Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Weeeellll.........
Not too sad if you go to the North Dakota oil fields. Folks up there living in RVs making a lot of money! Lack of housing is the problem there.

Also see quite a few construction workers living in RVs and moving with the jobs.

Not all bad.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
This is your friendly, neighborhood moderator here... reminding everyone not to take this discussion into a political realm.

Thanks for your help.

Rick
I was hoping you would show up. It did start to drift a bit.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I am noticing this trend as well. However I guess I "assumed" that most of these permanent-looking campsites were full-timers, parked for the season. I don't know how RVs can be considered "low cost housing."
Old 11-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Emphatically, yes

I have posted about this before. I am confused about it too, as most communities have limits as to how long a stay can be at a campground because of residency issues.

Many is the time that I have felt uncomfortable in, off the beaten path, campgrounds that have beat up old trailers, with run down old furniture strewn about on campsites. Many also allow the setting up of "Portable" building used as garages, work shops or extra rooms. One we recently were at had sites cluttered with commercial vehicles, boats on trailers, and these temporary garage type buildings.. looked like a shanty town. If that is what owners want I am fine with that, but don't put me beside it without future notice, and make it an RV park not campground. This is a growing concern for us.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
You nailed it! Public assistance has become a new way of life for many and CGs represent a reasonbly inexpensive way to live.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #20

No troubles so far.

There are apps that screen well enough.

May see some CGs like that as we pass them on the highway, but that is all.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Whatever happened to pride? Is there now a dollar figure for that???

Depending on the cg's affiliation, I will ask what is their % of long term residences. I also add a long term residence comment when I write up a stay on rv parks review. I feel that if the cg's managements isn't worried how the place looks then I'll help advertise it for them.

If we don't feel comfortable with the place, we just leave. Done it before.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
our trip to wyo this summer
we stayed at a wide range of priced cg's
some had long term areas for a range of different trades
many were of the oil and gas and some were building wind turbines

most cg had places for long term folks

only one just north of amarillo did we decide to press on and go find another place...it was filled with fema looking trailers and lots of what appeared to be lot lizards
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

Old 11-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
jpf

Gulf Streamers Club
I with the trash.
If you could put a little sign up at the gate saying something like 'no trash here', we won't be bothering you.
how's that?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #24

I have found that most campgrounds in Pennsylvania and New York have more "seasonals" on sites than they do sites for "transients". For the most part, the seasonals act like they own these places and treat the weekend campers like they are intruders. I haven't found too many friendly seasonal campers. Also, most of these seasonals have run down, filthy campers with all kinds of yard gnomes, signs, storage sheds, etc that make a campground feel like a trailer park. I looked at one place in PA that had a total of about 120 sites, but only 10 of them were available to short-term campers. I think it is a shame that these campgrounds are being run into the ground by people who live there.

Bruce
Old 11-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #25

Are we somehow worried that if we get too close to the unwashed we'll be more like them?
Ruffled my feathers with this one. It's only by God's good graces that hard(er) times have not falling on more of us.

Gear up... Move on... I'm sure they don't want us there either.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if any of the low-rent folks we are discussing here ever feel sorry for the folks who have to camp at a Wal-Mart.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
When we purchased our first MH, part of the rational for purchasing one was the "what if factor" of the economy. I still feel it can serve as a emergency roof over our head plus all the weekend/vacation fun times.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Old 11-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm having a hard time with this thread. We are by no way, one with a trashy camp site. We do stay long term at almost every campground we are at. We always scope out the campground prior to paying for a month. We have even gone as far as flying to the city of choice, renting a car & checking out several campgrounds. This thread reads as though all long term residents of campgrounds are filthy low rent low income people. We have been doing this for 5 years & yes these type of campgrounds do exist, but there are also long term campgrounds that have rules, and pride from the owners & residents staying there to keep their place nice, just as nice as if they lived in a housing development. We are currently in a campground that caters to adults and long term transient workers. This is one of the nicest cleanest campgrounds we have stayed in. However the owners are not afraid to send a camper packing if they disrupt the campground in any negative way. They take a lot of pride in having a comfortable pleasant to stay campground.
I find it a very rare situation that we would have to stay in a trashy campground. I realize sometimes it happens & can't be avoided, but I would hope we could move on in a short time.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground