Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Are campgrounds turning into low income housing?

Has anyone else seen a drastic change in the makeup of campgrounds in the last few years?

We just completed a cross country trip and saw that quite a number of campgrounds are now dominated by permanent residents.

Some, like the one in Ely, NV, seemed to be transient workers that were staying for the winter. A lot of 5th wheels with insulation around the bottom and big propane tanks. Most were well kept.

Then we stopped at a campground right on the WY/NE border. At one time, this seems like a really nice campground with wide roads and easy highway access. Now it is beat down with very old rigs that looked like they have not moved in years. If the next campground wasn't over an hour away, we would have moved on.

I can see campground owners wanting the security of long term residents paying for sites, but you also want your campers to keep their sites and rigs in decent looking shape.

Maybe just a testament to our poor economy.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Has anyone else seen a drastic change in the makeup of campgrounds in the last few years? We just completed a cross country trip and saw that quite a number of campgrounds are now dominated by permanent residents. Some, like the one in Ely, NV, seemed to be transient workers that were staying for the winter. A lot of 5th wheels with insulation around the bottom and big propane tanks. Most were well kept. Then we stopped at a campground right on the WY/NE border. At one time, this seems like a really nice campground with wide roads and easy highway access. Now it is beat down with very old rigs that looked like they have not moved in years. If the next campground wasn't over an hour away, we would have moved on. I can see campground owners wanting the security of long term residents paying for sites, but you also want your campers to keep their sites and rigs in decent looking shape. Maybe just a testament to our poor economy.
I have seen an increase in oil and pipeline workers taking up long term campground residence in Ohio. Fracking has turned around that industry here. Most of the workers follow the work around the country from what I have seen.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some campgrounds yes others we stay in at $30 to $40 a night no. On a recent 3K mile trip, several campgrounds had separate ares for long-term parking. I don't have a problem with that as long as the areas are separate and well kept.

Heck, someday I hope to go to Florida and stay long term.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
laj

this is why I try to stay in higher end cg's. for what little extra it cost to me it's worth it. all kinds of other issues arise in these cg's. as well, and I just don't care to be bothered with them.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I stayed at a couple of campgrounds on my way to a long term (6 month) stay in Fl. that had a few older TT that appeared to have been there for a while, but in this case I just think it was a lack of annual cleaning rather than migrant workers or such.

I also try to stay long term at RV Resorts that I check the reviews before making my reservation. So far the long term stops were at very nice well maintained resorts that did not have any older looking, unkept RVs.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #6

With everyone staying at Wal-Mart, cracker barrel, rest areas ect, ect CG owners have to rent to who ever to get by.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hundreds of thousands have lost their homes over the past 5 years due to our corrupt loan and banking organizations that were greedy.

Those people needed a home so they chose whatever they could afford at the time which happen to be a RV.

Others use a RV to follow the work around the country. They need a place to stay for the duration of the job.

I chose to full-time whereas some of those people have had no choice.

Regarding the "residents" who don't keep their sites or RV's looking friendly, I blame the RV Park owners for not enforcing their rules and regulations.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Hundreds of thousands have lost their homes over the past 5 years due to our corrupt loan and banking organizations that were greedy.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Wrong, they were forced, by the Government, to give loans to those that didn't qualify for them, which eventually had to collapse.

Ed
Old 11-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Wrong, they were forced, by the Government, to give loans to those that didn't qualify for them, which eventually had to collapse.

Ed
+1000
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #10

And, as this practice seems to be going on again, will we see many more new RVers forced into the lifestyle, versus those who simply choose to?
This may result in more CG's being opened or expanded. Hopefully there will be a 'silver lining' for us.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
With everyone staying at Wal-Mart, cracker barrel, rest areas ect, ect CG owners have to rent to who ever to get by.
This statement is so wrong! Having work camped at several parks, the camp grounds are not having a problem with vacancy. As with anything the quality of the camp ground and its residence has a great deal more to do with the management or owner of the park. Just left one $60 a night plus park where the managers did not seem to care about the status/age of the trailer or motor home nor how well kept the site. On the other hand the previous position where we managed for two years both the owner and we were very conscientious of just how well kept the sites. Even to the point that the owner would not allow skirting. His reason was not wanting a site to become a storage lot. Here 2/3 of the sites where for long term monthly stays and the remainder were daily and weekly sites.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post

Ed
x10000
And the good government just a year ago was talking about how the banks need to extend loans to the lower income and less qualified borrowers. Not that we should ever expect them to learn from experience!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have seen more of this, but I also know of some parks that are trying to do away with the long term stays. Parks can make more money renting a site on a daily basis versus monthly. Especially in the south where the weather permits them to be open year round. It's unfortunate that the economy has forced people to alter their lifestyle but people are either neat and tidy or they're not. That's where the owners of parks need to step up and enforce rules. We full time by choice, but others are trying to survive the best way they know how. Very sad.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

This is your friendly, neighborhood moderator here... reminding everyone not to take this discussion into a political realm.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Closed Thread

Tags
campground