Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

A very interesting question... and I think it has a lot of different answers... depending upon your perspective.

We just quit full timing after over three years through 34 states and 40,000 miles... in a new 40 DP. I don't think I ever once felt the word "snob" was appropriate for anything we experienced... although we were the ones driving the "snobmobile" and I don't doubt that there were some who pointed to us and felt WE were snobs without ever meeting us or speaking to us.

We spend a great deal of time inside our rig because we aren't "camping" like so many around us are... we're just "traveling" and doing it in a motorhome we had outfitted to be a nice home on wheels for us and our three dogs. We sit outside our coach about as much as we sit on our patio now that we have a stick house again.

I'm an outgoing, friendly person and say hello and wave to everybody, but I'm not big on sitting around a campfire more than a couple of times a year and I'm not going to stop you on your way to the dog park and talk your leg off.

So, I suspect I've unwittingly contributed to whatever Class A Snob paradigm might exist... but I think it's a bum rap!

Congrats on your upcoming changes and many happy miles and adventures ahead. BTW, good choice picking the Class A w/toad.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
JDT

Snobbish behaviour is not limited to the rv world. I am one who thinks that if you place your values in what you own then you may need to step back and look at what is really important.

We transistioned from a fifth wheel to a gas motorhome 9 years ago and 2 years later went to a 39' diesel pusher. I did feel a good about the change to the gas motorhome, simply because of the convenience and freedom it allows while going down the road. It was short lived when I figured out it took two men and a boy to steer the thing straight down the road. A diesel pusher came next and I was quite proud of it, until I looked around and realized what we had was just a notch or two above entry level.

We recently sold the motorhome and went back to a fifth wheel because I got weary of the cost of maintaining a dp motorhome. I did get a comment from one of our traveling friends, who have a forty foot coach, that we had taken a step backwards. The fifth wheel we have is nicer inside than many motorhomes, including theirs, but I really don't care and more importantly, it really doesn't matter.

Not sure this helps with your question but I do think because of the higher cost of motorhomes there may be a tendency for some to think they have to be superior to other forms of rv'ing. Just remember, when you get there and park it they are all a house on wheels, be it a popup, a travel trailer, fifth wheel or motorhome. Some are bigger and some are fancier, but they are still just a place to keep you dry while camped.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #17

Enjoy whatever you decide to get SMILE

I have found that most of the IRV2 people have been fantastic and very helpful.... While i love meeting and talking to people, i try to respect privacy of others in campgrounds... But if you see me out, just smile and wave and i will talk away..... I am a retired teacher, DH is retired military... We are not wealthy by any means, but love to travel, and for us a class A is the most comfortable....
Enjoy whatever you decide to get......
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
"Considering I have a 92 Eagle they may not even let me in some parks, though its clean and nice looking and not beat up, so I'm sure no snob. And I will chat with you if you come by. I may be inside though depending on how hot it is and how tired I am. I'm my sole driver. So DD will be playing on her computer, I will have finished dinner, and probably be petting our 16 year old cat while chatting with hubby who calls everyday at 5PM.

Enjoy, don't let folks bother you and post again. I'm not here much either and killed a thread today, they pulled it after I commented so I'm already in the doghouse I guess.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Just remember, when you get there and park it they are all a house on wheels, be it a popup, a travel trailer, fifth wheel or motorhome. Some are bigger and some are fancier, but they are still just a place to keep you dry while camped.

Spot on and nicely put!

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pat, are you one of those dreaded "thread killers???? I have heard about those but thought they were just an urban legend!! Can't believe that I am actually 'meeting' one- in the flesh-- so to speak (LOL!!)

Okay, I'm dying here; what thread did you kill?

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #21

LOL! Just noticed the rude comment got pulled, along with my heated response! Thx moderators for keeping things under control - I was already regretting the level of my response!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Kathryn,

Don't let anything worry you. Remember, we all get to dump no matter how fancy the rig, that's a real equalizer.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't run into any snobs. It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been RV'ing since 1957, have never felt or seen a "class" distinction anywhere in our travels. If there is it's all in peoples minds.
You can have just as much fun in a tent as a 45' Newell. It's about the experience, not the mode of getting there.
But, that was one of the reasons RVIA changed the designation from Class A, Class B aand Class C To Type A, Type B and Type C. They didn't want people to feel that there was a "class" distinction.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Kathryn,

Don't let anything worry you. Remember, we all get to dump no matter how fancy the rig, that's a real equalizer.

Barb

LOL!!! Hadn't thought of that!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would respond, however I feel above any such response. Responses are beneath me, literally.

Ohh, and the whole dump thing, mine does not stink.

I choose Newell over tent.....
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #27

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
No, I don't find Class A owners to be snobs. I find some resorts that restrict their clientele to Class A owners to be snobs. But if I wanted to pay $100 a night, I'd stay in a hotel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Me too, but only a really nice hotel, not a low class hotel.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome