Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #155

Tiffin Owners Club
It takes all kinds Hon

I have been traveling around for a few years in my old class A, 97 Allegro and it all depends on where you are and who your with. I happen to like older rigs and they are ones I like to search out and talk to the owners as they are usually more interesting.
I have been places where folks have been down right rude, others who found out my rig was older who wouldn't give me the time of day. Some, not many, were Azzes. Others have been the sweetest, nicest folks you'd ever want to meet and for the life of me it is hard for me to remember what rig they were using.

For me I just don't care and I like the folks who don't care too!

Do what makes you happy, wave smile and if they wave back smile some more. Forget the rest life is to short to be bummed by sourpusses.

As usual YMMV
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #156

Newmar Owners Club
Have to tell this story, and so help me it's true.

We have friends we have known for over 30 years. Back in the 80s they were yuppies to a cartoonish degree, and now they are aging boomers who still consider themselves upper crust but they have toned down a bit. They own a Class or Type B that they bought because their vacation home is several hours away and they thought it would make their frequent trips easier and more enjoyable.

They will not under any circumstance refer to it as an RV. Calling it an RV will result in a swift rebuke. It is a "van conversion". They are not, and I quote, "RV people" ( to get it right, you must think and say "RV People" with a healthy amount of disdain).

I never told them about our Class A we bought last year and keep on a pad beside our garage. We invited them over for dinner one evening and by the time they reached our front door, they were pallid. We got a laugh out of it and we're still friends. You take the good with the bad with life-long friends.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #157

A lady camping next to us one time summed it up this way....we all began camping in tents, then pop ups, TT, and, in her case, finally a MH. Enjoy what you have while you can and don't worry about what others think. She was in a Prevost and was one of the most down to earth people I ever met. I also liked her attitude towards life.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #158

Having been at this for a long time, the RV population, as I see it, is comprised of people that have worked hard to enjoy the lifestyle, whether it be a tent or a Newell. To them all, I raise a glass and will drink to their well-being.
And, if I'm lucky, I will meet myriad folks who share the same opinion (the others are easily ignored and cause me no concern whatsoever).

There is no class/type warfare/competition, with very few and altogether negligible exceptions.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #159

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am looking forward to learning the "class A" and such stuff ..I have a new to me ..87 Itasca ..it's in the same shape I am in ..rough ..bent ..some parts won't work ..some have been removed ..my first time out I found out you need a outlet plug adapter to power the rig ..and the water system is ..um a challange ..I got help from several other RVer's so ..so far for me ..it's all good ..now how do you get the air to work ?? and why does the battery die after 5 day's ??
kenjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #160
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjh View Post
I am looking forward to learning the "class A" and such stuff ..I have a new to me ..87 Itasca ..it's in the same shape I am in ..rough ..bent ..some parts won't work ..some have been removed ..my first time out I found out you need a outlet plug adapter to power the rig ..and the water system is ..um a challange ..I got help from several other RVer's so ..so far for me ..it's all good ..now how do you get the air to work ?? and why does the battery die after 5 day's ??
Ken, you got some learning to do! Best start firing some questions!

Best place to start is by giving us as much information about your rig as you can. I don't know much about older rigs (or any for that matter) but there are guys here who will. Start a new thread with your question. Always a good idea to search the forum and you may find ideas or discussions already taken place that can help.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #161

We went from a Truck Camper to a class A. When we would be setting up or breaking camp with the TC others would come buy to talk almost every time and on more than one ocasion I would have to ask them to wait until we were finished so I could talk. I may have hurt a few fealings. But with the class A it is very rare that anyone will stop buy and we are still the same people. I miss the old days of meeting every one.
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #162

Monaco Owners Club
I guess everyone has a different experience. This weekend we were the ONLY Class A in the campground (we're at a forest site near Lake Shasta) and there were all kinds of folks interested in our rig. Maybe most were wondering what "the beast" (our nickname for the rig) was doing here, but I say "hi" to everyone and conversation just strikes up. I really think if you're open to meeting folks that's exactly what will happen. Haven't been to a campground yet where we didn't meet someone and we've been on the road 3 years!

Now that said I have met snobs, and Class A owners who would never stay anywhere except a Class A campground and who certainly wouldn't be seen dead in a forest service campground. But those folks would be like that anywhere, even if they didn't own an RV. In my mind that has less to do with the type of rig than the type of person they are.

Be relaxed and open and you'll get the same in return. That's my motto.

Nina
Old 05-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #163

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I absolutely have noticed a bit of RV snobbery. Amazing how some people think a bigger payment makes them superior in some way.
You are absolutely correct! All you need to do is read the comments when the Gas vs Diesel queston comes up!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just my opinion...there are snobs and there are Class A owners. Sometimes the 2 find a match. I have a Class "A", but have been a proud Canvas Tent owner, pop-top owner, and TT owner in the past and have seen the snobby behavior from others with all other types of gear.

Maybe this thread will make some think about their behavior.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #165

We have noticed snobs on both ends of the spectrum. I also think that people who have worked there way through the different levels have a lot more mutual respect for everyone that is camping, where the silverspoon group who bought the "big rig" right out of the gate are more likely to be Snobbish. But We also see people who automatically ASSume that because we have a big rig that we must be snobs. Without even giving so much as a friendly nod.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I guess everyone has a different experience. This weekend we were the ONLY Class A in the campground (we're at a forest site near Lake Shasta) and there were all kinds of folks interested in our rig. Maybe most were wondering what "the beast" (our nickname for the rig) was doing here, but I say "hi" to everyone and conversation just strikes up. I really think if you're open to meeting folks that's exactly what will happen. Haven't been to a campground yet where we didn't meet someone and we've been on the road 3 years!

Nina
Nina, your comments reminded me of when we spent a month at a great little CG in rural Ohio a couple of years ago. Not only were we the only "Class A" there... most of the time we were the only RV there that was not part of a semi-permanent leased site. And we're a 40DP so we stood out like a sore thumb.

It was great watching the park fill up around us with families in tents, pop ups, slide in's, and the occasional TT or fiver as July 4th weekend arrived. Our rig was quite an attraction and we talked with more kids and their parents than I could count, about how big it was, was it hard to drive, etc, etc.... But our US travel map showing the states we've visited (34) which I've mounted so it is visible when the slides are extended, was the biggest hit with many of the kids and generated even more questions.

We couldn't have enjoyed it more and, although we weren't invited to join anyone at their campfire, I think all of the interactions were great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Just my opinion...there are snobs and there are Class A owners. Sometimes the 2 find a match. .
Very well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardan1 View Post
We have noticed snobs on both ends of the spectrum. I also think that people who have worked there way through the different levels have a lot more mutual respect for everyone that is camping, where the silverspoon group who bought the "big rig" right out of the gate are more likely to be Snobbish. But We also see people who automatically ASSume that because we have a big rig that we must be snobs. Without even giving so much as a friendly nod.
True about this being an issue on both ends.

Two points come to mind:

1) When thinking about everyone "working their way up through the camping ranks" of tent, TT, etc... be careful about assuming that everyone in a CG today thinks that they are "camping". Today's big rigs are a wonderful way to travel and see this great country... especially if you have pets, like sleeping in your own bed at night, etc, etc.

Although in my younger years I did my share of tent and boat camping, when we travel in my 40 DP I just don't feel like I'm "going off camping". I'm just traveling and using campgrounds because of the facilities they offer. We're not trying to build memories every night around the campfire. We're just traveling and living on the road.

2) The only RV I've ever owned is my current coach. It's a 40 DP and I bought it new... but I don't think I've ever even seen a silver spoon and went to bed hungry more than a few nights while growing up. This is a great country.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #167

Class Snobs???

One of the things that I've most enjoyed about being an RVer is that there has never seemed to be ANY class distinction in campgrounds. For many years, my wife and I traveled in our 17' 1993 Class "B", and no matter what type of rig other campers were driving, it never seemed to make any difference. Now that we've moved up in size to a 31' Class "A", it's certainly not going to make any difference what type/size/class unit someone else is driving. I also don't discriminate against other races in campgrounds. In fact, I love it when I see different races enjoying the lifestyle. I base my beliefs and opinions on the ACTIONS of people, and if they act respectful, that's the way they'll be treated. If they act like idiots, then they will be ignored. If someone is blasting music, splitting wood, or screaming & yelling at 2 am, it doesn't make any difference to me whether they're driving an A, B, C, TT, 5ver, pop-up, etc, I'm not going to be very friendly towards them. Otherwise, I'm going to treat everyone equal. :>)
bigcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
We went from a Truck Camper to a class A. When we would be setting up or breaking camp with the TC others would come buy to talk almost every time and on more than one ocasion I would have to ask them to wait until we were finished so I could talk. I may have hurt a few fealings. But with the class A it is very rare that anyone will stop buy and we are still the same people. I miss the old days of meeting every one.
AHAH! This is a perfect example of my concern in the original post ...

NOT that class Aers were snobs, but the reverse - that others might PERCEIVE them to be, and not be as friendly.

It has been amazing to watch this thread grow and hear the many and varied opinions and experiences of all posters.
I'm going to take your advice and just offer a big smile to all!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome