Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #225

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #226

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Someone else had this question, so I am just bumping it up so they can find it.

Kathryn
WE HAVE OWNED TRAVEL TRAILERS, ONE CLASS C AND 3 CLASS A's. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH ANYONE BEING A SNOB......CLASS A OR OTHERWISE. WE LIKE RVing BECAUSE WE FIND THE "JERK FACTOR" TO BE LOW IN THE AVOCATION. WE STARTED IN OUR EARLY 50's, HAVE MET TONS OF FOLKS WE REALLY LIKE......NO MATTER IF IT WAS SOME GOOMER CAMPGROUND IN QUARTZITE, ARIZONA OR ONE OF THE HIGH END COMMUNITIES IN INDIO OR PALM DESERT, CALIFORNIA.

WE HAVE STAYED IN STATE PARKS AND GENERALLY LOVE THEM. IF YOU SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN AN RV, IT IS HARD NOT TO WANT A LARGE CLASS A OR A LARGE FIFTH WHEEL. IN OUR CASE, I AM 6' 4" and HAVING ROOM IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

MY ONLY COMMENT ON RVing THAT I DO NOT CARE FOR.......ARE THE PARK MODEL COMMUNITIES THAT MIX RV FOLKS IN WITH THE "park model" POEPLE. PARK MODEL DWELLERS ARE NOT REALLY RVers.......

I HAVE NO CRITICISM FOR PARK MODEL,PEOPLE, I JUST SAY, IT IS DIFFERENT AND I DO NOT LIKE STAYING IN THE BIGGER "55 and over" type PARK MODEL COMMUNITIES.

WE SIMPLY PREFER THE TRUE RV PARKS REGARDLESS OF IF A GOOD SAM PARK, KOA, STATE PARK OR HIGH END TYPE RV PARK.

THEY ARE SEPARATE AND DISTINCT IN MY VIEW.

WE LIKE PEOPLE THAT TAKE CARE OF THEIR RV's AND MAINTAIN THEM WELL REGARDLESS OF THE AGE OF THE UNIT AND REGARDLESS OF IF IT IS A TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL, CLASS C, CLASS A OR WHATEVER.

WE DO NOT LIKE JUNKY NON MAINTAINED PARKS NOR UN CARED FOR RV's. IF THAT IS BEING A SNOB, SO BE IT BUT MOST FOLKS ARE JUST FINE, CLASS A OR OTHERWISE.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #227

Sitting here in my 5th wheel trailer with the coffee pot on, watching the news on the TV, my Harley in the garage, the Duramax ready for another day of tugging this barn down the road. I see the young family on the site next to mine with their popup, cooking breakfast over the fire, two kids still in their pj's, puppy on a leash. Gosh, they are so lucky......
Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #228
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
If most critics of us Class A owners ever actually drove one, I think their attitude would change.
Our story started about 15 years ago. My wife had just had a baby and I was due for some holidays. A friend at work had his wife working at an RV rental place so we enquired about renting a Class A, as it suited our situation with a new baby. We got a pretty good deal on our rental and took it through two mountain ranges out to some lakes in BC.

We were hooked!

Sitting in those seats driving our rented living room down the road and staring out that great big windshield was all it took for us to want to do this again. We tried tenting, owning a travel trailer, borrowing a pop up tent trailer. Everything paled in comparison to our Class A adventure and the feeling we got during that brief tenancy.
I always looked back and envied those that I saw driving these motorized living rooms on wheels.

When we finally decided to take up camping again after years of jetting off to exotic places, we first looked at towing a travel trailer. I found in my research that it was possible to own a Class A for nearly the same money as the TT. With some homework, I was able to find some pretty good deals and "Voila". We became Class A owners. Or should I say me and the "Bank" became Class A owners.

This is just our story. I would never go back and I believe if others experienced camping our way, I'm sure they would do everything in their power to follow in our foot steps.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #229

The vast majority of class A owners started out tent camping or close to it. They experienced the same things then that new campers do now.
The difference today is that there are a lot of the newer camping people that seem to never have learned or retained proper etiquette and conduct in a CG. So, those that have learned and do practice the correct things to do tend to wait and see how the new "neighbors" conduct themselves.
Proper etiquette makes a great difference in how people are perceived.
Examples: Watch someone go and throw a ball past a bowler on the next alley. Disruption!
Watch someone that doesn't know enough to replace their divots, yell while someone is hitting a ball.
Watch kids run thru your campsite with no regard for your privacy or property.
Go into a National CG restroom and see where someone smeared feces on the wall or plugged up the toilet.

Any and all of the examples would cause any sane person, whether a class A owner or not, to hold back until observing what type of people they might be dealing with.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble
Sitting here in my 5th wheel trailer with the coffee pot on, watching the news on the TV, my Harley in the garage, the Duramax ready for another day of tugging this barn down the road. I see the young family on the site next to mine with their popup, cooking breakfast over the fire, two kids still in their pj's, puppy on a leash. Gosh, they are so lucky......
AMEN. The simple things we had.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #231

Vintage RV Owners Club
my wife and I just got a vintage class A ..an old Itasca 31..with plans for our gran kids and traveling ..learning all the problems reawakening a rig parked for a couple of years ..so far everyone has tried to help so if that is snob's ..I like them .. so thank't to the "A" class snobs.. we started camping outa the back of a 66 chrysler Newport ..with a 2 man pop-up tent ....20 years ago..wow..good memories ..
Old 06-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #232

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
This is just our story. I would never go back and I believe if others experienced camping our way, I'm sure they would do everything in their power to follow in our foot steps.
Had a class A - like the fifth wheel better. Wish my knees allowed me to still tent camp and backpack. Nothing like taking a youth group tent camping when some had never been camping before.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #233
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
I don't ever regret going through the tenting stage.
I may have spoiled my daughter with the Class A because I doubt she will care to experience the more rugged way of enjoying camping life. Once you have been spoiled.....it's tough to go back. Although, you never know.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #234

I only remember camping in my parents class C as a minor but when I moved out on my own I went to a tent. At 17 / 18 I couldn't afford a motorhome, nor would I have had a place to keep it. Didn't get a motorhome until I was 30.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #235
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
I only remember camping in my parents class C as a minor but when I moved out on my own I went to a tent. At 17 / 18 I couldn't afford a motorhome, nor would I have had a place to keep it. Didn't get a motorhome until I was 30.
Congrats on getting one at 30!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #236

Newmar Owners Club

If I have no more control than to have a 'death grip' on the wheel and not enjoying myself along my way......... I'll be parked at Walmart setting next to the campfire under the awning.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #237

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ooooh yeah, count us in as snobs. We cant understand how all these people pull up next to us, level their little travel trailer, unhitch, and then set up camp. They start a fire, cook food, sit up till all hours talking about God knows what, then go inside into that little trailer and go to sleep. They usually have kids making noise and actually seeming to enjoy themselves. In fact, so do the adults, they really seem to have a good time.

How on earth is that possible?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #238
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Ooooh yeah, count us in as snobs. We cant understand how all these people pull up next to us, level their little travel trailer, unhitch, and then set up camp. They start a fire, cook food, sit up till all hours talking about God knows what, then go inside into that little trailer and go to sleep. They usually have kids making noise and actually seeming to enjoy themselves. In fact, so do the adults, they really seem to have a good time.

How on earth is that possible?
Puzzled man since the dawn of time!

Tags
motorhome