Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #169

Okay. Having read through this entire thread, I've noticed that no one has admitted to being one of the "reverse snobs" that everyone seems to know exists. I guess I'll be the first.

When I was an avid tent camper I was a bit jealous of the campers who had a home on wheels, especially on the rainy days. I always figured they wouldn't care to talk with a 'lowly tent camper', so never attempted to strike up a conversation. Now that my family has a travel trailer, I see the same treatment occasionally from others who tent camp, though I do try to strike up a conversation with most of them.

I will admit that, even now with the TT, I am still more comfortable striking up that conversation with a fellow TT owner than someone with a fifth wheel or Class A. The biggest reason is that the majority of FW and Class A owners(please don't think I am lumping ALL together, just my personal experience) are older than us and, generally, without kids. Since we have 4 kids who can get a bit loud at times, we tend to stay away for the others benefit. Again, we are not snubbing them, and would gladly partake in conversation, but we leave it up to them to come to us (other than a simple wave and a "hi").

Anyone with children, especially the same ages as ours, is fair game regardless of their choice of camping style.

DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #170

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
AHAH! This is a perfect example of my concern in the original post ...

NOT that class Aers were snobs, but the reverse - that others might PERCEIVE them to be, and not be as friendly.

It has been amazing to watch this thread grow and hear the many and varied opinions and experiences of all posters.
I'm going to take your advice and just offer a big smile to all!
This is exactly the point. I don't even think that it's reverse snobbery (is that a word?) as much as I think some folks are intimidated by a large shiny coach and automatically assume the owners of said coach won't be bothered to talk to the owner of the so-called lowly TT.

That being said, I believe that as the owner of a large shiny coach it's inherent upon me to make the first move. Yesterday was a prime example. We arrived at an RV Park and in the process of hooking up one of our immediate neighbors came back to her TT. It was pretty obvious that she was making it a point to avoid eye contact. When I said, "Hi! How's your day going?", I thought she was going to have a stroke. She obviously didn't expect me to speak to her. Once I broke the ice we had a nice conversation. Come to find out, she and her husband were on their maiden voyage with a brand new TT and this was their first RVing experience even though they were an older couple.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
When I said, "Hi! How's your day going?", I thought she was going to have a stroke.
You're mean... Traumatizing little ole ladies.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #172

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
You're mean... Traumatizing little ole ladies.
Ok, I confess. There may be just a hint of truth in what you say. I really do hate it when people refuse to make eye contact. Bothers the heck out of me.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #173
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Ok, I confess. There may be just a hint of truth in what you say. I really do hate it when people refuse to make eye contact. Bothers the heck out of me.
The eyes are the gateway to the soul.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #174

Yeah, get right in their face. Inches away...
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #175

Vintage RV Owners Club
neet to read ..I'm still trying to figger out how to start the generator in my 31 '..and fix lights ..and clean the cupboards ..and replace doors ..before I go "camping " ..or is it now RVing??still .. I have always had fun and met some realy neet people !!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
... When thinking about everyone "working their way up through the camping ranks" of tent, TT, etc... be careful about assuming that everyone in a CG today thinks that they are "camping". Today's big rigs are a wonderful way to travel and see this great country... especially if you have pets, like sleeping in your own bed at night, etc, etc.

Although in my younger years I did my share of tent and boat camping, when we travel in my 40 DP I just don't feel like I'm "going off camping". I'm just traveling and using campgrounds because of the facilities they offer. We're not trying to build memories every night around the campfire. We're just traveling and living on the road.
VERY well put - I had not thought about that!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMyHome View Post
... The biggest reason is that the majority of FW and Class A owners (please don't think I am lumping ALL together, just my personal experience) are older than us and, generally, without kids. Since we have 4 kids who can get a bit loud at times, we tend to stay away for the others benefit. Again, we are not snubbing them, and would gladly partake in conversation, but we leave it up to them to come to us (other than a simple wave and a "hi").

Anyone with children, especially the same ages as ours, is fair game regardless of their choice of camping style.
Another very good point. I have no children, but have spent a lot of time over the years with my sister and her kids, and you do become very aware of the energy and noise level. If someone has kids, you are more relaxed with them because you know they are used to a "normal" activity level, plus the kids are meeting and making new friends while you chat with the adults.

But as a single person with no children, when I am NOT around my nieces and nephews, I do find myself less tolerant of that "normal" volume and energy level - especially at restaurants - and adults with children seem to be able to sense that low-level irritation when you glance (scowl?!) in their direction.

So what I might perceive as "reverse snobbery" could just be their concern that they not disturb my CG time!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #178

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I try to wave to other RVers as they pass.
I figure if they don't wave back is because they weren't expecting to be waved at. I do hope that if they pass another RV they will wave to them.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #179

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I guess everyone has a different experience. This weekend we were the ONLY Class A in the campground (we're at a forest site near Lake Shasta) and there were all kinds of folks interested in our rig. Maybe most were wondering what "the beast" (our nickname for the rig) was doing here, but I say "hi" to everyone and conversation just strikes up. I really think if you're open to meeting folks that's exactly what will happen. Haven't been to a campground yet where we didn't meet someone and we've been on the road 3 years!

Now that said I have met snobs, and Class A owners who would never stay anywhere except a Class A campground and who certainly wouldn't be seen dead in a forest service campground. But those folks would be like that anywhere, even if they didn't own an RV. In my mind that has less to do with the type of rig than the type of person they are.

Be relaxed and open and you'll get the same in return. That's my motto.

Nina
We'd love to get into a Forest Service campground but our rig is 41+' long which really doesn't fit in most of them. We bought this rig as our retirement home, knowing that we could no longer fit in some areas. I can't say we have more fun in our big MH as we had in our little Type B MH. In fact I think it's less as my wife now has trouble walking and gets sick very easily when outside. Don't know why that is other than very low iron levels but it's a fact of life so she spends most of the time inside. She's not "stuck up" but people probably perceive her as being that way since she's not out side much.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #180

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last year we were in our favorite campground. A lady come in and had a very hard time backing her 5th wheel in. I haven't ever driven a PU with a 5th on but I was about to go out and help anyway. Then she tried to level and unhook. I did go over and help unhook. Next she tried to hook up the water, new hose and no washer in it. Went and got one from my supply. She did figure out the electrical hookup while I held my flashlight for her. Next day her boyfriend showed up. Never a word from him about helping or a thank you.
Oh well, just another 5th wheel "snob"!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #181

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
We'd love to get into a Forest Service campground but our rig is 41+' long which really doesn't fit in most of them. We bought this rig as our retirement home, knowing that we could no longer fit in some areas. I can't say we have more fun in our big MH as we had in our little Type B MH. In fact I think it's less as my wife now has trouble walking and gets sick very easily when outside. Don't know why that is other than very low iron levels but it's a fact of life so she spends most of the time inside. She's not "stuck up" but people probably perceive her as being that way since she's not out side much.
So very sorry to hear your wife has trouble walking, but don't let your rig size hold you back from scenic and natural spots. Our rig is 40 feet (41.6 feet actual measurement) and we spend 90% of our time in public parks (forest sites, state parks, BLM). It takes more planning, but it can be done. Have a look at my blog if you want to see some of the spots we go. Our last 2 sites were forest service and we're currently in a county park by the lake. All summer will be State Parks.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #182

Monaco Owners Club
When u cut it to the chase, we're all campers.

Do me a favor. Be the first to say hello, to make eye contact, to make a new friend. If we all wait for the other to do it, we're just not campers anymore....

One of the best times i've had... It was last spring, a friday evening. I'm on my way home from a business trip, and the campground i stop in is a "seasonal destination." As its very early in the season, and the place doea not allow the rigs to overwinter, it was full of people bringing in thier fivers or tt's, families and kids everywhere...

Well guess what? There wasn't a one who wasn't jhappy to spend some time with, and share some fellowship with, a middle aged guy alone with a fancy DP....
I was out partying and talking with them well into the night, and the next morning as well... Another one of those times when i called the DW and asked her to drive up for the weekend..... 6 hours away, she said no.

Tags
motorhome