Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #113

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You know I got to thinking about this thread. I said we had never noticed it, but in fact we have. It was reverse "snobbery" though. We joined a local Good Sam chapter, turned out some of the members were jealous of us and our rig. All members except one had TT's or 5th wheels. Since we both work and had two grandkids we're raising they changed all their rallies to during the week so we couldn't attend. I'm not even sure they exist anymore as they were having trouble getting members anyway. We dropped out as did one other couple. One member told us what was going on and who the instigator was. Our rig was seven years old at the time but still looked new due to the full body paint.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #114

In 1990, while refueling my 1976 26-foot type A Explorer gasser, a new type A gasser pulled up on the other side of the island. I nodded and said Hi, to which he replied with a superior smirk "That's still on the road, huh?"

Brushing aside my immediate combative reaction, I replied "Still runs good and I have everything I need". He said "What, a porta-potty, ice box and a cot?".

Still trying to contain myself I responded "Nope. But I suspect there's one thing you have that I don't". He asked "And what would that be?"
I said "A monthly payment".

End of discussion.

So yes, I suppose there are some with an attitude. But that's the only time I ever really experienced it in over 40 years of being at this.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #115

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mine is kind of an odd situation. I had a newer motorhome, a Winnie, entry level 2005 but still nice. So no problem there. I sold it and bought this old 92 Eagle, finishing up stuff and don't know how it will be accepted in parks. It's way beyond age limit. I know COE and state parks will be ok, but not sure about "normal" campgrounds. I know some will, likely some won't.

But beyond that its myself a married woman, but with hubby gone all the time, I travel alone with my mentally challenged daughter. Her disability is mild but she has Williams Syndrone so looks different. With these issues we are oddities right there, we don't fit in. Most people are married couples and they don't really want us, some neighbors at campgrounds are very nice but kind of stand offish too. It gets lonely and I wish we could just be welcomed and treated like anyone else. We are just wanting to have a good time also but its almost like some folks are afraid of us.

We have a good time together anyway, and I'm just to the point I know we will not be accepted and when we are appreciate it. We are nice folks, I don't want your husband, I'm not trying to cause issues anywhere, we just want to go and be part of the group. I thought about trying to join the single partners group but that seems a bit odd, so where do us square pegs go? I see a few couples traveling with an adult disabled "child" and notice the same thing about them. They too seem alone.

But DD and I have never met a stranger, if you need help ask me I will if I can. If you want to be friendly come on over we are but we will not force you to be friends if you don't want to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Good Shine.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	21484   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH plus toad.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	21485  

Name:	Motorhome Carport  2010.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	21486  
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #116

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
My wife and I are only two years into RVing. We are yet to meet any really snobish folks, excepting neighbors from our home town and that's just their personality. Even their trash smells better and is nicer than anyone else. You know the type. We just spent our first winter in Florida. Being a first for us, it was an adventure. We learned how badly we over packed and a lot more. The camp ground we chose looks great at the entrance, but as you drive further in, you can see it's tired and needs a lot of TLC. But we found our spot and shortly after that, we had a neighbor at the door with fresh baked goodies. Shorten the story -- after four months we learned we had a mix of people from rich to poor, overly educated to plain ignorant.......but everyone was there and keep coming back for the people. Everyone respected one another and was proud of whatever their coach was. I haven't met a stranger yet...and do have a very nice, new to us, shiny Winnie. It's just as nice as one fellow's '82 whatever it was. And does everything that the other fellow's 2012 overly expensive coach does. So don't be afraid to buy what you want -- there are great people everywhere and for the rest -- they stay inside anyway.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #117

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Some of these high end "motorcoach resorts" really are a lot different from the CGs most of us frequent. However, I certainly defend their right to have such places. The "ten year" rule riles a lot of people but IMO it's all part of free enterprise.

Rick
I can understand if this had been a high end resort. It was a campground that had added this elite section, then the CG was sold to someone else who apparently wasn't sold on the elite aspect and started putting in any Class A's. I might add, none were trashy looking. We had requested the older part of the CG and were told we would need to go to the newer part because we had a Class A. Once we got there we realized we had been lied to, but we didn't make waves. A good number of IRV2ers stay in this CG in the winter months in the older section, which to me was friendlier and they had some very nice MH's. I have no problem if a CG or Resort is Class A only and with the 'ten year' rule, I just won't go there. I like mixing with everyday people like myself.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #118

well, as you can see by the pictures below. I do not
like the lineup in a row campgrounds that MH use.
I'm sure its for easy in easy out.
Its so nice to relax and enjoy the scenery.
And not the generators running next to you all
day, because some MH do not want to hook up
to shore power.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5230009.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	21488   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5250116.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	21489  

Name:	P7260053.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	21490   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280094.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	21491  

1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #119

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW
I absolutely have noticed a bit of RV snobbery. Amazing how some people think a bigger payment makes them superior in some way.
I have seen it also. However, I have met a lot of other people that were really friendly. But then again we are new to this, only a year in. but I have no problem asking someone at a campground if I can see the inside of their coach. :-) Some say yes, some just look at you like you are from mars.
Tomandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #120

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch
Personally, I've never noticed a "class" difference around the campground.

People are people. We just choose a different way to get to the same place to do the same thing!
I totally agree. We camp most of our time in public parks, and I love meeting folks so I'll talk to everyone along the way. I think if your attitude is relaxed and open you invite the same from others.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
Mine is kind of an odd situation. I had a newer motorhome, a Winnie, entry level 2005 but still nice. So no problem there. I sold it and bought this old 92 Eagle, finishing up stuff and don't know how it will be accepted in parks. It's way beyond age limit. I know COE and state parks will be ok, but not sure about "normal" campgrounds. I know some will, likely some won't.

But beyond that its myself a married woman, but with hubby gone all the time, I travel alone with my mentally challenged daughter. Her disability is mild but she has Williams Syndrone so looks different. With these issues we are oddities right there, we don't fit in. Most people are married couples and they don't really want us, some neighbors at campgrounds are very nice but kind of stand offish too. It gets lonely and I wish we could just be welcomed and treated like anyone else. We are just wanting to have a good time also but its almost like some folks are afraid of us.

We have a good time together anyway, and I'm just to the point I know we will not be accepted and when we are appreciate it. We are nice folks, I don't want your husband, I'm not trying to cause issues anywhere, we just want to go and be part of the group. I thought about trying to join the single partners group but that seems a bit odd, so where do us square pegs go? I see a few couples traveling with an adult disabled "child" and notice the same thing about them. They too seem alone.

But DD and I have never met a stranger, if you need help ask me I will if I can. If you want to be friendly come on over we are but we will not force you to be friends if you don't want to be.

Wow! That is one beautiful coach! I'm sure the "10 year old" rule was implemented because they don't want poorly kept looking stuff, and I HAVE seen a few of those! If the question ever comes up, just have them take a look at your coach!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #122

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
After reading several posts regarding how much time is spent outside; consider this: My DH has COPD and it depends on the outside air quality how much time he is able to spend outside our 5er.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I totally agree. We camp most of our time in public parks, and I love meeting folks so I'll talk to everyone along the way. I think if your attitude is relaxed and open you invite the same from others.
And that, IMHO, sums it up. People are who they are regardless of what transportation or RV cloak they choose. I would venture to say there are some snobs in "pop-ups" just like there can be in Class A's. Our extended family camps in 5ver's, pop-ups, Class C's and A's. They are all fine folks who would drop whatever they are doing to help someone out.

Making too much of snobs who have chips on their shoulders, whatever they drive, just promotes the class warfare mentality that is so destructive to our country.

Hug a Vet this weekend!

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #124

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Hug a Vet this weekend!

I hug a vet every night. :-)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #125

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52
Hug a Vet this weekend!

I hug a vet every night. :-)
As does my wife!
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #126
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How's this. My wife and I are both veterans.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome