Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

Are class A RVers "snobs"??

started from a different thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaperon View Post
I used to wave at all other RV`s when we first started out, but have become jaded enough to only wave back when waved to. Same as greeting people at RV parks. I really do believe there is a class issue for owners of motorhomes or perhaps people are really just frightened to get out and make new friends
I so hope you are wrong about the "class issue".

I am preparing to purchase my first MH, and am super excited about it. After hundreds of hours of looking at floorplans and MH and reading forums, I have decided, since I am a single female planning on full-timing, that a larger class A would best meet my needs because of the easier set-up and more living space. Plus I do NOT want to drive a truck as my regular transport, I would rather drive the MH and tow a smaller vehicle for the around town stuff.

But that decision has been tough, since that "class issue" mentality was very prevalent when I grew up 40++ years ago. Maybe not from the class A people, but from us more economically challenged families, we classified them as "snobs" while not knowing anything about them except they had the "expensive" MHs.

I am looking forward to that CG comaraderie, and am hoping the trailer folks don't perceive that "class divide" from the MH, or vice versa. I think part of it might be just the MH is so self-contained they don't get outside as much, which is why I have made the design of an "outdoor kitchen" a major part of my planned equipment. I'll be renting several times before actually purchasing, so I will get a little test of the camping atmosphere, although good or bad it won't change my decision to full-time and travel the next few years.

What do you say folks? What has your campground experience been? Any Hints or tips?

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Personally, I've never noticed a "class" difference around the campground.

People are people. We just choose a different way to get to the same place to do the same thing!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I absolutely have noticed a bit of RV snobbery. Amazing how some people think a bigger payment makes them superior in some way.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I will only speak for myself. We spend much, or even most of our time outside our coach. We cook and eat outside whenever possible, read outside, and of course walk our dogs and or children.

I'll talk to anyone who meets my eye, and smile, wave, and say hello to encourage it.

I have seen some who choose to remain inside thier rigs, of whatever type, this is thier decision.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Haven't been out a ton in about 6 months. I had a cute little 2005 Winnie Sightseer before 29 ft plus toad, could drive it anywhere. Some of the big boys might have felt superior but didn't bother me. I'm just a square peg though as I travel with my mentally challenged daughter. Some people are just super nice and some look down their nose, its just people and I don't let it bother me.

Oh, I do remember one time we stopped for the night and were camped next to the most beautiful coach I had ever seen. I think it was some custom job out of Canada, the park manager said he came in and its there most of the time and he works somewhere around there. He definitely snubbed me while I was hooking up my water and sewer, maybe he was just afraid I would ask for help, not me! I would have liked to tell him what a beauty I thought it was, but that's ok.

However, we sold it, trying not to question if we should have cause we did. I now have a very old bird a 1992 American Eagle, 38 ft, I think I'm at my limit on size, so we may get snubbed quite a bit. I will tell you more later as I haven't had it out, we have been updating and fixing stuff on it for a few months. I'm hoping the final touches are this week.

Don't let it bother you there are lots of very nice people out there and many are friendly. Just have a smile on your face, that helps a lot.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #6

We were proud of our entry level Class A...We took it on a maiden voyage to a local camp ground which is mostly seasonal campers. I got a, " Must be nice" comment from a camper walking by. I felt like saying, " I'm sure there are a few men like yourself in Indiana that appreciate someone buying a new RV that they had worked hard to build."

I kept my thoughts to myself.

That was the exception. Everyone else was very friendly.
Tv Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not spend a lot, actually, any time at places like KOA or the upper end "parks". I started with a vintage TT (1985 18') an then moved over to a 1990 32' Class A MH.

The places that I stay are state, county & federal parks. You can have a quarter of a million rig parked right next to someone like me with my 1985 TT.

I was never snubbed by them. Granted they could easily see me drooling over their beautiful coach, so maybe that went a long way in endearing myself to them Or maybe the folks that frequent the state/county & federal parks are more easy going. Don't know but I have never not waved at someone, who waved at me, and have never been snubbed by someone that I smiled and waved at.

My two cents is to buy the coach that fits YOU and you are happy with. Don't worry about anyone else. For the most part (and you will always find the exception) RV people- of all walks-- pop up, TT, 5er, Class C, Class A, are friendly folk. Just smile and say Hi

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Personally, I've never noticed a "class" difference around the campground.

People are people. We just choose a different way to get to the same place to do the same thing!
Same here.
bullsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I read some of that thread...strange folks with strange minds arriving at staranger conclusions. Having camped for some 3o some years from a VW poptop to our current rig I think not too much has changed for some folks...but some change is of course a reflection of society in general. I wave at other campers whatever they are driving...and speak with folks of all "classes". Look how many folks live in neighborhoods and never speak to people three doors down...works for them fine and dandy. Same thing happens in campgrounds.

It's a great way to travel this beautiful country. Having traveled in all 50 states and all the provinces of Canada we find that people are just people evrywhere.

Now if you really want to wave...travel Nebraska from east to west on US20...the farther west you go the bigger the waves get....cars, rvs, trucks, tractors, cowboys on horseback, they all wave. Stop and fuel in small towns and talk to locals, small city and county campgrounds, some free and you will find the heartland of America. The east and west coast folks just seem more pre-occupied with stuff.

As Corvette owners say "Save the Wave" and enjoy the ride...certainly buy what makes you happy, life is too short to worry some of the stuff on these forums.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You have good and friendly people that drive corvettes, ride motorcycles, drive trucks, BMWs and what have you. You also have [moderator edit] in the same catagory. It really doesn't matter, people are people no matter what. I will say RVers seem more laid back and more friendly on a whole. I contribute that to being on vacation or retired out doing what they like to do. You'll meet a lot of great people in CGs regardless of what you have or they have. You will also encounter a few bad ones. Enjoy the good ones and ignore the bad ones. Life is good if you allow it.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think there are snobs in just about everything, including RV's. Some people just have that big ego that won't let them accept anyone as an equal. In their mind their stuff is always going to be better than yours.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #12

For the rest of you, thx for the input! LOL!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This may get to be a lot of fun but...time to ignore this topic already.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Miss Kathryn, I think somebody is just yanking your chain....
Welcome to the forums and I hope you have a wonderful adventure!

Tags
motorhome