" start arriving. I have not heard reports.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #14

Was thinking the same about scarcity of reservations with all the damage in FL and TX. Luckily, we're set and our park in FL is OK.

We left from MI too late last year. Got snowed in and delayed several days in mid-December. Finally, got a 1-day window of dry roads and 8 degree temps to get out of Dodge. Shoveled 10-inches of snow/ice off the roof of the 5er, took off, and it didn't get above freezing until southern Georgia! Don't want to repeat that episode

This year we're hoping to leave mid-Nov, spend a few weeks in KY with our daughter and then head to FL for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec 2016 River Rd Freeland MI.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	177806